Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 07:06 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times

Advertisements

The sign in front of there said, "We are not closed" when I drove by yesterday.

I have no idea what that meant. Maybe there was a rumor or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 10:38 PM

127 posts, read 433,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
The OP was the one whose husband was military Police if I remember correctly. Was it Tn_dreamin'?
You're right he was in the military but not an MP, he was a maintenance mechanic, he built up bases here and in the middleast.
Thanks for all the good thoughts, I appreciate it. Looks like he has to keep looking, this job isn't what he wanted, he is trying to get a gov't job so hopefully if he puts in enough app. it'll pay off soon and we'll be headed out that way.
On a side note, my sis who moved to knoxville in Dec. has an interview with ORNL next week,I'm praying something comes of it for her, she really needs a job!

Last edited by tn_dreamin'; 05-23-2008 at 11:10 PM..

Old 05-24-2008, 06:24 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Just don't go with state government. Last I heard, they are offering buyouts so they don't have to lay people off due to budget cuts.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:33 PM

7 posts, read 18,235 times
Knox co has a maint. job in the paper. PLC,VSD troubleshooting general maint. Starts low 35k but all the state /county jobs pay low here. Be a good place to start off while hes looking.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:18 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticfire0213 View Post
So my hubby spent 2 hours doing all of the assessment tests and paperwork today--the girl actually told him he scored the highest on the electrical part that she had ever seen anyone score. He should be getting a call tomorrow or Monday!

PS--We are already packing!!!
Did he get the job?

Old 06-07-2008, 08:47 AM

125 posts, read 414,106 times
Default Welcome to Knoxville

Anyone that uses the word "y'all" as well as you will fit right in to east Tennessee.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:42 AM

4,725 posts, read 10,131,557 times
Smile Have job, Will travel!

Tn_dreamin', that is wonderful news. Was an offer actually made or is hubby expecting one early in the week? We will all be waiting patiently to hear the ALL CLEAR signal. The moving van may be on it's way, Y"ALL!

Old 06-07-2008, 03:38 PM

811 posts, read 2,009,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Did he get the job?
They called him and said "We really want you working for us, but I forwarded your paperwork to the Manager in Knoxville and there are no available positions at that location right now."

WHAT?!

That is THE position he was applying for and she knew it!
She wanted to know if he wanted to take a position here in Baltimore, but that isnt what we need...so she said to check back with her in a few weeks. Weird...but no, he didnt get it, so we are still looking.

Old 06-07-2008, 05:44 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,131,557 times
Oh, I am so sorry, mysticfire. (For some reason, I thought that Tn_dreamin' was making the post about the probable job. I'm sorry about missing that fact, as well.)

I don't blame you for being disappointed. I cannot imagine what the company had to gain by interviewing your hubby for a job that they knew was not available and then informing him after the fact that they actually wanted him in another city and state!

Please don't get discouraged or let this be a stumbling block for you both. Just keep looking. With his skills, there is hopefully another position that will come along soon.

I think I mentioned before that my husband has had periods of up to a year between his job assignments. In the downtime, he made a full-time job of getting a job. He mailed out literally thousands of resumes and letters to companies that he obtained from the internet and executive search websites, plus had many recruiters who were looking for him as well. His bottom was glued to his computer chair from 8 AM until 6:30 PM every week day and what hours were necessary in the evenings and on weekends.

It can be a grueling process finding a new job and part of the challenge is your perserverence. Never let up for one minute. Someone else will use that minute to secure the job you could have had.

Please give hubby our best wishes and a big hug. I am sure that you both feel like the wind was knocked out of you right now. Keep us up to date on how things are going and we'll try to help keep your spirits and enthusiasm up, in turn.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:24 PM

127 posts, read 433,252 times
Default Not moving!(for now)

Thanks for all the kind words, I apppreciate it. We've postponed our move, my dh has had some things happen at his job this past week, everybody's hours were cut so he's making $300 less/week now so we have to use our moving money to get by in the mean time, plus he doesn't even have a job there yet so obviosuly this is a sign that we should stay put for now anyway. I was very upset at first but accepted it and will make the best of the next year here. I'm actually kind of relieved, I 've been stressed out about this move for months now. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville