Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2008, 09:43 PM

4 posts, read 4,028 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone!
Our family may be moving to Knoxville to take a job at UT. Right now we have a pretty good situation in New Orleans, because my husband can walk to work and our kids can walk to school. Their elementary school here in NOLA is kind of groovy: it is an arts and academic program with a very diverse student body and a really fun and dedicated parent group. Can we find a similar situation in Knoxville? (The arts part of the school program isn't mandatory for us. A science magnet school or a language immersion program could be of interest, too!) We would love to live in a walkable, friendly neighborhood with nice parks or green space. We can afford something in the $400 or $500K range, if necessary. We would really appreciate any advice people have to offer! Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 03:32 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
Not sure about schools in the area, but the kind of neighborhood you want is going to be found somewhere in East Knoxville (city, not east Knox County) or Bearden.

City of Knoxville - Neighborhood Associations

Here's a fairly complete list of neighborhoods to get you started. Some of the ones on the east side are Fourth & Gill, 100 Block, Fountain City, Fort Sanders, Fairmont, Park City.

With the kind of money you're looking to spend you can easily buy a nice home in a historic or funky neighborhood and have enough left over to invest and make it look very nice.

Word of warning - parts of east Knox really are sketchy. I'm sure others who live in Knoxville now (unlike me, who just has vague memories lol) will help you out some here.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:05 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,296,788 times
It's the walking to UT that may be a problem. Sequoyah Hills is a nice walkable area that is kid friendly. 4th & Gill is walkable, if you don't go too far in the wrong direction. Fountain City also fits the bill, except it is not all that close to UT (NOT walkable).

Old 04-07-2008, 06:10 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
Hm, seems like I skipped right over that part in the original post. Yeah... Knoxville isn't really a walkable city at all... like Barking Spider said, there are a few neighborhoods, SH, downtown lofts, maybe the South riverfront (especially once the pedestrian bridge is completed)...

Old 04-07-2008, 07:30 PM

269 posts, read 1,010,474 times
Sequoyah Hills would be my recommendation too! Great parks in the neighborhood, everyone takes walks so you can meet your neighbors. Lots of kids,and the elementary school is in the neighborhood. There is a nice market down the street (The Fresh Market). UT is a long walk,but I used to bike it everyday just for fun! so it's not very far.The people are really friendly. I miss living there! We moved and became Gypsies! well it feels that way sometimes. NYC,Greenwich,Annapolis,Palm Beach,and now Greenville sc,but soon Charleston and then we are done!Oh there is a Great French Restaurant near there also that you will want to check out The Orangery,it is still one of my favorites. Also Longs drug store is down the street(Kingston Pike) which still has an old fashion lunch counter and soda shop!!!
Best of luck in your move. Message me if you have any questions!

Old 04-07-2008, 08:40 PM

4 posts, read 4,028 times
Thanks so much for all the suggestions! Sequoyah Hills does sound good for us. I do want to be able to let my kids run and bike around in the neighborhood. My husband might enjoy biking to work. I certainly would. We are heading up to Knoxville this weekend to explore the city and look at houses. I hope the dogwoods are blooming. We're going to have to miss the French Quarter Festival here, and I'm a little sad about that. If you can't make it to New Orleans for JazzFest, then try to come here for French Quarter Fest. Great music and excellent food!
Thanks again for all the suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville