Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2018, 07:24 AM

43 posts, read 81,533 times

Advertisements

My family lives in Roanoke Va, Dallas TX and MD near DC. Every June we get together for 2 weeks on Hatteras Island NC (lovely place-not too developed due to Federal constraints at National Seashores).However, from Dallas Texas, to/from Hatteras Island is a long drive.

We are trying to find a vacation spot (understand there is no ocean) in Tennessee on lake or river, near mountains, that is not too commercialized-developed. Someplace we could rent a house or cabin where my grandchildren do not have to be monitored constantly (like at Hatteras). Though my preference would be Adirondacks of Sierra Nevadas, both these locales are too far.

I do not even know where to start in Tennessee Do you? If so please assist us. We do not need nite life or boardwalk or amusement park. Nice trails in mountains, clean lake or river and of course cable tv (ha ha). I assume A/C would be needed in June in Tennessee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 08:41 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,290,476 times
I'd look at the vacation rental cabins available in the Tellico Plains area. It's less commercialized than the areas around the Smoky Mountains National Park. You have close proximity to Tellico Lake. The mountains along the Cherohala skyway offer beautiful scenery and views along with plenty of hiking trails. The small lake at Indian Boundary is pretty ideal for swimming, canoeing, picnicking, etc. Make sure to check out Bald River Falls, Baby Falls, and the trout hatchery along the Tellico River if you go to Tellico Plains. The historic sites at Tellico Blockhouse, Fort Loudon, and Sequioah Birthplace are worth a visit as well.

Old 06-30-2018, 10:49 PM

284 posts, read 362,161 times
Google Norris Lake. Beautiful clean lake with cabin rentals about 30 miles north of Knoxville.

Old 07-01-2018, 01:21 PM

233 posts, read 305,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Away View Post
Google Norris Lake. Beautiful clean lake with cabin rentals about 30 miles north of Knoxville.
That's gorgeous. Thanks for the tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville