Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2008, 07:35 PM

396 posts, read 1,310,286 times

Advertisements

Is the real estate market really as slow here as I keep hearing? We went cruising around this Sunday looking at open houses and we saw other people looking too. The prices seem kind of high though for the income potential in the area. I don't get the feeling that there are a whole lot of serious sellers. I also don't understand why real estate is more expensive below Kingston Pike than up around Middlebrook Pike (Cedar Bluff). Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 05:59 AM
Eat

303 posts, read 1,141,545 times
Location, location, location.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:07 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,986,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilCabinGirl View Post
Is the real estate market really as slow here as I keep hearing? We went cruising around this Sunday looking at open houses and we saw other people looking too. The prices seem kind of high though for the income potential in the area. I don't get the feeling that there are a whole lot of serious sellers. I also don't understand why real estate is more expensive below Kingston Pike than up around Middlebrook Pike (Cedar Bluff). Any thoughts?
I'll give it a whack. All of these people moving to Tennessee are driving up the prices for homes that aren't worth what they're selling for. You know, if Person X can afford a $300,000 bigger home after selling a $400,000 smaller home in their former state, then Joe Tennessee is going to put his $250,000 home on the market for $300,000 and those suckers will buy it because they don't have to work for lower wages to pay it off.

Does that sound like what happened in other places years ago?

Old 04-04-2008, 06:11 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,287,634 times
I can say that it has been very very slow the past few months and only in the past week or so seemed to have picked up a little. My business is directly tied to home sales, so I have a sense of what the market is doing.

Like Eat said, prices are really location based. I really don't have an idea of prices in specific areas. The cost of a home has nothing to do with my business, so I don't keep really pay attention to what something costs.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:07 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,390,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilCabinGirl View Post
I don't get the feeling that there are a whole lot of serious sellers. I also don't understand why real estate is more expensive below Kingston Pike than up around Middlebrook Pike (Cedar Bluff). Any thoughts?
Well, it seems that most cities have a dividing line along a major artery, and Kingston Pike is Knoxville's. The area south of the Pike (or the interstate) is closer to the lake; thus, choice property. Most of the nicer neighborhoods are congregated there, and many command a premium. Is it worth it? That's a personal choice. There are some nice neighborhoods on the north side of the Pike, too.

As for serious sellers, I think anybody with their house on the market would like to sell. And I think most are smart enough to price within the comps in a slow market. But the panic selling that has hit some areas is rare here. Firesaling is primarily driven by risky ARMs resetting and those were the exception rather than the rule in Knoxville. I have not found sellers here open to low balling. They want to sell at a fair price snugly within the comps and if they can't, most will wait it out. We are experiencing a relatively normal cyclical market here, and that is the prudent decision. If you're looking for more of a bargain, I would look for a relocating seller or one eager to downsize.

Good luck!

Old 04-04-2008, 07:44 AM
Eat

303 posts, read 1,141,545 times
I think incomes here a lot higher than most people think. Blue collar wages are pretty low, but there are a number of corporate headquarters here, with their salaried staffs. Then there are the DOE complexes in the Oak Ridge area. They employ around 15,000 people, most of whom get decent pay. Add in UT and local entreprenaurship and you get a pretty solid economic base.

And then there are us retirees, for good or bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville