Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2008, 11:44 AM

603 posts, read 2,339,762 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know anything about Gibbs High School? How far is Corryton from Knoxville? Is it a nice place to live? Is Gibbs High a good place to work? I'm scoping out places to live and work, so if anyone has any helpful information, I'd appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 12:19 PM

592 posts, read 2,134,896 times
We live in the Gibbs/Ritta school "district"...don't have kids, so don't know much. I can say I've not heard any grumblings about them being "bad" schools by any means.

Corryton, as far as I can tell, is about 10 miles or so from Knoxville "proper". I sometimes come through there on my way home, and it looks nice, but it is a little "out of the way". I would put it at about 15-20 minutes from East Town Mall based on my travels on Washington Pike.

There are lots of nice neighborhoods over on this side of town in the Gibbs/Ritta/Corryton area. Let me know if you have specific questions and I'll try to help.

Obviously, the further out you go, the more you get for your money it seems.

I'm not sure what other elementary schools are associated with Gibbs high, but know that Ritta must feed it, along with a brand new elem. school right across Tazewell Pike from the HS. There's a couple nice areas right there near Harbison Crossroads, and then up and down Washington and Tazewell Pikes, as well as Emory.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:31 AM

1 posts, read 4,474 times
I live in Corryton, and it is great. I have twin 16 year olds at the High school. The area is zoned for Holston Middle School. It is several miles away and considered a inter city school. It has it's problems but for the most part my kids where fine there. The new elementary school is amazing and the community is very happy with the outcome. I would agree with the poster above, it is about 10 - 15 minutes out from Knoxville Center Mall and equally about 10 minutes from the Halls Community (also a great community). Gibbs High School has been fun, they are very involved with the kids. The sports are good, my kids are involved with both soccer and basketball. We are getting a new staff of officals this year, Principal, Vice Principal, and Authlictic Dicrector, so we will see. Hope this was informative. Have a great day.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:08 PM

6,196 posts, read 5,444,124 times
I too am looking at a property in the area via net and trying to figure out the drive time to UT...help?

Old 05-08-2008, 03:22 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the painter View Post
I too am looking at a property in the area via net and trying to figure out the drive time to UT...help?
That's going to be hard to answer, because it will really depend on the address. Some places are closer to major roads than others.

Here is what I do: Go to mapquest. Type in the address and UT's address. I've found drive times, generally speaking, to be pretty close.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:24 PM

592 posts, read 2,134,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
That's going to be hard to answer, because it will really depend on the address. Some places are closer to major roads than others.

Here is what I do: Go to mapquest. Type in the address and UT's address. I've found drive times, generally speaking, to be pretty close.
I concur. From my house, which is off Murphy Road, it takes about 15-20 minutes depending on traffic...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville