Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 03:25 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,655,552 times

Advertisements

WOW! Just checked flights from Ft Myers to Knoxville and they are 800 bucks each for a round trip flight.

Gotta be a better way than that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 03:36 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
WOW! Just checked flights from Ft Myers to Knoxville and they are 800 bucks each for a round trip flight.

Gotta be a better way than that
I wish! But that's one of East Tennessee's dirty little secrets. It's outrageously expensive to fly in/out of the airports around here (Knoxville, Chattanooga and the Tri Cities). You can get cheap fares on Allegiant Air out of St Pete (not Tampa), Ft Lauderdale and Sanford (near Orlando), otherwise you'll spend a fortune to fly here from anywhere else.

It's MUCH cheaper to fly into Nashville because of Southwest Airlines. But that's 180 miles from Knoxville. Yes, it can be frustrating.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:07 PM

391 posts, read 1,359,327 times
Mr Tudo, I just did some research, and I believe you're speaking of the 4BR/BA home on Pinellas Dr? This location is in a desirable part of town, of course, desirable is always a relative term when speaking about likes and dislikes. It is located off of Papermill, which is close to Interstate 40, close and convenient to shopping, dining, and everything else that modern living may ask of you. Along with that as well will come the hustle and bustle of the occasional 5 o'clock traffic. All things considered though, I think this house is easily tucked away enough to not hindered. I would definitely give this house consideration if it fits your price range and criteria.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:17 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Quote:
Realtor either out of town or too busy to respond to my email. Can someone suggest a realtor who can help?
Did the realtor whose name I sent to you respond?

Old 06-02-2008, 04:39 PM

Thanks William. It's a little larger than what we wanted. Not by alot alot ( a few hundred sq ft ) but larger. There's also "city" taxes there? So the total prop taxes are more than 3K a year. The reason we're considering leaving Fla is that very point. I want a house that's roughly 2500-2800 sq ft. If we build one and pay 300-400K for it, there's no "hiding" from these thieves and our prop tax bill would be in the realm of 6-7K a year. Couple that with homeowners insurance and we're looking at a grand a month just for taxes and insurance.

If we were able to find the type of house we want in the 250K range we could then spend whatever we need to spend on new kitchens etc etc etc . But we've gotten disgusted with lookiing. We found one realtor who "gets it" in an area that we could care less about. Looking on the other coast brought us more of the same.

My accountant's kids live in Maryville and he has implored me several times to "check the area out, especially Knoxville". I saw a house on television once in an area that's rolling hills and lots and lots of trees and apparently that;'s west knoxville. So we're looking.

We spotted another listing that both of us really like in Farragut? But the zip code doesn't show up on census.gov. Zip is 37934. Any thoughts on this area keeping in mind we are mostly interested in Suburban, not urban and not rural.

SmokyMtnGal, I didn't get a chance to call him. Heidi sent me a referral before that who I called and we've spoken.

The flights are unreal. We may have to drive 2 1/2 hours to Miami and fly direct. OR we can drive an hour and a half to Tampa, fly south to Miami, sit there for 2 hours and then fly to Knoxville. Unbelievable.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:13 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Thanks William. It's a little larger than what we wanted. Not by alot alot ( a few hundred sq ft ) but larger. There's also "city" taxes there? So the total prop taxes are more than 3K a year. The reason we're considering leaving Fla is that very point. I want a house that's roughly 2500-2800 sq ft. If we build one and pay 300-400K for it, there's no "hiding" from these thieves and our prop tax bill would be in the realm of 6-7K a year. Couple that with homeowners insurance and we're looking at a grand a month just for taxes and insurance.

If we were able to find the type of house we want in the 250K range we could then spend whatever we need to spend on new kitchens etc etc etc . But we've gotten disgusted with lookiing. We found one realtor who "gets it" in an area that we could care less about. Looking on the other coast brought us more of the same.

My accountant's kids live in Maryville and he has implored me several times to "check the area out, especially Knoxville". I saw a house on television once in an area that's rolling hills and lots and lots of trees and apparently that;'s west knoxville. So we're looking.

We spotted another listing that both of us really like in Farragut? But the zip code doesn't show up on census.gov. Zip is 37934. Any thoughts on this area keeping in mind we are mostly interested in Suburban, not urban and not rural.

SmokyMtnGal, I didn't get a chance to call him. Heidi sent me a referral before that who I called and we've spoken.

The flights are unreal. We may have to drive 2 1/2 hours to Miami and fly direct. OR we can drive an hour and a half to Tampa, fly south to Miami, sit there for 2 hours and then fly to Knoxville. Unbelievable.
A $250,000 house in Knoxville would have annual property taxes of less than $2500. That's city and county taxes combined.

Have you considered Holston Hills in East Knoxville? It's a 1950s-era golf course development that is absolutely beautiful. It's VERY quiet out there and just a couple of miles off of I-40.

Here are some listings I found in the Holston Hills neighborhood that you might want to check out:

Listing #607717

Listing #604165

Listing #617028

Old 06-02-2008, 05:31 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
It looks like someone bought the Pinellas house in 2006 for $357,900. The real estate agent bought it last fall, perhaps for cash, and transferred it to someone else's name last November. It looks like it is a lovely setting. Worth checking out.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:36 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Oh, and you are right, Mr. Tudo, it looks like the taxes on the house are about $3,400 a year. They are late paying them, too; at least the county taxes.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Oh, and you are right, Mr. Tudo, it looks like the taxes on the house are about $3,400 a year. They are late paying them, too; at least the county taxes.

Late paying them eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville