Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 04:42 PM

10 posts, read 20,120 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I have been seriously considering a move over the past year and a half. The good folks over on reddit helped me pinpoint the areas that would fit what I was looking for. So now I'm turning to you guys here to fill in the final details before I take the plunge.

I've read tons of posts regarding Knoxville/Maryville and surrounding areas (going back to 2007! Where's the time gone!?) I'm thinking Maryville is the best place to start off in and then possibility move into Knox proper after a few years...or not.

I have approx 5k to move/establish myself with. A background in retail and customer service. My plan has been to bring what I need on a day to day basis and store the rest of my belongings to be shipped later. (Coming from cny). I thought I'd find a short term rental to stay at for a week/month or two while i search for apartment and employment.

My apartment wants are a pet friendly, private landlord, non complex, 1-2 bedroom, with some yard in a blue collar area. My budget, 400-600$ utilities included would be awesome. Is this realistic?
* Currently I live on the bad side of my city town and it's perfectly fine and safe. Don't go looking for trouble and 9/10 I've found you won't have any problems.

Employment wise I'm open to most anything in retail/service. I'd love to get a job as a convenience store. Before you laugh, let me explain why.
1. Years and years of experience
2. I love customer interaction
3. Literally everyone comes into a gas station and it's a great way to get to know people and connect with the community.
But to get started I'll work fast food, housekeeping, even washing dishes.

Ok so the bad, I've been out of the work force 2012-2017. My last job (mar18-oct18) I just left due to coworker drug problems and not being a part of it. I made mistake of talking to my manager about it and was dismissed. I am concerned about employment prospects with such a gap in my work history and dont think i can count on my most current job to be a good reference. With this in mind where would I stand as a new out of stater looking for employment?

Also I do have a set of visible tatoos. God/Truth on wrists. Here in ny this is no big deal (never even noticed) but i know tattoos are a different story in south vs north. Will this cause any problems or hinder employment opportunities? *yes God is important to me. Another reason I'm looking south (besides the scenery/weather) is like to be around ppl who Believe and embrace God. The area looks like baptists are the majority. I've been to many churches of many denominations and the Baptist church I went to was one of my favorites. Id love to find a church when I settle in as long as I don't step on any toes by church hopping to find the one for me.

Overall I believe east Tennessee and knox/Maryville specifically would make a great place to make my forever home but I just want to double check with you all before I make the leap and drive 13 hours. Id like to be relocated by Jan 19

Apologies for the novel, i just want to make sure im giving enough info to get helpful response. and yea, I have terrible grammar but I promise I'm not as dumb as it makes me look😁

Old 11-17-2018, 08:35 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
Your rental budget might be a little low. Its also a little more difficult to find pet friendly rentals. We used to rent to people with pets, but that changed after a lot of expenses for carpet and painting. We are pet owners, but rentals are a business.

You might try temp service companies. My son in law manages one, and they have some great paying positions that require little more than showing up and working (not specialized skills required). Passing a drug test is more important than a inconsistent work history. I know they have a ton of positions in the Clinton area.

Tattoos are not that big of a deal for most people. And religion is not as big of a deal as most people (from other areas) may think it is.

Good luck with your quest!

Old 11-17-2018, 10:09 PM

Thank you for sharing tip of temp agency, it looks like Clinton is a 25-45 min drive from the area I'm looking at. That sounds doable for a temporary (>6mo) timeframe to assimilate into area, get to know people, and sounds like a great way to build some work history/reputation. I have no worries of passing any drug tests.

I totally understand about renting with pets, it can be difficult. I've never had a problem finding an apartment with a pet but it has limited my options at times. Doing a search on Craigslist showed there are options available although most looked to be complexes instead of private and in 600-800 range. I wasn't sure exactly what the norm for the area is. I heard that driving around looking for lawn for rent signs is the best way to find the sort of places I'm looking for. Is this true?

For example in my city 600-800 is the average but I've always found something in the 475-550 range. I think cost of living will be about the same, I think... I currently have a nice little lifestyle on 1200 mo. Cny is nowhere near as expensive as NYC, it's night and day really. Would I be able to expect the same? I live a pretty simple life, no debt, no car payments, love shopping but I contain it very well, and my only bills are rent, phone, car insurance (expect that to be cheaper in tn..but is it? Currently about 100 mo)

Hand tattoos are still quite looked down on here so I wasn't sure how visible wrist tattoos would be perceived. I know when I traveled in the south I saw a LOT less tattoos.

Just hoping to get as much info as I can before I take the plunge but I'd love to start the new year building the life I dream of for instead of dreaming another year putting it off.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:34 AM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Strongly advise on visiting first and lining up a job before moving here.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:52 AM

363 posts, read 481,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
This. 100% especially when you are no friends or family to fall back on locally.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:22 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
YES!

Quote:
Ok so the bad, I've been out of the work force 2012-2017.
The gap in your employment is highly problematic. Not being mean -- just realistic -- I wouldn't give you an interview for a career position.

Your best bet is to go down there for a few days and secure a job-job at someplace like Subway Restaurant where they tend to hire almost anyone (and give them a chance -- they won't care about the tats). Work there and then try to pick up additional seasonal work and start climbing the ladder. It's going to be really tough for awhile and you might need to move to Knoxville and rent a ROOM in a student household, and who is to say you aren't taking a one credit class in underwater basket weaving at the U? That sort of set-up stinks in terms of privacy, but will help your bottom line (rent would be well under $600/month) until you get established, plus jobs in college towns, especially in food service are a bit easier to come by.

I wish I could be more encouraging, but if you were a relative, I'd tell you to get some counselling at your local job services and build up your experience before you try to move out of state. It sounds like you have some additional problems that could undermine building a career at this point.

PS: rehome the pet. You're giving yourself too many roadblocks for re-establishing yourself. I know pets are family, but maybe a relative can take care of it for a year while you get back on your feet.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:59 AM

196 posts, read 259,004 times
Trailer rentals may well be in your budget and pet friendly.
Give Clinton a chance when you get out here, it really is a great area. Super convenient to Knoxville and Oak Ridge, Norris Lake, and very scenic. There's been talk of Clinton getting a river walk and shops/restaurants too. Also, it's cheaper up there.

Tattoos, honestly I don't think you'll be given a hard time especially since they are religious tattoos.

Because of the type of work you're looking for i wouldn't be too concerned about the gap in employment.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:03 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,694,200 times
Visit first as it may be a nice place to vacation but not to live in.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:18 AM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Morningstarsally,

I received your DM. I believe the answers to it, and why I said what I said, are found here in the thread and in previous threads on this forum. Not everyone is happy with their decision to relocate here so make sure you do so with eyes wide open.

Best.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:48 AM

Default Please don't hesitate to give it to me straight

I understand where your coming from and thank you for the honesty, I appreciate it.

Not sure if it makes a difference or not but prior to 2012 I had steady employment in retail/customer service. I took a year off to travel and then became a stay at home "housewife" until 2018 (in hindsight this proved to be a big mistake) I mention the gap because I know many employers will question it. I do have 10+ years experience in customer service, just not in most recent years. I want to give the most accurate information I can so I can get the most accurate information in return.

I myself am not a drug user (want to clarify that) I spoke to my manager about what was happening at work and unfortunately I think I upset a situation that was (unofficially) encouraged.

I'm not sure if I'm a career type person. I'm very happy working in the retail/customer service sector. Has the area shifted to more professional/white collar? Would i be able to fit in if I'm not?

My employment gap is my biggest concern. Here retail/food service jobs are fairly easy to get into but I don't know what it's like in Knoxville area as an out of stater with a gap. Here i can live a pretty comfortable albeit simple life on 1200 a month. Would that be impossible in knox/Maryville?

Looking at indeed it looks like jobs are available in the area. I checked out Craigslist to get an idea of the rental situation and saw some options for pet friendly housing in 600-700 ranges. Those looked to be complexes, my experience has been private tends to run a little lower. Very much looking to see where I might fit in or if I could fit in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville