Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 05:35 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,582,370 times

Advertisements

Regarding school choice - one thing we haven't discussed is the race of Mystic or her children. (I know that sounds silly but kids can be adopted!). I'm saying this because I think there are transfers for kids of minority race where school choice was allowed. Parents have to provide transport.

This comes to mind because a friend was able to transfer her asian daughter to Beaumont magnet elementary pretty easily. Now Beaumont is definitely an inner city school in a kinda rough area but that's where a lot of crunchy parents send their kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 07:07 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Regarding school choice - one thing we haven't discussed is the race of Mystic or her children. (I know that sounds silly but kids can be adopted!). I'm saying this because I think there are transfers for kids of minority race where school choice was allowed. Parents have to provide transport.

This comes to mind because a friend was able to transfer her asian daughter to Beaumont magnet elementary pretty easily. Now Beaumont is definitely an inner city school in a kinda rough area but that's where a lot of crunchy parents send their kids.
I don't think that is quite right. Beaumont is a magnet school, and as such, you can choose to have him/her go there. Beaumont is a honors program. The child would have to fit that criteria to go there.

Here is a link to that. Plenty of info on our local schools, too.

KCS: About KCS (broken link)

Also, I've been going to greatschools.net to compare schools.

Knox County schools, Knoxville - TN: charter and public schools. Knoxville school district - Knoxville TN school district

Old 05-17-2008, 04:15 PM

811 posts, read 2,009,520 times
we are white--so if that were the case, not a help for us, unfortunately

Old 05-18-2008, 04:46 AM

23 posts, read 60,507 times
Default Halls - Fountain City

i know someone who found a great fixer upper in that area for about 100k, really mostly cosmetic but there are many homes with good potential that you may be able to find for less money.

Last edited by Chuck51; 05-18-2008 at 05:07 AM.. Reason: i changed to comply with post rules

Old 05-18-2008, 03:24 PM

That's what we would ideally like to find-just in the right neighborhood--we were supposed to look at 2 different ones in decent neighborhoods, that were fixer uppers--they were both gone by the time we got down there to look.

the third one, was PERFECT--needed some work but we loved it--unfortunately it is off the market b/c an offer was accepted on it

Old 05-19-2008, 11:29 AM

How about Highland Dr? On the end close to Broadway? It appears to be a flip that is completed now- They are "calling" it Fountain City but it is not near the Fountain City area we were looking at before-

I recognized "inskip and cedar ln" within a short distance to this house but I dont remember what exactly was said about them--off to check on which school we would be zoned for

Last edited by mysticfire0213; 05-19-2008 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: I can't type today!

Old 05-26-2008, 09:21 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,484,116 times
For those of you looking in Fountain City I saw a house on infotube today that is DARLING! Nope, not mine and I am not a realtor. I love the cottage style of this house! Knoxville, Tennessee Homes For Sale By Owner (FSBO) #194579 at InfoTube.net

Old 05-26-2008, 01:33 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
I saw that house during one of our dogwood drives. I think I even have the info tube flier. There are a lot of houses out there that are not even on the MLS.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:23 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,132,290 times
It is a very cute house, SMG, and the inside looks well-loved. Nice home for a couple or small family.

Too bad it only has 2 bedrooms or it might be a possibility for mysticfire. Three boys in one bedroom may a small house bring down!

Old 05-26-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
It is a very cute house, SMG, and the inside looks well-loved. Nice home for a couple or small family.

Too bad it only has 2 bedrooms or it might be a possibility for mysticfire. Three boys in one bedroom may a small house bring down!

You're telling ME! LOL--it is a cute house though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville