Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 03:04 PM

6,196 posts, read 5,443,053 times

Advertisements

You know I find out more on this than from the realtors. I no longer worry about schools, the kids are in college! But I am concerned about areas since it will soon be just me and the boys (aussies). I don't get emotionally attached to houses, been in construction for 30+ yrs & well a house is a house. The Holston place, I originally questioned and was told it was a rental for the past 4 yrs., this opened up alot more questions. the long and short was I wanted to put a large chunk down since they offered owner finance, I did not low ball it, but the counter came back that after 9 month they add 15k to the balance and rate goes to 11%.........NUTS

Oh by the way Fountain City was my first choice of areas, saw the post with pixs and loved it. I dont like new houses and the whole cookie cutter mentality. I really look for personality and the "old" american dream home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 06:39 PM

188 posts, read 567,040 times
That is the west side of Holston Dr.... so I would guess you would see some of the scrappier elements of society... but nothing to sweat. I'm not certain, but I think you'd have to go a good bit further west to witness the worrisome parts.

In the real Holston Hills (probably a quarter mile further east), almost everyone I see is doing better than I am!..and I'm doing fine.

I never see anyone who would motivate me to worry. I lived in some good neighborhoods in Orlando, and you could NEVER leave your stuff unlocked. Once my neighbor and I walked out to our cars one morning to find that his SUV was sitting on cinderblocks! All of his tires/rims were gone.

I bought this house two years ago, and the owners obviously didn't feel the need to lock their doors. Their garage was wide open at all times...literally open. I never saw that anywhere in Orlando.

I considered Fountain City, but I'd have to say that although it seemed safe, there were worrisome apartment complexes (low end) and houses with broke down cars out front. I can't think of any homes at all like that in my neighborhood. You'd have to go to the outer most fringes (I think).

That said, I wouldn't hesitate to live in Fountain City. I looked at a house there before buying this one, and I often wonder if I made the right choice.

You never know!

Old 05-17-2008, 07:00 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Just got back from house hunting. I was not in Fountain City. I looked in the Pleasant Hills and Amherst Road area as well as some in Powell.

I'll tell you what, looking on the MLS does not tell the whole tale. You might be on a main road and see one sign pointing down a road. Drive on the road. I can almost guarantee that there will be a lot of houses for sale. A LOT.

I thought there was a lot on the market last year. There are five times the amount now. No kidding. Go out and take a look. It is amazing. The more I drove the more I wanted to wait. It's kind of creepy.

Prices are all over the map, too. I don't think people are sure how to price their house.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:15 PM

188 posts, read 567,040 times
Scott's is not open on Sundays.

Old 05-18-2008, 04:33 AM

23 posts, read 60,496 times
Fountain city and Halls are beautiful areas. Corryton is nice as well, a little out of the way but close enough for getting places. Schools are smaller and so is the community which can be a plus or minus depending on your likes and dislikes. I like to approach everything with an open mind and make rational choices to suit family, lifestyle, hobbies, etc.

Last edited by Chuck51; 05-18-2008 at 05:12 AM.. Reason: mispelling, and rookie non-compliance corrections

Old 05-18-2008, 06:58 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
Hiknapster, as I read your post I can tell you really love Fountain city. I'm glad you aren't looking in South Knoxville because Ftn city/ Norwood is much better for your commutes.

I think if I worked downtown I would choose Holston Hills over Ftn city because I hataehatehate all the traffic lights along Broadway. Fortunately HK wouldn't face them every day.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:29 AM

Bfskninnerpunk, in all your travels in Fountain City did you happen to go down Cedar Lane? there is house I would like to add to my list, but in the back ground it does look like a possible apt. complex. Wondered if this is one of the worrisome places you mentioned. I will have very little time to scout out areas and hope to narrow my search to 6 or so. This place also looks to be priced abit on the high end as to sq.ft. I hope to have a cma tommorrow........till then. I know why realtors are cautious but I wish when dealing with someone out of the area they could be alittle more blunt it would save alot of trouble.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:48 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
South of Cedar Lane is starting to get dicey. I mentioned this in another post. It's not bad, but I'm starting to pass it by.

Thanks, creeksitter. Oddly enough, we drove all around the Amherst area and we just didn't "feel" it. It's such a maze out there. Went to the Amherst Grocery, but they were closed. I really wanted that baloney sandwich!

There are so many homes for sale in that area that it is staggering. Never in a million years did I think it would ever get this bad here. Yes, I called it. But I never really envisioned this.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:44 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,390,708 times
There is a big difference between what locals consider Fountain City and what others consider Fountain City. People (including some cunning realtors) are calling many parts of outlying North Knoxville Fountain City, which to use sophisticated financial jargon, is known as putting lipstick on a pig. Many parts of North Knoxville are desirable-- some aren't. Cedar Lane has some cute cottages, but it's a spotty area. Spotty areas can get better or worse quickly.

Knoxville is a city of neighborhoods, and it's misleading-- pointless, even-- to look at them all the same. Prices in some areas are picking up. In some neighborhoods, they never really went down. In others, they are falling... and will likely fall more. Different sections attract different kinds of people and respond differently to changing market conditions. The sections that are the quickest to fall are often the slowest to rise. Neighborhoods that hold their value for others will tend to hold their value for you. A "bargain" really is how you define it.

Old 05-18-2008, 11:05 AM

Oh this is so disappointing! lets try a different approach. I would like recomendations on a nice safe area for a single women with a daughter at UT. I also need a good size yard for my aussie boys to run. It seems like every time a house gets my attention its in a sketchy area. I know all cities have desirable and then less desirable areas so...HELP!!! I need direction Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville