Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2021, 05:59 PM

28 posts, read 43,803 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving to Knoxville next year in the spring.

Brief bio: Late 30s male, single, self-employed (remote work). I'm middle of the road politically but tend to lean conservative. I currently live in Vegas (have so for 2 years due to covid shutdown) and I absolutely hate this area. The hot, dry weather (and ugly brown desert with no trees or water) sucks. I also don't like the majority of people out here. Just not my type. Lots of a-holes out here.

Am wondering if you can describe how people are in Knoxville (generally speaking, of course)? Are they laid back, friendly, and easy going or are they on edge and angry as they are here in Vegas?

Also, how is the cost of living there? I'm looking for a 1-bedroom apartment for a year, then if I like the area and meet a long term girlfriend there....would want to buy a house.

Also, how's the dating scene out there? Plenty of single 30-year old women?

Also, I have this weird fear of moving to the Midwest, renting an apartment, and having a tornado alarm wake me up at 2am. I do not want to be a human pinball machine as I bunker down in my bathtub.

thanks

<<edit>> Forgot to ask: How would you describe the Knoxville area geographically? Is it flat like the midwest plains or are there lots of hills and a nice scenic backdrop of green trees when you step outside your house or drive down the main street?

And, are there racial tensions in Knoxville? I'm white (not that it matters), but I would prefer to avoid living in an area (regardless of race/creed/religions/etc) where everyone is on edge as they are in many other cities in America. I just want nice friendly people and to live in a city where we all can pretend this country isn't falling apart at the seams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2021, 09:59 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,293,104 times
Default answers to questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needanewhome123 View Post
My answers were inserted below.

Brief bio: Late 30s male, single, self-employed (remote work). I'm middle of the road politically but tend to lean conservative. I currently live in Vegas (have so for 2 years due to covid shutdown) and I absolutely hate this area. The hot, dry weather (and ugly brown desert with no trees or water) sucks. I also don't like the majority of people out here. Just not my type. Lots of a-holes out here.

A Holes are everywhere.

Am wondering if you can describe how people are in Knoxville (generally speaking, of course)? Are they laid back, friendly, and easy going or are they on edge and angry as they are here in Vegas?

Thats kind of like asking to describe the people of Las Vegas. Its all over the place. Extremely nice people, and complete AHoles. We have road rage just like any other city except Mayberry.

Also, how is the cost of living there? I'm looking for a 1-bedroom apartment for a year, then if I like the area and meet a long term girlfriend there....would want to buy a house.

Cost of living is pretty low based on National Average. That said, there are lots of people complaining about rent rates and real estate prices.

You could probably get the demographics by Google. Major University here, but age of women there would be much younger than 30 for the most part. My guess is there is an average amount of single women in their 30's for similar sized cities.

Also, I have this weird fear of moving to the Midwest, renting an apartment, and having a tornado alarm wake me up at 2am. I do not want to be a human pinball machine as I bunker down in my bathtub.

Very little risk of tornados here. However, if you are afraid of thunder, you will be in the bath tub a lot.

thanks

<<edit>> Forgot to ask: How would you describe the Knoxville area geographically? Is it flat like the midwest plains or are there lots of hills and a nice scenic backdrop of green trees when you step outside your house or drive down the main street?

Lots of hills and green Do a Google search.

And, are there racial tensions in Knoxville? I'm white (not that it matters), but I would prefer to avoid living in an area (regardless of race/creed/religions/etc) where everyone is on edge as they are in many other cities in America. I just want nice friendly people and to live in a city where we all can pretend this country isn't falling apart at the seams.
Probably not much different that places the same size.

Old 08-11-2021, 04:09 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,781,400 times
Quote:

thanks

Humidity will be a problem. Then Knoxville has fairly level areas right up to mountains,valleys, hills, etc., so you can pick what you like best. Race is generally not an issue unless you make it one. As far as I know property tax is lowest in Sevier County.

Old 08-11-2021, 07:02 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
Dating, lots of college students, sooo...
However my son who is late twenties said he found dating to be a challenge because it is basically college girls, he had a hard time finding girls his own age who weren't already in a serious relationship. YMMV

Old 08-12-2021, 08:21 PM

28 posts, read 43,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
Humidity will be a problem. Then Knoxville has fairly level areas right up to mountains,valleys, hills, etc., so you can pick what you like best. Race is generally not an issue unless you make it one. As far as I know property tax is lowest in Sevier County.

Year-round humidity? Where I was born/raised it's currently 64% humidity and in Knoxville it's 74% humidity. I grew up on the coast and it's gotten more humid over the years for some reason.

Is Knoxville like Georgia-tier humidity that is oppressive?

Old 08-13-2021, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Year-round humidity? Where I was born/raised it's currently 64% humidity and in Knoxville it's 74% humidity. I grew up on the coast and it's gotten more humid over the years for some reason.

Is Knoxville like Georgia-tier humidity that is oppressive?
The humidity is not year round and also does not last 24 hours, as it does on the East Coast in the Southern regions. Just the Summer days mainly and lower in the evenings and mornings. Winter basically a non issue and Spring and Fall minimal. Different than GA, especially around the coast where the humidity is fairly constant. I have family there.

Old 08-13-2021, 09:41 AM

11,428 posts, read 5,973,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
The humidity is not year round and also does not last 24 hours, as it does on the East Coast in the Southern regions. Just the Summer days mainly and lower in the evenings and mornings. Winter basically a non issue and Spring and Fall minimal. Different than GA, especially around the coast where the humidity is fairly constant. I have family there.
City Data information for Knoxville shows a fairly uniform level of humidity year-round, with highest afternoon humidity in winter. I think what you are referring to is heat, not humidity. Knoxville is about as cold as Seattle in winter. We have only 3 months of high humidity with heat, as opposed to say Miami, which has 9 months of high humidity with heat.

My biggest concern with Knoxville was summer heat index. Now that I know that is not a problem for me, my biggest concern is winter cold. I may have to live further south for milder winters, not that Knoxville winters are harsh or anything.

Sounce https://www.city-data.com/city/Knoxville-Tennessee.html

Old 08-13-2021, 10:13 AM

11,428 posts, read 5,973,383 times
Quote:

People are generally cordial, nice, and on the friendly/tolerant side. Drivers are generally courteous. I can't speak to downtown people who may be more stressed. I haven't run into any angry people so far. I lived in San Francisco for 12 years and there were legions of people who lived with a chip on their shoulder, just angry at everybody and everything. I don't see that here. But I have only seen a tiny slice, so YMMV. All that said, they will be thrilled you are not from California.

Nice apartments in good areas are available in the $1,100 to $1,300 range. $1,600 gets you really nice and you can rent homes in the same ballpark. You can find 1 bedrooms down to $900 without moving to a bad neighborhood.

No clue

Knoxville is not tornado free. They aren't frequent but they can be more deadly, tending to hit at night when there is no warning. Memphis to Cookville has more tornado frequency and the Tri-Cities area has less. Knoxville is not high for tornado risk, but it does happen. The Tornado Index for Knoxville is 60. The Tornado Index for Tennessee overall is 175, so far worse. Compare Oklahoma City at 700 Tornado Index. So risk is low in Knoxville.

thanks

Knoxville is hilly. Not mountainous, but hilly. Unlike California, the big hills don't tend to be developed, so not a lot of houses with great views the way CA would do it. But lots of houses still have nice views on modest hills. Everything is green due to year round precipitation. I don't know if the grass yellows in winter or not. It could. Most trees are not evergreen, so the trees will be barren and brown from fall to spring. Allergies are HORRIBLE in Knoxville, if you have them. People move here and develop allergies. We are awash in yellow-green pollen for a month in spring. I have no allergies (so far) but I still found myself coughing and hacking from swalling clouds of fine yellow-green pollen. That would be a great time to wear a mask.

So far so good, but I havent met that many people. I am also 10 miles from downtown. It may be different downtown, I don't know. I have found Knoxvillians to be easy, not the "in your face" types. I can't speak to race relations per se. I don't know. City data shows Knoxville is 75% white, 15% black, 4% Hispanic, and 2% Asian, FWIW. Nobody has mentioned a problem with race to me. Everybody I have met has been fairly nice.

Response in red color above.

Old 08-13-2021, 02:03 PM

66 posts, read 54,554 times
Quote:
I visited Knoxville this spring. People in grocery stores (or random folks on the street I asked how to get somewhere, where to find something etc) were friendly and laid back.

Quote:
No idea about dating scene there.

Quote:
I could be wrong but my feeling is Knoxville (and TN) is live and let live place.

Last edited by Ancientoak; 08-13-2021 at 02:13 PM..

Old 08-13-2021, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
City Data information for Knoxville shows a fairly uniform level of humidity year-round, with highest afternoon humidity in winter. I think what you are referring to is heat, not humidity. Knoxville is about as cold as Seattle in winter. We have only 3 months of high humidity with heat, as opposed to say Miami, which has 9 months of high humidity with heat.

My biggest concern with Knoxville was summer heat index. Now that I know that is not a problem for me, my biggest concern is winter cold. I may have to live further south for milder winters, not that Knoxville winters are harsh or anything.

Sounce https://www.city-data.com/city/Knoxville-Tennessee.html
Actual humidity is based on the dew point. In winter, especially when cold, humidity is a non issue.

Now it does snow there, but generally it lasts a day and the next starts to melt and in a couple of days, except in the shade it is gone. once or twice it may be seen for a week. I have been there in all seasons and Winter was not bad, and I hate cold weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
View detailed profiles of: