Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 04:51 PM

233 posts, read 306,095 times

Advertisements

Hi folks been looking at Greenville SC too but hubby likes the idea of no personal income tax
in Tenn. How do you like Knoxville? How’s the weather year round? How’s the crime? What cellular service do y’all use?
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 10:29 PM

5 posts, read 6,124 times
I agree with your hubby. No state income tax here in TN, though you do pay tax on dividend/interest beyond $2,500 for joint filers. I moved in from Northern VA (close to DC) for two main reasons: (1) no state income tax, (2) low cost of living. I have been here for almost three years now, and I have never regretted my decision. My wife was not totally with me when we first moved in. After a couple of months, she began to fall in love with the city and area.

Knoxville is a beautiful city large enough to give you everything necessary for quality living, and yet small enough to enable you to escape the crowdedness/craziness/congestion of major metropolitan areas. Weather is almost perfect, with mild winter and hot (but tolerable) summer. It's a place for people who don't like harsh winters.

Crime rate is a bit higher than national average. But if you live in West Knox area it's relatively safe. I accidentally left my back door open (slightly, or ajar) for 5 nights (and days) and no strangers ever came close to my house during that period. One day my neighbor across the street left his garage open the whole day, and I saw nobody even curious to get close to his home. But safety in apartment communities can be a little sketchy. Depending on where you live, you can find your car broken in overnight.

I met a real estate investor who moved in from Washington D.C. area. When we exchanged our experience, he summed up by saying: "you get low cost of living without sacrificing quality of living."

Most common cellular operators here: AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, U.S. Cellular. I find Mint (https://www.mintmobile.com/) a good deal. It's an MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator) on T-Mobile networks.

If you do choose Knoxville make sure you rent or own a home in the West Knox area. Recommended: Farragut, Hardin Valley, Cedar Bluff.

Last edited by movingknox; 06-23-2018 at 10:43 PM..

Old 06-24-2018, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingknox View Post
I agree with your hubby. No state income tax here in TN, though you do pay tax on dividend/interest beyond $2,500 for joint filers. I moved in from Northern VA (close to DC) for two main reasons: (1) no state income tax, (2) low cost of living. I have been here for almost three years now, and I have never regretted my decision. My wife was not totally with me when we first moved in. After a couple of months, she began to fall in love with the city and area.

Knoxville is a beautiful city large enough to give you everything necessary for quality living, and yet small enough to enable you to escape the crowdedness/craziness/congestion of major metropolitan areas. Weather is almost perfect, with mild winter and hot (but tolerable) summer. It's a place for people who don't like harsh winters.

Crime rate is a bit higher than national average. But if you live in West Knox area it's relatively safe. I accidentally left my back door open (slightly, or ajar) for 5 nights (and days) and no strangers ever came close to my house during that period. One day my neighbor across the street left his garage open the whole day, and I saw nobody even curious to get close to his home. But safety in apartment communities can be a little sketchy. Depending on where you live, you can find your car broken in overnight.

I met a real estate investor who moved in from Washington D.C. area. When we exchanged our experience, he summed up by saying: "you get low cost of living without sacrificing quality of living."

Most common cellular operators here: AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, U.S. Cellular. I find Mint (https://www.mintmobile.com/) a good deal. It's an MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator) on T-Mobile networks.

If you do choose Knoxville make sure you rent or own a home in the West Knox area. Recommended: Farragut, Hardin Valley, Cedar Bluff.
Thanks for the info...yeah Farragut looks interesting and that’s where Costco is!

Old 06-24-2018, 02:14 AM

I was just reading about MVNO’s. I like TMobile and Verizon. I have both which helps when one or the other isn’t doing well. My hubby likes the idea of Tenn more and more now that I read your response. Thanks again.

Old 06-24-2018, 09:46 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
In another thread in another city, you said that you don't like the cold and your husband doesn't like humidity. As stated before, the South is very humid and it can get a bit cold. Not Chicago or even Canada cold but it does get cold. If he hates humidity, though, stay out of the South. Try the Southwest.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
In another thread in another city, you said that you don't like the cold and your husband doesn't like humidity. As stated before, the South is very humid and it can get a bit cold. Not Chicago or even Canada cold but it does get cold. If he hates humidity, though, stay out of the South. Try the Southwest.
Yes I understand that but Knoxville has less humidity than Florida so that’s relatively better for him.
He can adapt. He lived in Redding, CA where it was 120?in the shade. No humidity but very intolerable for the most part.

Old 06-24-2018, 12:57 PM

377 posts, read 470,279 times
lifexponential - We moved to Knoxville area ten years ago and I can't imagine leaving. The income tax savings is nice. Sales tax is higher at roughly 9.75% but it's a fair way to tax those who have expendable income.

Verizon is definitely one of the most reliable service providers here. Some of my friends use US Cellular, but I've heard mixed reviews depending on where you live.

Crime looks higher if you google city comparisons but don't be alarmed. Knoxville counts every crime individually. Many/most cities don't. They lump multiple crimes into one to look better.

Old 06-24-2018, 01:30 PM

745 posts, read 1,719,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathiOH1 View Post
Sales tax is higher at roughly 9.75% but it's a fair way to tax those who have expendable income.

The local sales tax rates (up to 2.75% IIRC) are capped at a total dollar amount of $1600 and then the tax rate reverts to the state rate of seven per cent on the sales tax amounts exceeding $1600. So, big ticket items would have a lower average tax rate, between 7 and 9.75%.

Old 06-24-2018, 03:06 PM

5 posts, read 6,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifexponential View Post
I was just reading about MVNO’s. I like TMobile and Verizon. I have both which helps when one or the other isn’t doing well. My hubby likes the idea of Tenn more and more now that I read your response. Thanks again.
You are very welcome, lifexponential. You are right, Costco is in Farragut. We shop there at least weekly.

On sales tax rate, someone mentioned about lower rate (7-9+%) for big ticket items. I want to add that for staples like milk and potato the rate is far lower, certainly below 5%.

Another thing worth mentioning is that residential property tax rate is exceptionally low in Knox County and adjoining counties. It's about 0.53% of the appraised value. (More precisely, residential properties are taxed at 2.12% Assessed Value, which is defined as 1/4 of appraised value. Thus, property tax = 0.53% x appraised value.) That, along with the great affordability of residential properties relative to household disposable income, makes home ownership a very realistic option.

I suspect that the property tax rate here is one of the lowest in the nation.

Old 06-24-2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathiOH1 View Post
lifexponential - We moved to Knoxville area ten years ago and I can't imagine leaving. The income tax savings is nice. Sales tax is higher at roughly 9.75% but it's a fair way to tax those who have expendable income.

Verizon is definitely one of the most reliable service providers here. Some of my friends use US Cellular, but I've heard mixed reviews depending on where you live.

Crime looks higher if you google city comparisons but don't be alarmed. Knoxville counts every crime individually. Many/most cities don't. They lump multiple crimes into one to look better.
Thanks. Yeah I’m glad I have Verizon on one of my phones. How is T mobile?

What area did you move from?
Also how is the weather year round?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville