U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-11-2021, 03:46 PM
 
Location: Knoxville, TN
2,644 posts, read 993,639 times
Reputation: 6425

Advertisements

It is funny. When you come to the Knoxville forum, everybody and their brother says "move to Farragut". Then you come here, and find that Farragut is not only really expensive so you can't afford it in the first place, but inventory is always low because people love it here and stay. You kind of have to wait for somebody to die. OK, that is an exaggaration, but point is, there is not huge turnover in Farragut.

So when people say "move to Farragut", they are really giving unrealistic advice for 95% of us. Most of us can't afford it, and those that can are too numerous for the number of homes for sale, even before the current Covid low inventories happened. Places like Maryville, Lenoir City, Oak Ridge, and Cookeville become a lot more realistic places to find a nice affordable home in a good neighborhood. Maybe not AS GOOD a neighborhood, but your odds go up. Farragut doesn't tend to have much.

Right now there are 28 listings in Farragut, 11 under $500,000.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-11-2021, 06:02 PM
 
20 posts, read 10,541 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post

Since you have a $300k budget and want a more rural experience, there are a lot of homes for under $300,000 in the areas between these cities. You might be able to find exactly what you want as long as you stay away from the developed areas of the cities, and you would still have access to all of the outdoor activities you want.

You can even look for a house up near Powell or maybe south of South Knoxville.

I want to be "in town" sort as far as a developed suburb, so I am stuck with more expensive options than you are. If you just want land and trees and to be left alone, you may be able to get that by looking for a home between towns rather than in them. I don't mean out in the sticks but beyond the edges of town.
.

Thank you for your response. I didn't mean "that" rural....I would prefer a developed suburb.


I would still like to be able to say hello to my next door neighbor.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2021, 06:03 PM
 
20 posts, read 10,541 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
It is funny. When you come to the Knoxville forum, everybody and their brother says "move to Farragut". Then you come here, and find that Farragut is not only really expensive so you can't afford it in the first place, but inventory is always low because people love it here and stay. You kind of have to wait for somebody to die. OK, that is an exaggaration, but point is, there is not huge turnover in Farragut.

So when people say "move to Farragut", they are really giving unrealistic advice for 95% of us. Most of us can't afford it, and those that can are too numerous for the number of homes for sale, even before the current Covid low inventories happened. Places like Maryville, Lenoir City, Oak Ridge, and Cookeville become a lot more realistic places to find a nice affordable home in a good neighborhood. Maybe not AS GOOD a neighborhood, but your odds go up. Farragut doesn't tend to have much.

Right now there are 28 listings in Farragut, 11 under $500,000.

When you did your initial research, did Maryville or any of the other cities come up as "high crime" ?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2021, 06:06 PM
 
20 posts, read 10,541 times
Reputation: 10
To Igor and that other person who replied to me about how I saw so few houses....


I just realized my Zillow settings were on "condos/apartments" lol


Removed that filter and, lo-and-behold, many more houses come up for sale.


<<edit>> Not sure if we're allowed to do this, but I found this home just now: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...81056466_zpid/


That's an acceptable home for a single guy like me who's looking to one day start a family. 100x better than horrible apartment living.




<<Edit 2>>


Wow, I'm finding a lot of sub 300k homes out there that look absolutely amazing. Does anyone know if late September early October is not a good time to fly out to Knoxville to check the area out? You think I should wait until late Feb/early March?



It's funny...where I come from only the multi-million dollar homes have trees and grass like many of the sub 300k homes in TN do. I can't image what passes for "affluent" in TN....must be some sort of mega-mansion.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2021, 10:32 PM
 
Location: Knoxville, TN
2,644 posts, read 993,639 times
Reputation: 6425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needanewhome123 View Post
Thank you for your response. I didn't mean "that" rural....I would prefer a developed suburb.


I would still like to be able to say hello to my next door neighbor.

Gotcha. Yeah, $300,000 is not going to get you that huge yard, I don't think. I see $600k-$700k homes in Farragut and around West Knox that are in gorgeous subdivisions with deep sprawling front yards well off the street, and some that are up to 150-feet away from the next home over. Roomy. Very roomy. But in the $300k range, no not so much.

I think a lot of the homes they are building now are going to be on small lots. As prices increase with strong growth in Knoxville, they are going to smaller lots to keep overall price down. It is a shame, because those spread out homes are so nice.

I am limited to around $400k, so I will be pretty much in the same boat you are. I will have to compromise and settle for "good enough" rather than for what I really want. That's life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needanewhome123 View Post
When you did your initial research, did Maryville or any of the other cities come up as "high crime" ?
I did not research crime in Blount County, where Marysville is (pronounced Mare-vul like the female horse, not Mar-ees-vil like the girl's name).

If I ever get off my butt and visit more areas of the Knoxville Metro, I will better understand good and bad areas of Maryville, Lenoir City, Oak Ridge, Cookville, etc. I would just say DON'T live in Alcoa. Very high crime. (watch, somebody from Alcoa will correct me). But every time I have veer into Alcoa, my crime app leaps up.

If you haven't seen it, my blog has a post with a picture showing the crime rates for apartments all around the Knoxville area. I developed it when I was looking for a safe and quiet apartment to live. If you haven't seen it, it will give you an idea of where around Knoxville is really safe and where the high crime is, but it is just for Knoxville, not Maryville or other Knox metro areas.

I have tried to link the blog post below. Go to bottom and click on the pick to enlarge it. Clicking 2 or 3 times should make it large enough to be legible as it sooms in. At least it does for me.


https://www.city-data.com/blogs/blog...ville-apt.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needanewhome123 View Post
To Igor and that other person who replied to me about how I saw so few houses....


I just realized my Zillow settings were on "condos/apartments" lol


Removed that filter and, lo-and-behold, many more houses come up for sale.


<<edit>> Not sure if we're allowed to do this, but I found this home just now: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...81056466_zpid/


That's an acceptable home for a single guy like me who's looking to one day start a family. 100x better than horrible apartment living.




<<Edit 2>>


Wow, I'm finding a lot of sub 300k homes out there that look absolutely amazing. Does anyone know if late September early October is not a good time to fly out to Knoxville to check the area out? You think I should wait until late Feb/early March?



It's funny...where I come from only the multi-million dollar homes have trees and grass like many of the sub 300k homes in TN do. I can't image what passes for "affluent" in TN....must be some sort of mega-mansion.
Knoxville is very lush, green, wooded, and beautiful as is the Knox metro overall and probably much of east Tennessee. I haven't even seen Chattanooga yet, which I hear is really beautiful. So trees and green grass is pretty much a given wherever you buy here in every price range. This isn't Utah. It rains all summer, so everything stays nice and green and lush.

I really like Tennessee. I don't miss too much about California, except that I was 2 hours to the beach and 2 hours to Lake Tahoe. Things like that. Which is significant. Living-wise, I am not missing California.

Last edited by Beretta; 08-12-2021 at 05:16 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2021, 06:38 AM
 
58 posts, read 32,363 times
Reputation: 139
Have you guys looked into the Hardin Valley area? It is really growing. Otherwise, I would recommend Crossville.

PS- That Zillow listing on Coronado Crest Rd. would be A LOT better if they took the Florida Gators blanket off the bed. Gator-Hater!

Last edited by CrosbyStills; 08-12-2021 at 07:01 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2021, 07:43 AM
 
20 posts, read 10,541 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post


Knoxville is very lush, green, wooded, and beautiful as is the Knox metro overall and probably much of east Tennessee. I haven't even seen Chattanooga yet, which I hear is really beautiful. So trees and green grass is pretty much a given wherever you buy here in every price range. This isn't Utah. It rains all summer, so everything stays nice and green and lush.

I really like Tennessee. I don't miss too much about California, except that I was 2 hours to the beach and 2 hours to Lake Tahoe. Things like that. Which is significant. Living-wise, I am not missing California.

Thanks, much appreciated! Think I'm going to come out there and have a look.



Quote:
Originally Posted by CrosbyStills View Post
Have you guys looked into the Hardin Valley area? It is really growing. Otherwise, I would recommend Crossville.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top