U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2021, 08:34 PM

35,590 posts, read 21,909,028 times

Advertisements

Well, we're planning to retire to Eastern TN in a few months (hopefully Chuckey, have an offer in, should hear tomorrow!). Anyway, my wife read something about chiggers, and now she's paranoid about them, especially with our animals. We have 4 dogs and 8 cats, and are buying rural property.

So, how big an issue are they? Are they a real problem, or just the equivalent of mosquitos-an annoyance, but not really something to be concerned about? Does a "tick collar" deal with them too?

While we're at it, how are bugs in general? I grew up in WNY outside of Niagara Falls-mosquitos there were horrible-they would eat you alive if you went out in the evening. I read that they exist in TN, but aren't so bad. True? I've been in Idaho for the last 25 years and my wife grew up here, mosquitos aren't much of a thing with the low humidity. "No-see-ums" make up for that though!

I saw something about this being the year of the 17 year cicada as well. Is that the case? We're coming out the first 2 weeks of May, so maybe we'll experience them.

Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2021, 07:45 AM

30,455 posts, read 23,854,588 times
I've never found chiggers to be a major issue. Maybe to the level of mosquitoes. You'll want to keep tick repellent collars on the dog during warmer months.

I do not think there is a tremendous bug problem here. It's nothing more than typical pest control stuff. There's more here than when I lived in Iowa, but that's really more a function of more vegetation and trees than anything else.

I've not seen anything on the cicadas.

Old 04-22-2021, 08:38 AM

13,650 posts, read 17,273,575 times
https://www.wjhl.com/news/local/tda-...brood-emerges/

Old 04-22-2021, 08:58 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,781,148 times
With dogs & cats maybe ticks can be a more annoying problem than chiggers. Consult your doctors to be sure.

Old 04-22-2021, 10:54 AM

508 posts, read 1,215,849 times
Beware the "chigger weeds"! I always heard this as a child though I don't recall ever getting any. Some of my playmate friends were not so fortunate. It was important to not venture into tall, overgrown flowering weeds to avoid chiggers which were supposedly common and also snakes of any sort which were not so common but scary as hell. I had bad dreams of wandering into a nest of snakes while exploring in the fields and woods nearby. I asked DW what were those white flowering plants that we called "chigger weeds" and she said they were "Queen Anne's Lace" (stay away and be OK). https://www.simplyappalachian.com/ar...queen-chiggers

Old 04-22-2021, 11:31 AM

508 posts, read 1,215,849 times
Black Flies! These critters are the worst annoyance in this area if you have property with a clean flowing stream with high levels of dissolved oxygen (like, a highly desirable trout stream would qualify). Black Flies or sometimes called buffalo gnats. They will swarm humans and if they land and stay on board very long they produce a painful bite. For the past two years they have been unusually abundant at rural property we have in the ET mountains. Working outside can sometimes be difficult due to these annoying critters, especially near the stream. There is forty foot wide trout stream there and thanks to this article I now recognize the pupa of these buffalo gnats clinging to the larger rocks and concrete objects in that stream. Where we live full-time in the Tri-Cities lowlands we are not near any stream and never have a problem with these buffalo gnats. Something to be aware because they won't be out until after about mid-May. https://extension.entm.purdue.edu/pu.../blackfly.html

Old 04-22-2021, 11:39 AM

6,684 posts, read 15,231,583 times
We always avoided patches of queen anne's lace because you were bound to get chiggers. I don't ever recall this being a particular nuisance for our dogs that lived outside, though...

Old 04-22-2021, 03:22 PM

35,590 posts, read 21,909,028 times
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Sounds like a manageable issue at worst. Do the various flea and tick collars work for chiggers? Also, what about heartworm? My brother is in Alabama and has to have his dogs treated for it-don't remember if it's a shot, pill or collar.

Jim37680, we have buffalo gnats in my area (Idaho)-some years they are terrible, especially in the evenings! People around here call them no-see-ums, but I think real no-see-ums are more of a southern/coastal thing. Usually hit bad for a few weeks in late spring and go away. They bothered the Newfie we used to have bad, he'd get swollen up around the eyes. The shepherds we currently have don't seem bothered by them.

Looking forward to hearing back on the offer. We've put in over-asking offers on places outside of Unicoi and Bluff City and lost out. Hoping for the best-this makes me happier anyway, more acreage.

Old 04-22-2021, 03:27 PM

7,710 posts, read 11,099,395 times
What? LOL

Sounds a bit like an over-reaction, if I'm being honest.

Bugs are not really a big issue in East Tennessee. That's one of the big pluses to retiring in an area that is not super tropical, like Florida.

Florida has huge bugs everywhere. Roaches can creep into super nice resorts and hotels, and it quickly sobers you up to realize you are in the humid tropics where large bugs thrive.

Tennessee, eh, I mean, not really. You'll find that mosquitoes in lawns are the biggest bug issue, at least from my experience. Going barefoot in certain grassed in the height of summer will allow tons of small mosquitoes to bite you. But it only seems to happen in certain grasses.

Anyway, the cicada issue is overhyped. Not really a thing to worry about.

Old 04-22-2021, 04:59 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,946,145 times
First... learn that it's called "East Tennessee"

Second... Keep your cupboards stocked with bug repellent. Cutter works for me and doesn't smell sickening. Chiggers will never be a problem... nor will ticks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville