Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 12:22 PM

213 posts, read 550,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
Murder rates - it was on the cover of last Sunday's paper - mostly seems to be downtown.
Actually most of the murders are around the projects, not in the downtown area. The central downtown area is safer than many areas of town including west Knoxville. An article came out in the News Sentinel a couple of years ago that had a break down of various crimes per police precinct. The downtown precinct had less overall crime incidents than the precinct that included the Westown Mall.

Down town is experiencing a renaissance, and many great things are happing there that some of us thought we would never see again. Two of the biggest misconceptions that keep some people from coming downtown are parking and crime. The truth is that the area IS safe, and yes there IS free parking downtown after 6pm on weekdays and all day on weekends.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:33 PM
Eat

303 posts, read 1,141,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc. T. View Post

Murder rates per capita are higher here than in the major metor areas of Pittsburgh, Minneapolis-St.Paul and Honolulu - US Census data - perhaps, some folks, as you indicate, have become impervious to the deaths of their fellow citizens. Shalom, always.
Three whole places. Wow.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:06 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
I like Knoxville a lot because it is so different from anywhere else I've lived, and liberal enough. But if I were to travel to CA, I'm sure I would feel the way you do.
Well I'm from CA (lived here most of my 49 years) and have visited Knoxville. I am impressed enough that I am willing to leave CA and move to East Tenn. So I guess that blows that theory. I'm leaving CA to go live in Knoxville the murder/traffic capitol of the world I guess! LOL Actually we're leaving because the CA traffic and crime and high cost of living are just not something we want to do any longer. Every weekend we have to read about the driveby shootings and gang related murders and home invasion robberies that occur on a weekly basis. Actually it's almost daily here in Sacramento. So next year, when we retire, East Tenn here we come.
Honestly, you can't really think Knoxville traffic is bad. I have to leave my house before 6:30 am or I'll never make it to work by 8:00. I live 35 miles (all freeway) from my job. Rush hour here is from 6:30 to 9:00 every weekday, bumper to bumper, stop and go, for miles. And this is true of most metro areas in CA.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:57 AM

66 posts, read 249,682 times
Shadow,

Moving from a big city (Philadelphia) to Knoxville was the best thing I ever did for myself and my family. We love it here. We had many relatives from CA who couldn't believe we would move to TN. However, whenever they visit they wish they were here, too. In fact, two of them are planning on moving when they retire. There are always naysayers on every forum (usually the same users naysaying on multiple forums!). I put a number of links in an earlier post (page 2 I believe) refuting most of the negative claims in this thread. As you probably already know, Tennessee and East TN in particular has one of the highest "migration" rates of any states (in, not out!). I'm sure you will love it here.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:22 PM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
I think we will too. I think Doc T's experience and opinion is not that of the majority of Knoxville residents. If it were, people would be leaving in droves, like they are from CA and FL. Looking forward to another visit to TN soon, and our eventual retirement in a year or so.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:38 PM

48 posts, read 133,003 times
I do not mean to laugh but seriously I am curious on what Eden you have been living to make such a stark comparison. I just moved here from the great San Antonio and a BAD traffic day here is lighter than anything I have seen San Antonio.

as for crime...still far better than what I escape from.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:46 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,131,557 times
I definitely agree, maxamom! I currently live in a small GA town of 30,000, give or take a couple, and it takes me 45 minutes to drive 6 miles during the "to work" and "home from work" hours!

When we have been in Knoxville it hasn't taken any longer to go from the north side of Knox on I-75 to south of Knox during the same time periods.

I look at this as quite an easy commute!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville