Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 06:55 PM

10 posts, read 12,483 times

Advertisements

Hi all.. My husband and I love TN. We live in a small town in WV & have visited Knox several times as well as other areas of TN. I actually almost took a job in Knox several years ago but my husband could not transfer with his job. So basically I am not trying to be rude or intrusive, but in your opinion, what is a combined comfortable salary to live in this area? My husband is in nursing school and I am a speech pathologist. Unfortunately, it seems that a move here will be a pay cut for me but I'm willing to sacrifice for a nicer area. I appreciate any feedback. I understand that TN has fewer taxes than WV and your dollar in the housing market appears to go further.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:04 PM

377 posts, read 470,070 times
kbb1989,

Nurses don't make as much here in Knoxville, but the cost of living makes up for it. Not only do we have no income tax, but generally, the dollar goes a bit further due to lower housing costs in general. I don't know that anyone could answer your question about wage requirements, because we don't know what is acceptable to you.

Nurses are in the drive's seat now because here aren't enough of them. They may make less per hour, but they can control the hours they work--especially if they have a masters. Here in Knoxville, some employers will even pay for further education. Also, nurse practitioners are in high demand. The largest health care employer in Knoxville is Covenant. There are others too, such as UT, Tennova, and Blount Memorial.

Old 03-04-2018, 03:12 PM

Thank you. I appreciate your response!

Old 03-04-2018, 07:14 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbb1989 View Post
Hi all.. My husband and I love TN. We live in a small town in WV & have visited Knox several times as well as other areas of TN. I actually almost took a job in Knox several years ago but my husband could not transfer with his job. So basically I am not trying to be rude or intrusive, but in your opinion, what is a combined comfortable salary to live in this area? My husband is in nursing school and I am a speech pathologist. Unfortunately, it seems that a move here will be a pay cut for me but I'm willing to sacrifice for a nicer area. I appreciate any feedback. I understand that TN has fewer taxes than WV and your dollar in the housing market appears to go further.
Keep in mind that while nursing jobs are somewhat in demand many go to locals. I have two friends both nurses and it is very common for locals to get preference. You may need to apply to every hospital even if you have a good resume/background.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:54 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Keep in mind that while nursing jobs are somewhat in demand many go to locals. I have two friends both nurses and it is very common for locals to get preference. You may need to apply to every hospital even if you have a good resume/background.
Not exactly a scientific study. My casual data suggests that many nurses in Knoxville are from somewhere else.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:57 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathiOH1 View Post
kbb1989,

Nurses don't make as much here in Knoxville, but the cost of living makes up for it. Not only do we have no income tax, but generally, the dollar goes a bit further due to lower housing costs in general. I don't know that anyone could answer your question about wage requirements, because we don't know what is acceptable to you.

Nurses are in the drive's seat now because here aren't enough of them. They may make less per hour, but they can control the hours they work--especially if they have a masters. Here in Knoxville, some employers will even pay for further education. Also, nurse practitioners are in high demand. The largest health care employer in Knoxville is Covenant. There are others too, such as UT, Tennova, and Blount Memorial.
Are you a RN Recruiter or do you hire RN's? Are you an RN? What do you mean nurses don't make as much here in Knoxville? As much as where?

I could write a book about Covenant. As a matter of fact I just had a phone call about more people quitting there just this afternoon. I know plenty of nurses and non nurses that have left in droves.

Just curious as to your data or experience in this arena......

Old 03-06-2018, 06:14 PM

377 posts, read 470,070 times
My spouse is in administration there and so is in touch with the employment needs and practices. I'm sorry if some of your friends have had bad experiences but there are many people who enjoy working in nursing for the Knoxville and surrounding communities. Each hospital has its own personality so you can't really lump them all together.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:24 PM

Thanks to everyone for the input. It will be a while before we can make this transition. If it is meant to be, it will be

Old 03-06-2018, 06:56 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbb1989 View Post
Thanks to everyone for the input. It will be a while before we can make this transition. If it is meant to be, it will be
Best of luck to you kbb!

Kathi - to answer your DM; no I don't work at Covenant but I do have ties there. I don't have a negative attitude toward healthcare in Knoxville; quite the opposite actually. For example, I've been helping people on this forum with healthcare questions for over 10 years!

Old 03-08-2018, 06:04 AM

12 posts, read 13,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
That wasn't our experience, actually. My husband is an RN and from Virginia originally. He received offers from everywhere he interviewed....and none of the offers (besides not offering relo assistance or sign on bonus) surprised us with the starting wage offer from each, we were actually quite impressed since we were told over and over that nurses don't make a lot in the area. For reference he interviewed at UT, Blount Memorial, and Park West.

We just closed on a house outside of Knoxville this past friday...so this is all very recent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville