U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2021, 03:27 PM

1,623 posts, read 3,001,039 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the area soon and want to buy a family cabin in the mountains we can use to escape the heat during the summer. We’ve been to Gatlinburg several times and we are looking for something a bit quieter and at a higher elevation (so it actually cools off during the summer).

Are there any towns in the mountains that y’all know about and could give me some advice on?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2021, 08:30 PM

6,086 posts, read 10,007,897 times
I see you are posting in the Charlotte and Greenville forums. You got good suggestions for the high country in NW NC. For Greenville it might be Highlands NC but I personally would buy in Brevard and just drive up to the BRP on scorcher days.

When I thought you were going to be living in Knoxville I would have suggested Maggie Valley or Waynesville in NC. Very few houses above 3000' in TN.

Old 08-04-2021, 10:32 AM

14,462 posts, read 21,018,459 times
I have to concur with the above, most of TN communities, even these remote "mountain cabins", are in the valleys between the ridges. If you want mountain living probably the extreme western portion of North Carolina is for you. Also be realistic - even at 4,000 feet altitude you are going to have some hot days from June to August.

Knoxville itself, and I dare say even Gatlinburg, are not mountain towns (Gatlinburg is a measly 1,200 feet in elevation, it's more of a gateway to the mountains). You might want to try posting in the Johnson City subforum if you want TN (as NC has a state income tax and is somewhat more expensive) as it's much closer to the mountains. Again you are talking about valley living but there are some very remote communities in the extreme N.E. part of the state. Places like Roan Mountain (extremely small and remote town) have some housing spots up at about 3,000 feet I think. That's about the best you can get. Also check out Mountain City, likewise in the extreme N.E. corner.

Old 08-04-2021, 10:40 AM

13,649 posts, read 17,269,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I have to concur with the above, most of TN communities, even these remote "mountain cabins", are in the valleys between the ridges. If you want mountain living probably the extreme western portion of North Carolina is for you. Also be realistic - even at 4,000 feet altitude you are going to have some hot days from June to August.

Knoxville itself, and I dare say even Gatlinburg, are not mountain towns (Gatlinburg is a measly 1,200 feet in elevation, it's more of a gateway to the mountains). You might want to try posting in the Johnson City subforum if you want TN (as NC has a state income tax and is somewhat more expensive) as it's much closer to the mountains. Again you are talking about valley living but there are some very remote communities in the extreme N.E. part of the state. Places like Roan Mountain (extremely small and remote town) have some housing spots up at about 3,000 feet I think. That's about the best you can get. Also check out Mountain City, likewise in the extreme N.E. corner.
Here's my excuse to trot out this old, but still useful post again.
//www.city-data.com/forum/1747319-post1.html

Over here in Bristol it's supposed to get up to roughly 80F here today, at the beginning of August. BUT this morning when I woke up it was only 63F, which IMO makes things a LOT more bearable. YMMV.

Old 08-05-2021, 11:55 AM

30,453 posts, read 23,847,424 times
You’d be hard pressed to find much above 2500’ in TN, much less 3000’. Most of the land at that elevation is protected parkland or otherwise unavailable for residential building.

WNC prices at elevation are generally much higher. You may also want to consider parts of western VA along I-81 - many of those locations are above 2000’, and prices are a bargain compared to WNC and even much of upper east TN.

Old 08-08-2021, 02:43 PM

15 posts, read 8,230 times
What about middle TN, in the Cumberland range near Crossville. I don't know the elevation but cooler in the summer there.

Old 08-09-2021, 12:49 PM

15,981 posts, read 29,747,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
We are moving to the area soon and want to buy a family cabin in the mountains we can use to escape the heat during the summer. We’ve been to Gatlinburg several times and we are looking for something a bit quieter and at a higher elevation (so it actually cools off during the summer).

Are there any towns in the mountains that y’all know about and could give me some advice on?

Wears Valley.

Old 08-09-2021, 01:37 PM

14,462 posts, read 21,018,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khere View Post
What about middle TN, in the Cumberland range near Crossville. I don't know the elevation but cooler in the summer there.
Slightly cooler yes, not as high as NE TN. Same principles apply as was already stated - towns are in the valleys not the ridge tops.

Old 08-10-2021, 11:38 AM

1,623 posts, read 3,001,039 times
Thanks all for the input! We’re currently in Texas but it looks like we’ll be moving to Chattanooga in the coming weeks — unfortunately their forum isn’t very active!

Given the location of Chattanooga, we’ll probably end up getting something in Blue Ridge, but I might give Maggie Valley and Bristol a look. Thanks again.

Last edited by JMT; 08-10-2021 at 11:56 AM..

Old 08-11-2021, 08:37 AM

6,086 posts, read 10,007,897 times
Blue Ridge is a very good choice for someone who lives in Chattanooga. Also there are developments over 2500' east of Chatsworth and Fort mountain park but there's no town.

I don't see why you would check out Bristol. Maggie Valley is well suited for forays into Asheville and the high country but it is still a long drive. A diamond in the rough is Tellico Plains. From there you have the Cherehala skyway which will take you up to elevations above 5000'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville