Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 01:36 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,078,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eatpraylovemom View Post
I like Mountains, Sunshine, Outdoor Recreation, Community and mostly aesthetically pleasing areas. I would never move to somewhere like Seattle, Ohio or Midwest due to the lack of sunshine. Does this sound like Knoxville? Maryville? Johnson City?
My wife and I have long term ideas about moving. We've been in the Midwest our entire lives. We live in Indy, where I've lived forever. Growing up and into my mid-30s, the lack of sun was never an issue for me. I never really noticed. However, as I traveled to other areas of the country over the last say seven years or so, I've come to enjoy sunshine, warmer weather, and hanging out at the beach.

We've only been able to visit the Great Smoky Mountains/Blue Ridge Mountains area for a week at a time and have only went during certain seasons. We took a Nov. trip to Gatlinburg, driving through Knoxville to check it out. This was the latest we've ever visited the area in a calendar year. While eating out, our waiter was making small talk and it was an overcast day. He commented that until spring, the area was pretty much gray/overcast. This was the first time I've heard someone mention that about Tennessee, or anywhere in the south really. I just looked it up and Knoxville gets only 173 more hours of sunshine than Indianapolis. That's only about 12 additional days of sunshine. Not a deal breaker for us, but just something to note.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 08:04 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
I have not seen sun days listed as hours. Doing a quick check with the same source, KNoxville has well over 200 sun days per year and Indianapolis has about 187.

Old 02-16-2019, 06:39 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
I have a friend that lives in San Luis Obispo and I love it there. My daughter lives in Southern Cali and that's a great place, too. I travel all over the country now and I've found friendly people wherever I go. When I retire, though, it will come down to where I can afford. I wish it were Santa Cruz, Cali, but that will probably never happen. Then again, I have friends in that state that make it work for them. I don't have to raise kids anymore, though. That's a huge consideration. Knoxville was a good place to raise my daughter.

Old 02-16-2019, 06:56 PM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
I have not seen sun days listed as hours. Doing a quick check with the same source, KNoxville has well over 200 sun days per year and Indianapolis has about 187.
Most places listed monthly sunshine hours. Agreed that Knoxville is a lot sunnier than Indy.

Old 02-16-2019, 07:17 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,831,396 times
The California coast can be foggy quite a bit, so I would think it could actually be a wash as to which place has more yearly sunshine. Even on a foggy day in San Luis Opispo if the sun comes out at 4Pm it is listed as a sunny day according to statistics. On the other hand, if it rains in Knoxville and then the sun comes out at 3PM, the day may be listed as a rainy day without sunshine. Weather reporting statistics have always boggled my mind. Also, the central California coast gets chilly for half the year and the water is scenic to look at but put on your wetsuit so you don't freeze to death. I remember every trip I make to San Francisco or Santa Cruz it would usually be overcast for a day or two and a lot of fog.

Colorado has a lot of sunshine, but I utterly hate the weather for the most part as it can be 60F and sunny, then snow 1 foot in a day and then it will be sunny but 15F the next week. The cold, windy and sunny dry weather makes my skin crack and bleed.

One thing I remember when traveling to the California coast was how foggy it could be so much of the year. Inland California is a different story, but it gets fiercely hot, dusty and smoggy. I remember going to Redding in the Summer and going over 110F.

Old 02-17-2019, 08:30 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
Growing up in So Cal the coast is not as foggy. However, I wore a wetsuit almost every time I went surfing, summer and winter. I could stay out longer that way.
Yep, the central valley is very hot, as well as the area on the east side of the Sierras going east. Its a desert after all.

I don't find Knoxville grey and gloomy at all. While we get about as much rain as Seattle per year, its
lack of sun days make it gloomy there. I travel to Seattle about twice a year and have spent a lot of time there.
I really like the four seasons in Knoxville, and the moderate weather.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:27 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
All that being said...this is a very rainy year here in east TN. Much more so than the last few winters. I guess most of the country's getting hammered this year with rain/snow and cold temps, and we aren't exempt.

Old 02-18-2019, 11:16 AM

363 posts, read 482,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
All that being said...this is a very rainy year here in east TN. Much more so than the last few winters. I guess most of the country's getting hammered this year with rain/snow and cold temps, and we aren't exempt.
Yeah, it's pretty bad out out in the Inland Empire where I am from and their weather is almost identical to what we are experiencing. Back there, we lived not that far from a dry creek bed that we used to walk all the time. It is now a raging river. First time I have ever seen that. It's also below temps there too. They are look at at mid 30's to mid 50's right now. The lower temps are pretty standard issue (maybe not that low though) around this time... the excessive rain, not so much.

In SoCal, most of the fog you would see would be on the coast during May - June. Called a marine layer. Usually burned off around 2 pm. You can get fog here in Knoxville if you live along the lake and river lines.
Pacific Ocean water is freaking cold though since it pushes down from the Arctic vs the Equator here in the south.

Old 02-18-2019, 02:46 PM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Toughkitty, that's really surprising! My MIL and FIL lived out there in Palm Desert and winter was usually so pleasant and warm compared to Nor Cal where we lived then. This is one crazy mixed up weather year.

Old 02-18-2019, 04:06 PM

363 posts, read 482,358 times
Palm Desert is further inland than Temecula but it definitely is a 10 degree difference this year compared to last year. I think normally PD is mid 70-80's? I think they are pushing mid 60's right now. LOL... it doesn't sound like much but when you're used to wearing shorts... lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville