Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 05:23 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times

Advertisements

Realtor.com sent me an article today claiming Knoxville and 9 other small cities are ready to break out in population growth and in rising home prices. They attributed this due to the great location at a confluence of interstates and its proximity to booming cities like Atlanta, Nashville and Charlette.

Wife and I are looking forward to a near term visit, her first and my second as we explore Tn is a new home for us. We have three small dogs (two weigh 10 lbs and one is a 5 lber) who travel well but finding a place to stay that allows three dogs even of this size is proving challenging so now we will set out travel times around a good house and dog sitter we know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2018, 10:19 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Have you seen this?
Pet Friendly Hotels - Official Pet Hotels
A last ditch alternative might be to rent an RV and try some of the campgrounds, great time of the year to do so.

Old 05-13-2018, 01:41 PM

745 posts, read 1,719,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Realtor.com sent me an article today claiming Knoxville and 9 other small cities are ready to break out in population growth
Depending on one's perspective, that could be a very, very mixed blessing.

Old 05-13-2018, 04:56 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Have you seen this?
Pet Friendly Hotels - Official Pet Hotels
A last ditch alternative might be to rent an RV and try some of the campgrounds, great time of the year to do so.
I have searched that site as well as Airbnb options but three dogs is the issue, many will let you keep two as long as under 80 pounds each. I have had some luck finding one taht would allow three so small but I can not get anyone to commit to me that its ok for three dogs so cant chance it.

I agree to the next poster that higher priced homes is not a blessing for those of us trying to land a place to call home in Knoxville. But it does comfirm my view and those of the many friends and advisers on here

Old 05-13-2018, 05:56 PM

745 posts, read 1,719,329 times
Quote:
I have searched that site as well as Airbnb options but three dogs is the issue, many will let you keep two as long as under 80 pounds each. I have had some luck finding one taht would allow three so small but I can not get anyone to commit to me that its ok for three dogs so cant chance it.

I agree to the next poster that higher priced homes is not a blessing for those of us trying to land a place to call home in Knoxville. But it does comfirm my view and those of the many friends and advisers on here
Higher priced homes is a big issue, maybe the biggest for many, but I was thinking about the population growth and its attendant issues.

Old 05-13-2018, 06:52 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
I don't believe that Knoxville is "ready for a break out" any more than other moderate growth, mid-sized Southern cities like Chattanooga, Huntsville, or Lexington. Chattanooga and Huntsville, in particular, are even closer to Atlanta and Nashville than is Knoxville. I dearly wish Knoxville would "break out," though, as I'm stuck owning a house in Knoxville that's not worth what I paid for it 11 years ago.

There are certainly pockets of Knoxville where the cost of real estate has risen (namely the McMansion suburbs), but there are plenty of pockets (like mine) that have been stagnant for the last 10-15 years and show no signs of improvement. The good news is there are plenty of cute, tidy little homes to be had for less than $100k in central Knoxville. The bad news is you probably won't be able to resell them anytime soon for much of a profit.

I'd be very wary of a web site run by realtors who want people to hurry up and invest money in real estate. It does seem a little self-serving.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 05-13-2018, 07:27 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weisgarber1 View Post
Higher priced homes is a big issue, maybe the biggest for many, but I was thinking about the population growth and its attendant issues.
Exactly. I escaped Florida for a reason.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:56 PM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
These cities are doing "OK," but there is a clear difference between the Knoxville level cities and places like Nashville. Knoxville just isn't generating the critical mass of high paying jobs that will draw in tons of outsiders and increase property values. It's not a tourist/resort area either. Slow and steady growth is probably best over the very long term.

Old 05-14-2018, 05:14 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Realtor.com sent me an article today claiming Knoxville and 9 other small cities are ready to break out in population growth and in rising home prices. They attributed this due to the great location at a confluence of interstates and its proximity to booming cities like Atlanta, Nashville and Charlette.

Wife and I are looking forward to a near term visit, her first and my second as we explore Tn is a new home for us. We have three small dogs (two weigh 10 lbs and one is a 5 lber) who travel well but finding a place to stay that allows three dogs even of this size is proving challenging so now we will set out travel times around a good house and dog sitter we know.
Interesting that 3 dogs weighing a total of 25 pounds would cause a problem. We are coming to Knoxville with a 100 pound German Shepherd and have found no issues getting rooms.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:12 AM

377 posts, read 470,279 times
Knoxville is indeed experiencing significant growth (location/transportation is just one reason). Housing prices have been best we've seen in a long time. If you're not in a position to buy something, you may have a hard time renting with all your pets. I would suggest looking outside of Knoxville; maybe in Friendsville, Walland, or other outskirt area where someone might have a harder time selling and be willing to rent. It's also not a bad idea to post your needs on Craigslist and see if anyone bites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville