Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 06:49 PM

80 posts, read 62,808 times

Advertisements

We would like to rent a cabin or house with a mountain view during a couple summer months. We like the touristy area around Gatlinburg but have been unable to find anything but nightly or weekly cabin rentals at very steep prices. I have two basic questions, 1. Can anyone suggest ways to find monthly rentals? 2. Any suggestions for other nearby areas that would be interesting to visit for a couple of months?

A point of reference is we live is a very popular area of Florida where there are many snowbird seasonal rental houses to choose from. Normal rentals are minimum of monthly and most prefer a three month rental of January thru March. I was hoping to find a similar arrangement for summer in Tennessee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 11:18 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by impalatom View Post
A point of reference is we live is a very popular area of Florida where there are many snowbird seasonal rental houses to choose from. Normal rentals are minimum of monthly and most prefer a three month rental of January thru March. I was hoping to find a similar arrangement for summer in Tennessee.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but summer is not an off peak season here. https://www.cabinsusagatlinburg.com/...gatlinburg.php

Old 05-28-2020, 07:24 AM

80 posts, read 62,808 times
Don't think I gave the impression that summer is off peak season in Tennessee. I only suggested that peak season in Florida always has monthly rentals while peak season in Tennessee seems to be daily or weekly rentals only. Thus my question for suggestions where monthly rentals in Tennessee might be advertised.

Thankyou for you link link for cabin rentals but a seach shows nothing available for 30 day rentals let alone two or three month rentals.

Last edited by impalatom; 05-28-2020 at 07:37 AM..

Old 05-28-2020, 12:04 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
You might want to contact property owners directly to see what they have to offer.

This isn't a common thing in east TN. We don't get a lot of people who stay here just for the summer. It's not a summer community in the sense of something like Martha's Vineyard, northern MI, or even parts of WNC.

Old 05-29-2020, 09:53 AM

53 posts, read 72,154 times
Have you tried Wears Valley and Townsend areas?

Last edited by JMT; 05-29-2020 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: Linking to realtor web sites is not allowed.

Old 05-29-2020, 01:29 PM

14,955 posts, read 9,790,824 times
If you call any cabin rental companies, you will find during the season, long term rentals is a no-no. However in Maryville you might find a chance. The smokies are packed right now. Lots of people, lots of campers, lots of RV's.

Old 05-31-2020, 05:20 PM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Is there not student housing near UT that may sublet after the school year is over? Other than that I don't see anything like Airbnb being cost effective for an entire summer.

Old 05-31-2020, 05:45 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Is there not student housing near UT that may sublet after the school year is over? Other than that I don't see anything like Airbnb being cost effective for an entire summer.
That brings up a good question. Is OP more concerned with having a 'mountain cabin' or is it the proximity to the attractions of Gatlinburg that is important?
I've done a couple of daytrips to there with my son when he lived in Knoxville, frankly I didn't find it worthwhile time wise, with all the traffic it was nearly a four hour round trip.
If OP is just looking for a scenic mountain cabin near outdoor activities and some entertainment and dining options that would certainly open up some areas, including in NC and VA

Old 06-03-2020, 02:41 PM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by impalatom View Post
We would like to rent a cabin or house with a mountain view during a couple summer months. We like the touristy area around Gatlinburg but have been unable to find anything but nightly or weekly cabin rentals at very steep prices. I have two basic questions, 1. Can anyone suggest ways to find monthly rentals? 2. Any suggestions for other nearby areas that would be interesting to visit for a couple of months?

Summer is the peak of the peak in G'burg and Pigeon Forge. Why would anyone rent their place out monthly when they can get $300-$600 per night? It's a problem for the local service workers too. They need somewhere to live, but anything remotely like a cabin, especially with a view, is a nightly or weekly rental. You might try in some of the condo resorts, but a cabin with a view is highly unlikely. Someone who owns a rental cabin in Pigeon Forge would have to charge you at least $6000 a month, because they get more than that in the summer as a nightly rental. May to August is when they make 70% of their annual revenue. Doesn't make much sense to change a business model to one that would reduce their revenue.

Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are designed as family vacation hotspots, and most family vacations last a week or so, and happen only for the summer, and brief periods around fall foliage, Christmas and spring break. We have to make our money in those windows. It's a completely different concept than snowbirds leaving their cold climate for 3 months straight. You might try somewhere near Boone or Asheville NC.

Last edited by JMT; 06-04-2020 at 07:36 AM..

Old 06-03-2020, 05:13 PM

5,957 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Summer is the peak of the peak in G'burg and Pigeon Forge. Why would anyone rent their place out monthly when they can get $300-$600 per night? It's a problem for the local service workers too. They need somewhere to live, but anything remotely like a cabin, especially with a view, is a nightly or weekly rental. You might try in some of the condo resorts, but a cabin with a view is highly unlikely. Someone who owns a rental cabin in Pigeon Forge would have to charge you at least $6000 a month, because they get more than that in the summer as a nightly rental. May to August is when they make 70% of their annual revenue. Doesn't make much sense to change a business model to one that would reduce their revenue.

Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are designed as family vacation hotspots, and most family vacations last a week or so, and happen only for the summer, and brief periods around fall foliage, Christmas and spring break. We have to make our money in those windows. It's a completely different concept than snowbirds leaving their cold climate for 3 months straight. You might try somewhere near Boone or Asheville NC.

Last edited by JMT; 06-04-2020 at 07:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville