Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2008, 07:00 AM

28 posts, read 90,753 times

Advertisements

This is in the news....What are your thoughts?
I,for one, am worried. I've cut and paste from an article -just to give an overview.

"The rewriting of air-quality rules would ease the way for the construction of 33 coal-fired power plants within 186 miles of 10 national parks, including Great Smokey Mountains, left, according to the National Parks Conservation Association." - "The Bush administration is on the verge of implementing new air quality rules that will make it easier to build power plants near national parks and wilderness areas, according to rank-and-file agency scientists and park managers who oppose the plan.

The new regulations, which are likely to be finalized this summer, rewrite a provision of the Clean Air Act that applies to "Class 1 areas," federal lands that currently have the highest level of protection under the law..."

"Group: Rule would pave way for coal plants
On Thursday, the National Parks Conservation Association, an advocacy group, issued a report estimating that the rule would ease the way for the construction of 33 new coal-fired power plants within 186 miles of 10 national parks. In each of the next 50 years, the report concludes, the new plants would emit a total of 122 million tons of carbon dioxide, 79,000 tons of sulfur dioxide, 52,000 tons of nitrogen oxides, and 4,000 pounds of toxic mercury into the air over and around the Great Smoky Mountains, Zion and eight other national parks. "

Last edited by maraplus; 05-17-2008 at 07:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 07:15 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,353,160 times
There is a coal-fired plant not too far from me. It is definitely less than 186 miles from the GSMNP.

TVA: Bull Run Fossil Plant

Here's a map of all TVA plants.

TVA: Dams and Power Plants

Old 05-17-2008, 08:44 AM

28 posts, read 90,753 times
I know there are many power plants already in East Tn....I guess my point is that the last thing that is needed are 'new air quality rules" that will make it even easier for more plants to be built.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:51 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,353,160 times
I should have expanded my post.

I understand the point you are making. But if that is a concern of yours then know that there is already bad air quality in the Knoxville area.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:35 AM

8,725 posts, read 7,429,051 times
People need power, all this population growth does not come without consequence.

No one wants a power plant in their backyard, problem is that there is hardly any place that is not someone's backyard. So in the end new power plants will be pushed closer to national parks and eventually be slicing into parks zones just as development and the timber industry has been doing.

The problem will be even more profound as population growth explodes over the next few decades and more problems will arise that will make new power plants nil in comparison.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:44 AM

13,360 posts, read 40,023,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
People need power, all this population growth does not come without consequence.

No one wants a power plant in their backyard, problem is that there is hardly any place that is not someone's backyard. So in the end new power plants will be pushed closer to national parks and eventually be slicing into parks zones just as development and the timber industry has been doing.

The problem will be even more profound as population growth explodes over the next few decades and more problems will arise that will make new power plants nil in comparison.
I've always found it interesting that many of those in our country who complain that the price of fuel is extremely high also don't want to do much to help us generate cheap electricity. While it would be nice if all of our electricity came from solar power, the reality is that industry needs electricity, a lot of it, and CHEAP electricity. And for now, the cheapest is coal.

If we want to be competitive with China (which also uses coal for cheap electricity) we need to make it EASIER and cheaper for industry to set up shop here, not harder and more expensive.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:09 AM

8,725 posts, read 7,429,051 times
Despite all its problems, oil, coal and gas are still the cheapest and most easily obtained forms of energy.

Trying to conserve sometimes cost just as much or even more than just using the energy as is. Many examples can be found throughout the country of utilities raising rates because of decreased consumption of things like electricity and water. Things like that remove any motivation for people to conserve anything.

I went to look into trading my explorer in on something more fuel efficient as I am a bit of an ecology junkie. I had the explorer for a job I use to have that I needed to transport around the south east sensitive electronics. Anyway, cost factors still made it less profitable for me to trade my explorer in than to just keep it. I figured fuel would have to be at the $5 a gallon range for it to benefit me to trade my explorer in on something.

Reasons are a few but the biggest cost set back is the sales tax on the new car. Also when looking at a camry I was interested in, my insurance would have jumped a bit also from the $400 a year I pay now to almost $600 for the camry.

That is all fine and all if the camry or any other thing got great fuel mileage, but as is my explorer gets 21mpg on the highway and 17mpg in the city, the camry was only rated for 26mpg on the highway, 5 mpg is not much to get excited about.

I would love a hybrid but the costs are too much right now, the few thousand dollars more a hybrid cost over a standard model can buy a lot of fuel.

That is just cars, nevermind the expense with solar panels and wind mills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville