Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2008, 03:11 PM

4 posts, read 16,127 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody! What a wonderful forum! I am very glad I found it!

I would like to know some semi-specific information about the Knoxville area.

My wife and I are interested in moving to the area (moving from Central Florida for all the reasons you've heard) within the next few years and are starting to do our homework a little early (we're very excited!). We have read some wonderful things about this area of the country and think its what we are looking for.

We will be travelling there soon to take a look around and get a little familiar with the area so we can sooner or later decide where to live. If anybody has any advice they can give us on where we should look please reply! Here is a little about us:

1. Jobs - I am a firefighter, my wife works in Child Protective Services. We will both need to find employment, preferrably in our current fields making the same money (or more!). We are in our late 30's, our salaries are in the low $30's.
2. Household - We have 3 children, ages 19, 14, and 3. The 14 y/o and 3 y/o will be moving with us. We are attempting to have a 4th before our move (not pregnant yet, wish us luck!). We have 2 dogs no cats.
3. Current House - 2500 sq ft two story on about 1/8 acre (typical neighborhood I guess, good size house) - We would like between 1.5-3 acres and, I know this sounds crazy but, we would also like neighbors! Don't know if the two match, but its what we would like. We would like the same size house. We are looking in the $225K-325K range. Is this possible? We are also open to building our own and working at making it green. Any green contractors in the area?
4. We love the outdoors! The more outdoor activity, the better! We love the mountains! Don't necessarily want to live in them, but real close!

Please realize that we know this may be wishful thinking, but we're hopeful!

I know some of these have been answered in other threads, but they still weren't specific to us.

Thank you so much for any advice! We are very excited to come visit!

Will and Stephanie (this is Will)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 03:29 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,299,067 times
My suggestion would be to contact the local fire dept's in Knoxville and surrounding counties and see if: they have openings, or have some in the budget, and you will know what the salary range is. My guess it will probably be lower than FL. Same for your wife, contact like agencies and see what's up.

As far as getting a 2500SF house on a couple acres for less than $325K, you probably can, there just might be concessions you have to make, such as age, location. Not too many neighborhoods I know of that have 3 acre parcels, but maybe someone else here knows of some.

I noticed in the real state section in today's paper, there is a contractor that is building a green house. Don't know anything about him. I haven't really seen any that are saying they are green builders. There's a bunch that can't seem to understand the basic building code, I doubt they would understand the concept of green building. But there's hope.

Finding a job might also dictate where you live. You may find a great place to live in Blount County, but get a job with Campbell County Fire Dept. That would be a horrible commute (IMO).

Good luck with your quest.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:10 PM

4 posts, read 16,127 times
Thanks for the input Barking Spider. I am worried about the 2 acre + neighbors thing. We'll see, thats our wish, but I know it might not work out so nicely.

If there are any firefighters on this forum, please let me know how hard it is to get a job. I will have over 6 years on with the largest department in central florida, and am USAR Tech'd.

Anybody have county or city suggestions?

Thanks!!!

Old 05-08-2008, 12:21 PM

5 posts, read 25,961 times
SikWilly,

I too moved from Central Fl to TN. We have 3 children and have recently bought acreage with neighbors. Some people consider it too country... but we live in the Strawberry Plains area. It's only 10 - 15 minutes from downtown and about 20 - 25 minutes to west knoxville.... depending on traffic. The area is beautiful and the school of course is in Knox county. You won't be too impressed with the schools.... not to say that Central FL is any better. There is still acreage here so I would get it while 'the getting is good'. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
View detailed profiles of: