Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 05:04 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times

Advertisements

Are you religious? Many of the big churches have groups for young adults. Since you like outdoorsy stuff, why not contact the outdoors stores and see if they sponsor group activities.

South knoxville is anything across the river.

I'll have to ask about the horses. There are stables in the smokies that offer rides. For a fee of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 11:04 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,582,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Are you religious? Many of the big churches have groups for young adults. Since you like outdoorsy stuff, why not contact the outdoors stores and see if they sponsor group activities.

South knoxville is anything across the river.

I'll have to ask about the horses. There are stables in the smokies that offer rides. For a fee of course.
I actually did go to a Church there when I visited, I mean you have to being in the bible belt right? And there were a lot of retired folks, but it was a great atmosphere, will definetly be going to Church. I donno if you know much about Colorado or not but it's beautiful out here yet people don't give God much credit for the Rockies, it tends to be more atheist/agnostic. So tell me something though, since I'm moving there and there seems to be a big trend of people moving to Knoxville ... how bad is it? Where do most people move from? What difference do you see Knoxville in 10 years?

Old 04-17-2008, 01:13 PM

68 posts, read 103,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
Howdy! I have visited the Knoxville area and like it very much and am planning to move there next year ... I just want to weigh my opinion against some of the Natives there. Thanks for your advice in advance.

I don't know a single soul out there in Knoxville, I have some friends out in Asheville and Greenville not too far a drive away but is it hard meeting people in Knoxville in general? Not really into meeting college kids anymore but mature people in their mid-late 20s.

I will be done with a Masters in Public Policy and was considering going to UTK for a PhD in American History but when I thought about it, it would be a good way to meet people but another 4 years in school = a lot in debt! I still might consider it but probably not the first year there. I heard that it was easy to get a job there, since companies are used to giving college kids jobs. I worked as a Park Ranger, Coast Guard, Teacher and Customer Service before. I would prefer to Teach junior college level or go into Government. Is there particular qualifications I would need? What to look out for and how is the local government there?

Also as for living stuation, I love the great outdoors and would prefer to be closer to the Smokeys eventually but in the first year I guess I should live near downtown/UTK, what would be a good neighborhood that is still biking/walking distance away? And what neighborhoods should I avoid? If any of you want to visit the Rockies or are moving to CO, don't hesistate to contact me for some suggestions as well.

Like others, I would encourage you to rent. Numerous posts, have given you some good ideas concerning location. As an alternative, you may want to look in the area around Bertrand and Washington, which is north of Magnolia. It's considered the near east side of town. Many people don't care for that locale, but I can tell you that investors are doing an excellent job renovating older homes and renting them to students. Since, the market is rather "soft" right now, you may find a rent to buy situation - if that is of any interest to you. Busing or biking to UT are easy - on a "good day" you may try to walk?

I'm not an advocate of the south side for many of the reasons already mentioned on this forum. Much of the housing stock is older and requires substantial repair. Additionally, the Henley Avenue bridge is going to close down, as I understand it but could be wrong, during certain periods of the year-long interstate upgrade/repair program that is going to occur on downtown I-40. That will make it harder to get to the university. Transit issues may be simpler from the near east end.

Wishing you every success in the transition.

Old 04-18-2008, 05:27 AM

I don't see houses in S Knox being any worse conditon than Parkridge. I picture Ranger Duke as a tree hugger out in leafy lake forest or Colonial Village where the homes are mostly in good shape. Parkridge is best for someone who wants an urban victorian vibe without the $ of 4th & gill.

As for the Henly do-over - that won't be done until long after smartfix 40 is finished and we finally have a good JWP connection to I-40, which should relieve a lot of the pressure. Traffic on the Gay st. bridge is sparse at present.

RB - the biggest changes I've seen in 10 years is Downtown has gotten cleaned up and is a lot more occupied with all the condos. Also Turkey creek has sprouted up like a mushroom and there is a lot of congestion in the vicinity.

Old 04-18-2008, 05:40 AM

Wait, what am I saying... South Knox is a horrible, congested place and the people are mean and the termites are ravenous. Stay away, stay away....

Well every one except RB who seems pretty cool and has a good attitude.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:29 PM

68 posts, read 103,966 times
Ranger Duke, certainly, there are numerous housing options in Knoxville. Unequivocally, you can find something in So. Knox., as well as the areas around Washington and Bertrand in the near east end. However, you did mention you wanted something that would allow you to "...bike or walk" to UT. East side accommodations may better meet that criterion. And, it has easy access to all of the amenities of downtown.

Depending on how relevant this is to you, it has numerous trees that can be appreciated! If you enjoy in-town recreation there is a brand new YMCA, with adjoing baseball fields that are easily accessed. Most of the homes are not the traditional Victorian style of roughly 1895 to 1915, that you may envision as part of Colorado Springs, Denver (if any are left there) or San Francisco. Rather, they tend to be single-level, older-wood framed homes built anywhere from the 1920ties to I'd guess the early 1950ties. Many of them are typified by rather high-angular roofs, with high-interior ceilings and lots of wood. Granted, that is not a precise description, but I hope it gives you some indication of what's available. You mentioned, something to the effect about "...people moving into Knoxville," I can't answer that, but as far as the near east end (for lack of a better descriptor) you're going to find UT professors/administrators, graduate students (e.g. Masters/Ph.D.'s), and local entrepreneurs moving into that area. Yes, many of them are my friends and acquaintances. They are quite gregarious, easy to get to know and stimulating people. Perhaps, given your academic endeavors you fmay find them to be "fun and engaging" neighbors.

The Baptist Hospital complex, except for the tower at the east end is going to be razed and rebuilt sometime between 2008 and 2013 - current projections. It is during that same period that the Henly bridge will be closed - don't know for how long. The Gay Street bridge is an alternative; however, it is only a small 2-lane (as I recall) structure, its not designed to handle large volumes of traffic. Effectually, there is going to be, and now is with new condo developments along the river, concerning-transit issues. These may mitigate your desires for "biking or walking" to UT.

If you want to get a bird's-eye view of some of K-town, go on Google maps, click satellite and you can see the areas which may hold some interest for you.

As an ending note, do you have any desire to try ballroom dancing? There are at least three ballroom clubs in K-town and it is a great way to meet new and exciting people. Yes, they do provide instruction, and you'll meet folks who are scientist from Oak Ridge, doctors, hotelers, horse-persons, fishermen, religious folks, salesmen, students, teachers, retirees and others from the community. Oh yes, and lovely ladies. Ok, I understand if it is not your thing.

Again, best of luck in the transition.

Last edited by Doc. T.; 04-18-2008 at 03:00 PM..

Old 04-18-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc. T. View Post
Ranger Duke, certainly, there are numerous housing options in Knoxville. Unequivocally, you can find something in So. Knox., as well as the areas around Washington and Bertrand in the near east end. However, you did mention you wanted something that would allow you to "...bike or walk" to UT. East side accommodations may better meet that criterion. And, it has easy access to all of the amenities of downtown.

Depending on how relevant this is to you, it has numerous trees that can be appreciated! If you enjoy in-town recreation there is a brand new YMCA, with adjoing baseball fields that are easily accessed. Most of the homes are not the traditional Victorian style of roughly 1895 to 1915, that you may envision as part of Colorado Springs, Denver (if any are left there) or San Francisco. Rather, they tend to be single-level, older-wood framed homes built anywhere from the 1920ties to I'd guess the early 1950ties. Many of them are typified by rather high-angular roofs, with high-interior ceilings and lots of wood. Granted, that is not a precise description, but I hope it gives you some indication of what's available. You mentioned, something to the effect about "...people moving into Knoxville," I can't answer that, but as far as the near east end (for lack of a better descriptor) you're going to find UT professors/administrators, graduate students (e.g. Masters/Ph.D.'s), and local entrepreneurs moving into that area. Yes, many of them are my friends and acquaintances. They are quite gregarious, easy to get to know and stimulating people. Perhaps, given your academic endeavors you fmay find them to be "fun and engaging" neighbors.

The Baptist Hospital complex, except for the tower at the east end is going to be razed and rebuilt sometime between 2008 and 2013 - current projections. It is during that same period that the Henly bridge will be closed - don't know for how long. The Gay Street bridge is an alternative; however, it is only a small 2-lane (as I recall) structure, its not designed to handle large volumes of traffic. Effectually, there is going to be, and now is with new condo developments along the river, concerning-transit issues. These may mitigate your desires for "biking or walking" to UT.

If you want to get a bird's-eye view of some of K-town, go on Google maps, click satellite and you can see the areas which may hold some interest for you.

As an ending note, do you have any desire to try ballroom dancing? There are at least three ballroom clubs in K-town and it is a great way to meet new and exciting people. Yes, they do provide instruction, and you'll meet folks who are scientist from Oak Ridge, doctors, hotelers, horse-persons, fishermen, religious folks, salesmen, students, teachers, retirees and others from the community. Oh yes, and lovely ladies. Ok, I understand if it is not your thing.

Again, best of luck in the transition.
Sounds a lil complicated actually, I'm certainly going to rent when I get there and take my time looking for a house, if it's going to be a solid investment it sure will take some time looking around. But ballroom dancing is a great suggestion, we actually do some line-dancing and swing here in Colorado. Ballroom sounds a lil more refined, I'll have to get used to that.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:35 PM

Default Way to dig up an old thread :D

So just wanted to say thank you to all the helpful individuals on this forum, JMT, SmokeyMTNgirl, gemkeeper, creeksitter, hiknapster, weisgarber amongst others I failed to mention. In about 4 short months I will finish my employment contract, finish my Masters and be relocating to Knoxville. Be renting in Old North Knox and looking for a career, afterwards saving up 2-3 years and eventually work on starting my own business. Perhaps some bits of info that may be helpful and about myself for those following the same path that I have found helpful from my research.

1) There are social ills in any society, in short there is no utopia, if one moves to get away from a set of social ills they will certain find just a different set awaiting them in a new setting. Move because you love a place and you will do just fine. How do you know if you love a place, well you'll just have to visit.

2) It seems there are jobs in E. TN however it does take a while to find a career as with anywhere new but almost always harder in a small city compared to a megapolis thus save up at least enough for 6 months to take on that challenge. I myself have saved up for that and taken up a backup plan that worst comes to worst I may have to return home. "Hope for the best prepare for the worst".

3) In our society we are ever mobile. Yet it does not change the fact, we are always more connected to our immediate local community than that of the national or international forum. One can call it karma, what goes around comes around, or whatever they want. But by giving back to the community, one becomes part of the community in every sense. In the end it becomes the more sustainable way of thinking, where one gathers a sense of pride and commitment to that community, new or old. There is a lot we can't do, but that desire - to do, goes a long way. Simply by giving a little bit, you are gaining a lot more. God bless.

Last edited by RangerDuke08; 08-18-2008 at 04:11 PM..

Old 08-18-2008, 02:42 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
So just wanted to say thank you to all the helpful individuals on this forum, JMT, SmokeyMTNgirl, gemkeeper, creeksitter, weisgarber amongst others I failed to mention. In about 4 short months I will finish my employment contract, finish my Masters and be relocating to Knoxville. Be renting in Old North Knox and looking for a career, afterwards saving up 2-3 years and eventually work on starting my own business. Perhaps some bits of info that may be helpful and about myself for those following the same path that I have found helpful from my research.

1) There are social ills in any society, in short there is no utopia, if one moves to get away from a set of social ills they will certain find just a different set awaiting them in a new setting. Move because you love a place and you will do just fine. How do you know if you love a place, well you'll just have to visit.

2) It seems there are jobs in E. TN however it does take a while to find a career as with anywhere new but almost always harder in a small city compared to a megapolis thus save up at least enough for 6 months to take on that challenge. I myself have saved up for that and taken up a backup plan that worst comes to worst I may have to return home. "Hope for the best prepare for the worst".

3) In our society we are ever mobile. Yet it does not change the fact, we are always more connected to our immediate local community than that of the national or international forum. One can call it karma, what goes around comes around, or whatever they want. But by giving back to the community, one becomes part of the community in every sense. In the end it becomes the more sustainable way of thinking, where one gathers a sense of pride and commitment to that community, new or old. There is a lot we can't do, but that desire - to do, goes a long way. Simply by giving a little bit, you are gaining a lot more. God bless.
Welcome! Does this mean you will be coming down around Christmas? Sounds like you'll live close to JMT and me.

Regarding point #3: If you have that philosophy, you should really like it here. For the most part, people really help each other.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:25 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,133,948 times
I, too, want to extend my welcome to you, RangerDuke, although I think you will be in E. TN before I manage it myself. My heart is always there.

Your observations and comments will mean much to others who are relocating to think about just what they are looking for in a new home area.

You are right on the money with having a good idea of the culture, economy, people and communities of any new area before making the move. This really emphasizes the importance of visiting the town or city that you think you want to call home. Be sure before the Uhaul pulls out of your current driveway.

Best of everything to you in E. TN. I am sure that you will be a fine asset to your community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville