Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 08:05 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,095,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
We told you!

We are a chatty bunch, aren't we?

Glad you liked our little city. I'm glad to call you neighbor! Welcome!
Chatty? Who's chatty? I think that Indychic is going to fit right in with the Chit-Chat Club.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:44 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,373,811 times
Hey Indychic, congrats on your moving to Knoxville. Sad to say, you have some misinformation. Im white, and have lived west, for some 30 plus years, and just last weekend, had freinds over for the Sunday lunch thing after Church, and one couple is African-American, and one of the best friends I have. We even did a mission trip together to Venezuela, and sorry for your information. I would welcome you as a neighbor, as skin color, is just that, you have to like or dislike , based on personalities , and character, and etc. So do not be afraid to check out west Knoxville. Good luck.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:23 PM

77 posts, read 295,933 times
I lived in Knoxville 6 years and never encountered racism. We really liked it there and never had a problem that we felt was because of race. We have lived south, north, and west. Living west we liked the most. It was always the best place for things to do for us. I've lived in the midwest most my life and have seen more racism than what people complain to be in the south. We have been the only african americans at times. I can honestly say that I never had the feeling of being out of place. For the most part people were very friendly. I hope to keep this same experience when we relocate back this fall. I hope you like it.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:00 AM

9 posts, read 27,295 times
I have to comment here becuase as I read your letter You sound like such a wonderfully rounded know what ya want kinda a person. Sweetie there is racism everywhere. But if you dont look for it you wont find it much. I have been all over the world as a military girl. I am half cuban and half irish and being a woman in the military believe you me i know what you are looking at. No I am not african american but just the same predjidice is prejidice.. I would never let anything like that keep you from your dreams. You are gonna be the one to make this knoxville a better place. I can feel it in your spirti. Dont accept anything less then what you want . My husband works in knoxville and so i have asked him and he told me no more then any place else. hope this helps. have a really terrific day.
dianna

Old 06-07-2008, 09:44 AM

188 posts, read 564,333 times
People will always dislike others for foolish reasons.

Someone almost refused to serve me because I was wearing a Gator t-shirt (I overheard the discussion)!

This doesn't mean that Gator fans shouldn't move here.

If you happen to come across such rudeness, keep in mind that it may not be your color!... people can dislike you for some other reason, too.

As a white guy, you could say I'm an "insider" in the world of white men. The only "racially concerned" discussions I have ever had with other white men have been:
1. The vulgarity of hip hop videos. These videos reinforce every possible stereotype ever suggested by the worst kinds of racists. It is a shame.
2. Worrying about being accused of racism whee it doesn't exists. Firing somebody, accidently calling a black person "articulate" and being accused of "subtle" racism. Stuff like that.

I have not heard anyone enjoy the idea of keeping another group "down" or enjoying the failures of other subgroups of any kind.

Now, I have seen that sort of stuff on TV and in Movies... but not in my own experience.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:12 AM

2 posts, read 4,017 times
Default title

If you can type and speak eloquently, then you probably are not the ghetto type. Just proceed with caution.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:21 AM

29 posts, read 76,377 times
I am sorry that you have heard some negative remarks regarding knoxville. I've heard some as well. I was an Army brat and grew up overseas which made many of us not the least bit racist. I've had my share of friends of every type of nationality, including african-american, bi-racial, white, etc. Two of my closest friends are african-american. It amazes me how many people can still be this way. In any case, I say... YOU GO GIRL !!! You have a wonderful opportunity and you take it and run with it !! Your family must be very proud. I look forward to hearing about your success... keep in touch !!

Old 08-04-2008, 01:25 PM

24 posts, read 79,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indychic View Post
...I'm a 25 year old, African-American female moving to Knoxville (from Indianapolis) to attend UTK.

I've been TOLD that because I'm black...I may feel most comfortable over there?!?!

However, as an African American female, I'd like to know what I'm REALLY facing.

I think my concerns are also stemming from a weird experience I had on my visit: A woman working at an airport gift shop was sort of rude to me & the kicker was that she didn't grab the money I was holding out to give her. She just looked at me. So, I placed the money on the counter and then she picked it up!
Congratulations! Having just finished up a BA this spring at the age of (..!!) I can tell you that I'm impressed that you've decided to continue with school while you can still remember what happened the day before.

I am an African American female as well, but from the mid-west. I married a Caucasian man and lost a friend or two because of it. I've also lived in communities made up of those who were predominantly white, predominantly black, predominantly Republican, predominantly Democrat...you get the picture. Racism is anywhere small minded people live - which is practically anywhere. I saw it in WI, MI, NY, and FL to name a few places.

As for racism in Knoxville...my husband and I will be moving there shortly. The only incident was a stare or two from a gentleman in a restaurant, but hey, we were from out of town. Everyone else was wonderful!!!! And yes, I had a few people tell me not to move south like your friends have told you, so go figure!

One final note, the lady you mentioned who you think is rude may not have been. It's possible she didn't accept anything directly from your hand because of cultural differences. I've run into that, too. Just another viewpoint.

Good Luck!

Old 08-04-2008, 02:56 PM
H10

89 posts, read 306,844 times
I'm not African-American, but I do have some relatives who are... You must have noticed that Knoxville can appear almost segregated at times. I know many exceptions, but more often than not, you see groups of white people and then groups of black people, with mixed groups being less common.

Like I said, I know many exceptions, but I have to say that I was pretty surprised at how it appears races flock together in Knoxville. Spending most of my teenage years in South FL, that was not the case (comparatively speaking). Social groups in my area were not determined by race. While Haitian & Cuban immigrants didn't integrate especially well due to cultural barriers, all English speaking Americans socialized with people they enjoyed spending time with...

Old 08-04-2008, 04:50 PM

38 posts, read 180,779 times
Thanks for the recent comments. This is actually an old post - so I was surprised that someone brought it back to life...

I'm now living in Knoxville. Ironic that I checked this board because I just "officially/permanently" made my final move here just yesterday! I had already secured my home...but, still was living in Indianapolis really.

I'm more than happy with Knoxville & how we're treated here. My hubby & I have been having a good time figuring out where to eat & what to do...using tips from other posts. The people have been very sweet & sincere...to my knowledge. lol. Only 1 guy at a local Lowe's made a racial comment, and I honestly think he was attempting to be funny. Nice guy though...

Overall, I'm extremely glad that my concerns were laid to rest. Thanks to all who commented on this post early on...and thanks again for the follow-up comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville