U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 01:45 PM

196 posts, read 203,150 times

Advertisements

So I've noticed so much more trash on the sides of the roads. Has there always been this much trash everywhere ad I never noticed it before?
I pick up trash in my neighborhood and parks we go to, but really am shocked by how much garbage I'm seeing on roads in city and county limits.
I know they did away with the DUI trash cleanup as community service, but are there other people who do?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 08:59 PM

360 posts, read 391,819 times
I believe someone else brought this up a couple of months ago.

After coming back from my visit from CA, I have to agree. There is more trash here on the side of the roads. I also noticed it on my trips back and forth from KY and GA for business.

I have never seen community clean-up on the roads here but it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I honestly don't think there is a very concerted effort to do so.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetoughkitty View Post
I believe someone else brought this up a couple of months ago.

After coming back from my visit from CA, I have to agree. There is more trash here on the side of the roads. I also noticed it on my trips back and forth from KY and GA for business.

I have never seen community clean-up on the roads here but it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I honestly don't think there is a very concerted effort to do so.

I'll try to look up the older thread.
When we visited the area before we moved here we were impressed at how clean the roads were. Everyday I'm seeing more now. It makes me sad.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:17 AM

22,583 posts, read 50,457,428 times
I'm out on the roads almost every day and although the sides of the roads aren't perfect, they are usually pretty decent. When I lived in Florida, especially Southwest Florida, they were simply awful. If you look up the old thread, I say that the roads are not strewn with trash all over the place like someone contended.

However, this past weekend I was in a middle-class neighborhood in West Knoxville and hooboy, the roads in that small stretch of road were the worst I've ever seen. Maybe a trash bag had opened up somewhere, but it was awful. I immediately thought of this thread.

I'll be on the lookout for trash from now on since a couple of you have noticed an uptick.

I will say that yes, there are groups that adopt roads. I've seen the signs. Maybe we should start our own group!

Old 01-01-2018, 03:59 PM

255 posts, read 421,926 times
I was the original poster on this link you referred to:

How to change the mindset that littering is okay?

I still have the opinion that there is a lot more roadside litter than these places we have lived before - Northern MS, Western PA, Eastern PA, Western NY. There was an interesting article in today’s Knox News how Knox County can’t keep up with litter since they can no longer use DUI convicted persons to clean up litter. I content that a lot of the problem is how you were raised. If people in your life when you were young thought it was okay to toss trash out the car window, you are more likely to follow that example.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I'm out on the roads almost every day and although the sides of the roads aren't perfect, they are usually pretty decent. When I lived in Florida, especially Southwest Florida, they were simply awful. If you look up the old thread, I say that the roads are not strewn with trash all over the place like someone contended.

However, this past weekend I was in a middle-class neighborhood in West Knoxville and hooboy, the roads in that small stretch of road were the worst I've ever seen. Maybe a trash bag had opened up somewhere, but it was awful. I immediately thought of this thread.

I'll be on the lookout for trash from now on since a couple of you have noticed an uptick.

I will say that yes, there are groups that adopt roads. I've seen the signs. Maybe we should start our own group!
Maybe its specific areas. I drive a lot through Fountain City, and Parkdale Rd looks like a beer can collection. A few roads between Corryton and Halls (i know, county not city) are covered in tires, trash, TV's, cans, I think I've seen mattresses!

Old 01-02-2018, 08:22 PM

22,583 posts, read 50,457,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYS2Tennessee View Post
Maybe its specific areas. I drive a lot through Fountain City, and Parkdale Rd looks like a beer can collection. A few roads between Corryton and Halls (i know, county not city) are covered in tires, trash, TV's, cans, I think I've seen mattresses!
Yeah, I'm not talking about the rural areas, they often have typical Appalachian trash problems. I was just up in Lake City (okay, Rocky Top) and it was God-awful. But Parkdale in Fountain City? I owned a house two streets from there. I'm really surprised. By the way, convicts didn't generally pick up roads that aren't major. I wonder what's going on?

Old 01-02-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Yeah, I'm not talking about the rural areas, they often have typical Appalachian trash problems. I was just up in Lake City (okay, Rocky Top) and it was God-awful. But Parkdale in Fountain City? I owned a house two streets from there. I'm really surprised. By the way, convicts didn't generally pick up roads that aren't major. I wonder what's going on?

Every house I drove past today on Adair in FC had at least one cup/can/bag the edge on the property. I'm seeing trash seriously everywhere.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:03 AM

610 posts, read 1,450,631 times
I live out in Corryton, off Emory, and I noticed the other day it seems worse than usual. I go out 4-5 times a year and pick up on the road from my neighborhood out to Emory, it needs it again. In Florida, outside Tampa, my old scout troop adopted a road to cleanup years ago. They still police it every 3 months. Community involvement goes a long way.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:21 PM

59 posts, read 52,662 times
I don't live in Knoxville yet, but I've been seeing litter and trash everywhere that I go. No more only gum wrappers, large pieces of litter. Below I've shared 2 commercials from the 70s about not littering, and a 3rd song. When I see this increasing litter I think about that Indian (I say Native American now) commercial.

This one is very poignant:

Crying Indian Commercial from 70s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Suu84khNGY

The one below I remember, but with a different ending, "And if everybody don't pitch in, to clean up America, it won't be America, anymore."

We've Got To Pitch In

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4oSkW5KvXI

Never head the one below by Z.Z., but the chorus ends like I remember.

Z.Z. Hill - Clean Up America

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xyKSzpGSAY

I used to walk up and down my street and pick up trash but I stopped because more kept appearing. People driving by would see me picking it up and instead of complimenting me would jeer or laugh. When I would come back out the next day or later there would be more trash where they saw me picking up. I know that some people were making life harder for me and thought it was a big joke. So now I only keep trash away immediately in front of our house. It's a shame when you're doing something good and you become a target, but then a lot of things in our world today are a shame.

Last edited by LadyFisher; 01-17-2018 at 05:23 PM.. Reason: To clarify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville