Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 02:05 PM

6 posts, read 11,250 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have a four questions for Realtors to help me with. I am selling a home and presently deciding on which agents to set up interviews with. I'm going to interview three agents and two I have selected so far are from the same reality company, but at different locations in Knoxville. Question: May I interview both and if so would that propose any problems for myself in the future or for their working relationship in regards to my home sale?

I live out of state and the agent I have now has been helpful and willingly taken care of meeting contractors, services or whoever needs to get in the house and then lock back up. She does live in same neighborhood, so not out of way really. Question: Was she just being nice to help or is this expected for an agent to help out with if needed? Because I am not sure if I should compensate her for her trouble and what is acceptable or expected for a realtor to help an out of state client?

The realtor we used was fairly new to real estate but we hired for other reasons. She worked for large company in town and she did lots of marketing on my home which we were very pleased with. Question: Did she pay for that herself or did her company help with her marketing expenses? I don't blame her for not selling home, just the timing and inventory. But I do hate it if she used her money with no results and we are moving on with someone else now.

And last question: In selecting an agent to sell, do I need to use agents who refer to themselves as a Listing Agent? Is there a difference ?

Thanks for taking to time to read this and any help is appreciated, I just want to be fair and hopefully more successful this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 03:10 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
You'll probably want to put this question on this part of city-data.

Real Estate Professionals Forum - Relocation, Moving, Local City Discussions - City-Data Forum

Old 05-19-2008, 03:23 PM

Thank you! I will post it in the Real Estate section. Sorry, new to the site.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:23 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy's Mom View Post
Hi,

I have a four questions for Realtors to help me with. I am selling a home and presently deciding on which agents to set up interviews with. I'm going to interview three agents and two I have selected so far are from the same reality company, but at different locations in Knoxville. Question: May I interview both and if so would that propose any problems for myself in the future or for their working relationship in regards to my home sale?

I live out of state and the agent I have now has been helpful and willingly taken care of meeting contractors, services or whoever needs to get in the house and then lock back up. She does live in same neighborhood, so not out of way really. Question: Was she just being nice to help or is this expected for an agent to help out with if needed? Because I am not sure if I should compensate her for her trouble and what is acceptable or expected for a realtor to help an out of state client?

The realtor we used was fairly new to real estate but we hired for other reasons. She worked for large company in town and she did lots of marketing on my home which we were very pleased with. Question: Did she pay for that herself or did her company help with her marketing expenses? I don't blame her for not selling home, just the timing and inventory. But I do hate it if she used her money with no results and we are moving on with someone else now.

And last question: In selecting an agent to sell, do I need to use agents who refer to themselves as a Listing Agent? Is there a difference ?

Thanks for taking to time to read this and any help is appreciated, I just want to be fair and hopefully more successful this time.
Welcome to the forum!

To answer your questions: 1. I think you can interview as many agents as you want from whatever firms you want and I would not expect any problems. 2. I think the agent is both being nice and is doing what is normal in those type of out of state situations. I would not provide any extra compensation. When the agent took you on as a client they knew what there were getting into and most agents are happy to provide these extra services. Your happiness creates word of mouth referrals! 3. Marketing expenses vary on who is paying from agency to agency. In many cases the agency does a set amount of advertising per listing and anything above and beyond that is the responsibility of the listing agent. 4. In selling your home, you do not have to use an exclusive Listing Agent. It is completely your call. Of course, listing agents usually have a very specific, proven selling plan but other agents can deliver just as well. I would go with your research and intuition on this one.

Where are you planning on moving to in Knoxville and where are you moving from? When do you plan on arriving here? Please post more about you so we can get to know you!

Old 05-19-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy's Mom View Post
Thank you! I will post it in the Real Estate section. Sorry, new to the site.
We don't allow cross posting (posting the same thing in two forums). If you want, I can move this thread there or wait and see if you get more responses from the Knoxville crowd. I am happy to move it if you want; just let me know.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:51 PM

Thank you SmokyMntGal for the welcome and answers. I'm sorry, I posted there, got an answer and with yours, I got the information that I needed. Thank you so much. I'm not sure if I should do something to delete post or if you can handle...sorry. Just let me know if I need to do anything else.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:43 PM

Not a problem; we'll just let it ride. I hope you get lots of great answers! We have some realtors that frequent this board so I hope that they chime in and give you their opinions.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:45 PM

I sorry.

I was just trying to help. <hiknapster kicks her toe in the dirt with her eyes downcast.>

Old 05-19-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I sorry.

I was just trying to help. <hiknapster kicks her toe in the dirt with her eyes downcast.>
nah nah nah, you did help and you do help everyday! (me thinks cross posting is not always a bad thing )

By the way, I am gonna start a rumor.......... speaking of realtors. I saw at least one of our regular posters pics in the paper yesterday!! <winks at Jim Lee>
Congrats on being in the 100% club (psssst - what is the 100% club?)

Old 05-19-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
nah nah nah, you did help and you do help everyday! (me thinks cross posting is not always a bad thing )

By the way, I am gonna start a rumor.......... speaking of realtors. I saw at least one of our regular posters pics in the paper yesterday!! <winks at Jim Lee>
Congrats on being in the 100% club (psssst - what is the 100% club?)
Thanks! <hiknapster perks right up>

Congrats to Jim Lee. Now, let's hope this is a good thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville