Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 12:30 PM

160 posts, read 191,177 times

Advertisements

I want to get out of Florida. Tennessee is my destination of choice. I'm a conservative Christian guy, born in Eastern Kentucky. I would like to be among conservative southerners, but Eastern Kentucky is out because, honestly, the culture I come from is just too backward. I would like an area with less racism, welfare dependence, and immaturity. I have spent some time in Tennessee, and I know it's not as messed-up as Eastern Kentucky and West Virginia.

I am in northern Florida now. I moved from South Florida because I couldn't stand the rudeness, selfishness, and general lack of class any more. I was also tired of living in a place where most people practice at least one form of voodoo. I love it where I am now, but it's too hot and flat.

My ideal property is 300+ acres at least 1500 feet up. I would like maybe 10-15 acres of cleared land, but no more, because it's a pain to maintain. I want mature woods and, if possible, a creek. I want hills, but I don't want a place so vertical you can't walk in the woods. I don't mind driving 30 minutes to shop, but an hour is too much.

I have been looking at realty websites. Sevier County and Blount County look pretty good. I am wondering if anyone from Tennessee has any recommendations. Are there other areas I should consider? I have read that some counties are best avoided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 09:30 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
The Cumberland Plateau is around 2,000' and it should be easy to find acreage there.

Since you want mountainous, I'll suggest asking in the tri-cities forum. Johnson City itself sits at about 1500', the mountains nearby will be higher.

Most of the land in Blount Sevier above 1500' is in the national park. The private land is already developed for vacation/retirement homes or priced accordingly.

Grainger county and points east will have private land up the side of Clinch mountain, but the building sites are usually at a lower elevation.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:10 AM

160 posts, read 191,177 times
Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't know Grainger County was hilly.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:40 AM

14,951 posts, read 9,790,824 times
I live in both (Blount and So. Fl)... so I can say with a high level of certainty East Tennessee is not for you, maybe points a bit west of Knoxville. There are pockets of what you seek but maybe a bit more towards middle TN. Look for cultural hot spots like music venues, organic farms etc. Those folks tend to be a bit less of what you find "deplorable".

Old 08-09-2019, 11:34 AM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times
East TN, aside from some more liberal/affluent pockets, is very culturally similar to eastern KY. Places like Grainger and Claiborne counties even more.

Old 08-09-2019, 01:34 PM

186 posts, read 282,954 times
I don't think you can easily find a tract of land that large for sale in the non federal land areas (i.e. outside the national park) of Blount and Sevier counties. Even if you come across one, it will NOT be cheap. You might want to check out parts of Claiborne, Hancock, Hawkins counties if you don't mind the remoteness.

Last edited by JMT; 08-10-2019 at 11:15 AM..

Old 08-09-2019, 06:02 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
I think Cumberland Plateau or around Johnson City would fit your needs. You also may find the land you want up near the Kentucky border as well. East TN will likely not get the elevation you want, as well as acerage.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:32 PM

363 posts, read 481,837 times
Unfortunately, racism rears it's ugly head everywhere but honestly having people around who don't tolerate it, can make it a lot better. I do hope you find what you are looking for here since we could use more good people like you. There is a lot of really pretty property here but I don't know if you will find that large of space.

Have you tried discussing your needs with a realtor? I would start there first. Good luck!

Old 08-17-2019, 03:51 PM

4 posts, read 4,493 times
Default Yay Tennesse

hey Litl Horse,
I feel you on TN, For now I am stuck in Ghetto Waynesboro, VA but have been doing LOADS of research looking for what you are. Lots of land, few people. From the research thus far, TN is the best place. NO state taxes cost of living good for retirees and last night I found a website 55 plus that has houses for sale but not alot of land. I am looking for a small farm to have my vege garden, chickens and goats. You may need to contact a realtor bcause thus far I haven't found what I am looking for but I figure by the time I sell my house and save up money to move, I may find what I want. If nothing else I want to live outside of city limits which means around the Knoxville are or mid state. Good luck on your search.

Old 08-20-2019, 12:38 PM

510 posts, read 1,386,833 times
In the eastern United States 300 acres and up on the market is a tall order and is especially so in a long settled areas such as eastern Tennessee. One consideration that would offer privacy and woodland expanses for overland hikes in the woods would be to purchase a smaller (much more available and affordable) tract of land bordering on one of the national forests. In this area you should be looking (from north to south) at Johnson, Carter, and Unicoi counties. The Cherokee National Forest in these counties mostly centers on the higher mountain ridges and border to lower lying private properties in the valleys.

This national forest also borders on Sullivan County but most of that border adjoins the TVA Holston Lake so available private properties are limited. Limited choices may exist along the mountainous southern borders of Washington and Greene counties and elevation of private land are generally lower than you seek.

In the northern part of Johnson County with which I am most familiar the lowest valley elevations are at about 2,400 ft and up. These are also where you will most likely find some cleared acreage of the amount you seek. You can find current offering in Johnson at realtor-dot-com by searching on zip codes like 37680 (Laurel Bloomery), 37683 (most of the central populated area including Mountain City), 37691 (Trade- south end and highest valley elevations), and 37688 (Shady Valley- beautiful, remote, high elevation, and lots of bears). Laurel Bloomery is about 3 miles from Virginia with Damascus 6 miles distant and Abingdon (at I-81) 15 miles distant.

The parcels of land including the Cherokee National Forest can be seen on the mapping available for these counties at the Tennessee property assessment tool: https://assessment.cot.tn.gov/RE_Assessment/
You need a owner name or a road name to easily bring up the interactive map and in Johnson the main highway at Virginia border is usually listed "HWY 91 N".

Happy hunting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville