Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 08:27 PM

2,124 posts, read 6,820,345 times

Advertisements

Is anyone planning on covering up plants/flowers? I am not sure if the night temp will reach 32 or not. I'd like to know which plants you're most concerned about....and if all flowers should be covered up. I'm sure a lot of you learned lessons after the April freeze last year.... thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 08:33 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,486,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
Is anyone planning on covering up plants/flowers? I am not sure if the night temp will reach 32 or not. I'd like to know which plants you're most concerned about....and if all flowers should be covered up. I'm sure a lot of you learned lessons after the April freeze last year.... thanks!
We're covering the ones we want to live. We're just taking the ferns and some of the pots into the garage. I think it is going to be right above freezing but I am not taking any chances. I can almost taste the better boy's and beefmasters already and losing them would make me cry.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:25 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,293,104 times
I already have my basil in the ground, so i will probably lose it. I'm going to build a mini greenhouse and hope for the best.

I was going to put my pond plants back in this weekend, but I'm glad I held off.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:03 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,391,468 times
Is anybody covering their roses?

I read on a garden forum that covering them with sheets could cause more harm than leaving them uncovered. It would be so much work to dig them up, but they're already starting to bud.

My water lilies are already up, too.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:28 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,486,336 times
GBH, what we are doing is putting a couple of wooden stakes in the ground and draping the sheets over top of those and the plants are underneath and untouched. Especially since it is a work morning this makes for a quick removal of the sheet and we can get the wooden stakes later. We have a couple of raised beds and we place 4 stakes there and drape a king sized sheet over that. We've had the stakes for several years and just keep them in the corner of the garage with a trash bag with old sheets and t-shirts, etc.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:34 AM

592 posts, read 2,134,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
Is anybody covering their roses?

I read on a garden forum that covering them with sheets could cause more harm than leaving them uncovered. It would be so much work to dig them up, but they're already starting to bud.

My water lilies are already up, too.

Coming from KS, this kinda crap happens all the time. I think your roses should be fine. You don't dig them up every fall do you?

They may not bloom as much now, but by the summer, they'll be fine.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:18 AM

Thanks, SMG! I'll run to HD and buy some stakes and try that on my new plants.

mjb, I'm mainly worried about my new bareroot roses. I just planted them, and they don't have a good start yet. A freeze could do them in. My neighbors who have roses covered theirs last night.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
Thanks, SMG! I'll run to HD and buy some stakes and try that on my new plants.

mjb, I'm mainly worried about my new bareroot roses. I just planted them, and they don't have a good start yet. A freeze could do them in. My neighbors who have roses covered theirs last night.

Ah, totally different scenario. I'd definitely do everything you can to protect them. Didn't realize they were newly planted.

Just wondering, where did you get them? Are there any good places around to get good roses without paying 25-30 bucks per plant? We used to have 30+ rose bushes and loved them...and wouldn't mind getting into growing them again.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:35 AM

I ordered a few from catalogs, picked up a few from Mayo's and tried some from Home Depot. Home Depot had Knock Out roses for $16.99 last weekend; they're $29.99 at Lowe's and $24.99 at Mayo's. Costco has Jackson Perkins for $9.99, but we don't have Costco here. I brought some from CA, so we'll see how they do.

I planted all kinds of roses in CA, but I'm sticking to Knock Outs and rugosas here, because of black spot. This is my first year trying to grow roses in the South, so we'll see how it goes. I'm not exactly a green thumb, so I have to have plants that can thrive on benign neglect.

SMG, I have to spread the love around before I can rep you for your good advice. But I'll get you soon!

Old 04-13-2008, 11:40 AM

9.99 is an amazing price for J&P's! Wow. Too bad we don't have Costco!

Thanks for the tips...appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville