Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 07:20 AM

2 posts, read 3,757 times

Advertisements

Heard the North (Powell) and West (Farragut, Concord) are the more upscale areas in Knox County TN.

Me and my Family would like to leave New Jersey to retired to the South. We like a place with the convenience of New Jersey minus the bad atmosphere of rude people and insane taxation/cost of living.

School districts is non factor, we are all retired.

I'd like to find out interesting attractions and anything that would "sell the package" for a trip to Knox County.

I heard the taxation is far lower in TN, but the sales tax is higher. No state income tax on retirement income.

We want to buy a big rancher home with public utilities, which there doesn't seem to be a shortage of in Knox County

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2017, 12:50 PM

257 posts, read 489,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeNJ View Post
Heard the North (Powell) and West (Farragut, Concord) are the more upscale areas in Knox County TN.

Me and my Family would like to leave New Jersey to retired to the South. We like a place with the convenience of New Jersey minus the bad atmosphere of rude people and insane taxation/cost of living.

I'd like to find out interesting attractions and anything that would "sell the package" for a trip to Knox County.

I heard the taxation is far lower in TN, but the sales tax is higher. No state income tax on retirement income.

We want to buy a big rancher home with public utilities, which there doesn't seem to be a shortage of in Knox County

Thoughts?
What are you referring to when you comment “sell the package for a trip to Knox County”? If you are asking for the advantages to you in retiring in the area, you already have some strong reasons. Lower cost of living with no state income taxes and low property taxes. If you like the outdoors, we have wonderful areas for hiking, boating, fishing, and camping. I suggest you make a list of activities that you see yourself doing in retirement and then look at possible retirement areas that meet your needs. Eastern TN is more than just Knox County! If you have an interest in the area, come down and spend 3-4 days in the area. Some things you won’t find here are jughandles for left hand turns, diners, and bad traffic!

Old 12-02-2017, 02:53 PM

191 posts, read 307,956 times
Knox County has many neighborhoods with safe, well-kept houses, and stable property values. Is that what you mean by 'upscale?' Or do you have a price point or house size in mind?

If you give us some idea what you and your family members enjoy doing and what kind of neighborhood you're looking for (large lots? country? walkability? access to stores? HOA?) we could mention a few places that you can view online. Public utilities shouldn't be an issue as long as you stay in Knox County.

Old 12-02-2017, 09:57 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
You need to explore these areas in question first in person. Visit, look at property (not just pretty properties with mountain/water views/access, but close to stuff you'd actually use), check out groceries, doctor's offices, etc., whatever you need day to day. Do not get sold on realtor recommendations of pretty mountain/water views alone - many of those properties may not be practical for day to day living.

Farragut is an affluent community and very nice by regional standards. If you are looking for affluence compared to the top end of NJ, nowhere in TN will have that. Sales tax is roughly ~9.5%, slightly variations locally.

Check out the community to see if it meets the needs. Do not move solely for taxation.

Old 12-03-2017, 02:32 AM

2 posts, read 3,757 times
200k to 290k price range for a 2,000+ sqft Rancher home. Maybe 0.30 acre lot size minimum? Enough to let the next dog roam around in the backyard. No HOA Fees strongly preferred.

I meant upscale as in it they are building those areas up with nicer houses and stores ect. Would prefer a somewhat affluent community. But then again housing costs are rising, if I find the house of my dreams in the boring part of town that's a possibility.

My parents like to see nature, like going to local parks to take a walk. See the lakes with wildlife ect. We shop around the malls, plaza's and flea markets.

Also heard they got the train ride in Knoxville, should bring back memories of that Lancaster County PA train ride.

Old 12-03-2017, 06:56 AM

The Choto/Northshore area near Farragut may be a good place to start looking (at least online). There are houses in your price range; $300,000 is around the midpoint range for houses, so some are far above and but you can find something new in the $250,000+ range. Property values seem stable.

It's a short distance to Turkey Creek (the major shopping hub) and easy access to medical offices, theaters, restaurants, etc. It's safe enough - our major crimes seem to be car break-ins and crimes of opportunity when garages are left open.

It's near both the Tennessee River and Turkey Creek, near several parks, and the YMCA.

Browse around online and see if this looks like a place that you'd be happy. We like it.

Old 12-03-2017, 07:42 AM

2,539 posts, read 1,907,042 times
Ditto on geranium's comments on the Northshore Dr. area. I just bought my retirement home there. Northshore is NOT walkable in many areas because there is no shoulder in parts of the road and across the bridges, BUT it is literally minutes in the car to multiple parks with multiple safe walking trails along the lake. It is 2 miles from my house to a Publix, Kroger, Target, drug store, etc. Houses are more expensive than in some other areas, but the proximity to the lake is worth it. I wanted an HOA because I wanted a neighborhood with a pool. Even with a pool and clubhouse, my 2100 sq. ft. 4-sides brick ranch built in 2004 was under $300K.

Old 12-03-2017, 04:07 PM

213 posts, read 216,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeNJ View Post

Thoughts?
You might be interested in Tellico Village which is in Louden, TN.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:52 AM

Arabus, are all the utilities in Tellico Village government owned? I was told that the water system is the responsibility of the Property Owners Association. And a friend told me that at least some of the roads weren't maintained by the county. What's the real story?

Old 12-04-2017, 01:15 PM

2,539 posts, read 1,907,042 times
Tellico Village is not going to be very convenient to a lot of shopping, if that is a concern, and there are definitely fees involved in living there. They do seem to have lots and lots of activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville