Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 05:48 PM
LS1

1 posts, read 1,064 times

Advertisements

I lived in northern CA for 25 years or so, but other than a brief stop at the airport, I haven't spent time in Bakersfield. Having lived within driving distance of Oakland, East Palo Alto and East San Jose, I can certainly understand wanting to get out of CA.

I moved to Knox late last year and I'm very grateful to have landed in such a nice place to live. Just a few things I've experienced/noticed since I've been here:

- I don't miss the wall to wall people in CA. I felt like I lived at an airport out there at times. Well, I mean one of those big sprawling airports, TYS is actually quite nice.

- My commute is down to 20 minutes each way from an hour and 20 minutes at its worst in CA. Of course all the tech layoffs whittled that down a bit. That was one thing I absolutely dreaded about my workday back then. Not an issue here.

- No state income tax here. Sales tax is higher but not by much. I haven't lived in CA since 2005 but still had to pay CA non-resident state income tax last year for some stuff I earned from the last company I worked for out there. Its 2008? CA just will not let go.

- Even though the cost of living is lower here in comparison, my mortgage payment hasn't really gone down compared to what I paid in CA but the house here is three times roomier. No stucco. The neighbors are far away enough that I don't hear them. Its nice to actually have a yard that's big enough to support a lawn mower.

- People aren't as blunt and in your face out here, at least not that I've experienced so far. It sure makes for an easier day.

Sorry I can't address your questions specifically as I'm in a different line of work and don't have children in the local school systems but good luck, you're moving to a much better place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 07:45 PM

43 posts, read 142,097 times
Default to ls1 on knox

Ya if someone asked me why i want to move, its just what you said...

there are too many people here, all cramped together, and ALL OF THEM BUSIER than heck and in a huuuge hurry! neighbors on top of each other.

aaaaaaaggg let me out!!!

Old 04-11-2008, 10:03 PM

122 posts, read 364,199 times
lauragizzi you spoke very eloquently about the situation in California, honestly you should be a writer, you got the skills! I took my 90 count em 90 year old neighbor to the ER for low blood pressure. We got there at 3 and at 10 we gave up. Oh yes plenty of illegals, although I feel like the outcast most of the time. Another reason for the ER backup is they had at least 8 inmates waiting to be seen. As we called her daughter in law to let her know my neighbor was not going to be seen there were 8 Corrections officers and prisoners in shackles! Worst of all they braught these people Via Ambulance service from FRESNO, they were cloggin up our ER's and were from Fresno. Well at 90 she told me it scares me I cannot even get the medical attention I need. Let it be known she worked all her life and is insured to the nines so that was not even an issue. My husband waited hours in the ER with a dislocated shoulder and broken collar bone while snotty nosed babies were waiting with a mild fever. Go see a regular Doctor, ER is EMERGENCIES not runny noses. Whatever I am soooo over California. And I do welcome a slower pace of life. LS1 (like the vette motor LS1, LS2 yes?) that was very well put and a great description. I am amased that I will have a yard where my kids can play and I look forward to all those things you mentioned....Great comments Gorideaquad!

Old 04-12-2008, 12:53 AM

Middle class is becoming lower class don't you all think

Old 04-12-2008, 02:05 AM

43 posts, read 142,097 times
Default tx gor

i always fancied myself a would-be writer, lol, thanks!

im surprised i didnt get more "hatemail" after that post! though its young yet.
im sure ill get banned or slapped on the wrist. but its frusterating to have to deal with this.

ive also read a little negative feedback about californians (and floridians) ruining the areas with our mass exodus to other places less urban. ive read many a forum where there are posts complaining of such people "ruining the neighborhoods"

for those who would say such things, i offer this: imagine the same thing, this big influx of people to your nice lil town, but the people that are coming in dont want to come to find a nice town, and contribute, they want to spong off of the generous ill thought out system, and are coming over by the MILLIONS, literally the millions, clogging up the school systems, closing down hospitals, demanding that we change our language,(nay, have suceeded in practically changing the language as one cant call any place w/out having to first listen to the message in spanish, and there are more radio stations in spanish that english) protesting vehomently about the injustice of having to go through the process of becoming a citizen, and pay into the tax base which pays for all the "doles" handed out liberally. and if you dare say a word, you got the bleeding hearts of california beating their chests

i have read many posts from other states where there is california blight complaining that we are raising the price of property... and that is a bad thing. i am more concerned with my property value going down. i dunno, call me crazy.

that being said, i know those comments and thoughts are the minority, and the majority are nice and positive. but i had to address this small faction as it was kinda sitting in my craw.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:17 PM

again, well said lauragizzi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville