Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 02:10 AM

611 posts, read 1,458,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
For years, Farragut was where Northerners went when they moved to town … and still commute to downtown while their kids didn't have to attend city schools.
Thanks for the history lesson. I knew some of this, but not all of it.

Quote:
When the city of Knoxville was making moves to annex the wealthy Farragut/Concord area in the 1970s, the people in the area, terrified that their kids would then be shipped to "inner-city" schools, created their own town so that they couldn't be annexed into Knoxville and be part of the city school system. Well, Knoxville got the last laugh when the two school systems were later consolidated which meant Farragut was now in the same system as--horrors--Fulton, Austin-East, and West. (Of course, that led to the rise in the number of private schools in West Knox, but that's a topic for another discussion.)
Knoxville got the last laugh? Interesting choice of words. I never really considered Farragut to be so subversive...

Quote:
But Farragut's stereotype had already been established, and it stuck, fair or unfair. If you're from somewhere else and are transferred to Knoxville, and you want to live around other people who are from somewhere else, move to Farragut.
The vast majority of my friends here were born and raised in the area, but I have certainly met many people who moved to Farragut in the distant or not so distant past. Lots of transplants and "veterans" alike.

Quote:
For the record, I have never said that everyone in Farragut is from the North, nor have I ever said that everyone at Farragut is a snob. Nor have I ever said that the only snobs in Knox County are in Farragut. I sincerely apologize if I came across that way.
You didn't necessarily come off that way, but it does appear to me that you've got something against Farragut in general. Your experience with Knoxville trumps my own, however, so I'll leave that issue alone.

Quote:
BTW, my high school didn't offer a single AP class. I'd never heard of AP classes until I went to college. But now I'm a college professor, and my brother is an aeronautical engineer. Clearly the lack of AP classes didn't hurt us.
I'm glad for you and your brother. My dad (nuclear engineer at ORNL) would probably say the same thing, given that he came from a small town high school in Missouri.

I took AP classes in high school, and I would recommend them to anybody interested in giving it a try. It helped me get some credit for college, and I also met some of my favorite teachers through these classes. It was worth it, but opting not to take any AP classes probably wouldn't have changed anything for me significantly. I think the academic atmosphere is different in high school today than in the past (it's increasingly difficult to get accepted into college, as I'm sure you well know), but there are many paths available to get where you want to go.

Quote:
You seem like a bright person, and I'm glad you had such a good high school experience. With your positive disposition I bet you would've had an equally good high school experience at Karns or Carter or even Fulton or West.
Positive disposition? I suppose you could put it that way in some instances. I guess personality is hard to translate through the internet, but let's just say I'm no stranger to pessimism. Maybe I just make an effort to tone it down when I'm trying to be polite.

And yes, I probably would've had a good experience had I ended up at another high school in Knoxville. Given my experience, I'm glad I ended up where I did.

Quote:
And that's all I'm saying: Farragut is NOT the only good area in Knox County for schools, and I wish people would quit pretending it is.
I don't believe I've heard somebody state explicitly that Farragut is the ONLY good area for schools here, but that's just me. I guess I hope that people who move to Knoxville are well enough informed to investigate all of their options before making a final decision (even if, as in my case, that decision brings said people to Farragut).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 06:20 AM

9 posts, read 34,892 times
Great discussion - even some friendly "controversy" - thanks JMT & ThatTNGuy!

I will admit some of what has been said is feedback that I've heard. "Farragut is the place to be", "It doesn't really matter, the public schools in West Knoxville are the same..." I tend to go with JMT's thought's... I believe it's what you make of it. I take that philosophy with life in general, but still want to get opinions from people in the area even if their isn't a large difference. If there was a significant problem (crime, traffic, other??) in one region vs. the other, it would be nice to be aware of it before making a decision.

My kids have done their own research and are leaning towards Bearden HS and West Valley Middle School. Interestingly, my High schooler has found some local High schoolers online and heard that Farragut is where the "snobs" are, but I give the friendly reminder that there are snobs in ALL schools - it's just what happens in HS.

We are going to do exactly as you have suggested - try and find a house we like or if we can't find one immediately, select an area we like and rent before school starts. Although on my initial apartment search, I'm a little nervous about finding an apartment with a short term lease that accepts pets in the Bearden/West Valley area. As ThatTNGuy said, I will need to find an apartment in the school district we want to be in (that's what I suspected, but wasn't sure).

We are coming down for a brief trip for a few days next week. We are going to look at 10-12 houses in the Farragut, Bearden, West, Karns, Hardin Valley and Oakridge school districts. Hopefully, we can get a better feeling for the areas as we are looking at houses and make a decision. We want to be in an apartment by mid-July.

One thing for our kids here in Wisconsin - they are still in school. Monday is there last day so they are going to have a short summer! School doesn't start here until after Labor Day. Some of the band camps for HS start in Mid July... I'm going to have to make a decision VERY soon. Fortunately, my whole family is very excited about moving to the area and is treating this as an adventure. Everyone we've met has been very friendly and the area is just BEAUTIFUL (and warmer than WI).

Old 06-08-2008, 07:13 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,391,808 times
Well, I'm late to the party, but here's my dissertation.

There are four quadrants to Knoxville, and they're all different.

West-- Yes, it's New Money, but it's Old Money, too. West Knoxville has the shopping, the lakes, the newer upscale neighborhoods and the cache. It's where most transplants want to be, because there's a lot going open and it's open to transplants. Close-in West (Bearden) is convenient to almost everything; Farragut is further out, but it has Turkey Creek. Soccer moms, yuppies, Southerners, Northerners, Floridians and Californians live in harmony with Knoxville's Old Guard, so if you call this diversity, here is where you'll find it. It's more transient the further West you go, as newcomers move in and out and fill up the sprawl. Many people find Northwest Knoxville (Karns, Hardin Valley) not as nice as the Southwest Sector. If you want a dividing line, it's either Kingston Pike or I-40, depending on how picky and elite you want to be.

North-- It's Old Knoxville. There's a lot of greenery and a lot of pride... and a lot of aversion to change. People live here their whole lives, would never move and like things just the way they are. Fountain City, North Hills and other notable pockets have an abundance of small town charm. Your neighbors know your name and most of them really care when they ask how you are. There are some newer upscale developments and some wonderfully revitalized-- and revitalizing-- areas with historic Victorians and charming Craftsman bungalows. Go a little further North and you hit Halls, the picture of suburban sprawl. Central HS (or Halls) are the school(s) you would want here.

South-- The New South Knoxville is along the riverfront, and it's undergoing revitalization. It's close to downtown, Old City and UT and all that they offer. The close-in South Knoxville has lakefront and lake access properties and is wonderful for boating. Affluent empty nesters and retirees have found this area. The further out Chapman Highway you go, the older and more middle class it becomes. It has unpretentious charm, but it's not flashy. The schools here make this area less attractive to families with kids.

East-- There are nice pockets, but most of East Knoxville does not appeal to transplants. Holston Hills is a wonderful older neighborhood along the water. It's near Holston Hills Country Club, and there is still Old Money here. There are also some gentrifying old neighborhoods with lovely period architecture. While these are a rehabber's dream, they border "iffy" areas and are not always safe for children. Forget about the schools.

Here's the bottom line: every part of Knoxville is right for somebody, but not every part is right for everybody. Once you visit, you'll know which one is your section... and then you can start to narrow your search to neighborhoods. But if you really want the best school in Knoxville, with regards to AP, it's Webb (which touts 100% college placement). And if you live in a less expensive, but also nice, part of Knoxville, you can pocket your savings and send your kids there. But that's another controversy-- and a personal decision-- and I'm not going there.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:26 AM

611 posts, read 1,458,812 times
Moderator cut: text

And I do want to make clear that, although some kids that went to my school were the type you might see on "My Super Sweet 16" (one of them got a Hummer H3 his senior year), they were extremely few and far between. On the whole, kids at FHS, at least in my estimation, were very normal and unassuming - high schoolers in every sense of the word (or words).

Last edited by Beretta; 06-08-2008 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: sorry, not allowed, please use DM feature and good luck! :)

Old 06-08-2008, 10:17 AM

7,540 posts, read 17,228,595 times
Totally agreed with goodbyehollywood; bang on interpretation.

On a personal note, were I to choose a high school, it would be Bearden, hands down. So, MadMatt, looks like your kids and I are similar!

Old 06-08-2008, 03:43 PM

780 posts, read 1,765,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatTNGuy View Post
Moderator cut: text

And I do want to make clear that, although some kids that went to my school were the type you might see on "My Super Sweet 16" (one of them got a Hummer H3 his senior year), they were extremely few and far between. On the whole, kids at FHS, at least in my estimation, were very normal and unassuming - high schoolers in every sense of the word (or words).

Know what you mean, my Grandaughters go to private school in Florida, one is turning 16 this month and got a Hummer 3, the other graduated this week and got a Cadillac Escalade. SPOILED SPOILED SPOILED, I dont agree with it but who am I?

Old 06-08-2008, 09:53 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,133,429 times
Smile A+ for the homework, Dad, Mom and kiddos!

MadMatt, I think it is terrific that your children are involving themselves in the school process themselves.
It sounds like you have raised some very sensible and well-grounded kids. Sometimes, as adults, we don't give enough credit to our children's own intuitions concerning their welfare. Good job there.

You all seem to have done your homework and are going about this move in a very organized manner. It should be a very pleasant transition for the whole family.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:23 PM

9 posts, read 34,892 times
GoodByeHollywood: Nice summary, my personal impression has been very much in line with your analysis. I'm pretty much looking in the West since that's where my job is taking me. Thanks for your input!

jabogitlu: Thanks - Nice to get some opinions from other people that seem to justify our initial decision.

gailli: My kids will be lucky if they get to borrow my '97 Ford Taurus. No Hummer, Escalade, etc. I would love to see them work for their own vehicle, but in today's day with the cost of college, I may be forced to let them borrow my vehicle for a while.

gemkeeper: That is so nice of you to say - THANK YOU! That doesn't mean I fall down and do whatever they want, but they are responsible enough that I think it's important to get their feedback.

Anyone else want to provide feedback or add controversy? Bring it on!
Thanks!

Old 06-09-2008, 07:30 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,950,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMatt View Post
GoodByeHollywood: Nice summary, my personal impression has been very much in line with your analysis. I'm pretty much looking in the West since that's where my job is taking me. Thanks for your input!

jabogitlu: Thanks - Nice to get some opinions from other people that seem to justify our initial decision.

gailli: My kids will be lucky if they get to borrow my '97 Ford Taurus. No Hummer, Escalade, etc. I would love to see them work for their own vehicle, but in today's day with the cost of college, I may be forced to let them borrow my vehicle for a while.

gemkeeper: That is so nice of you to say - THANK YOU! That doesn't mean I fall down and do whatever they want, but they are responsible enough that I think it's important to get their feedback.

Anyone else want to provide feedback or add controversy? Bring it on!
Thanks!

Since your job is in West Knox, I agree with Bearden HS. But I'd also add West HS. West is closer in town and encompasses a wider variety of neighborhoods: multi-million dollar mansions in Sequoyah Hills all the way to the "Little Asia" neighborhoods along Sutherland Ave near the high school. A lot of U.T. faculty live in the West HS area and send their kids to that school.

I used to live down the street from Bearden HS near West Town Mall. It was a very nice area. Lots of Brady Bunch type neighborhoods with older Brady Bunch style homes. I really liked the Bearden area.

Anyway, if you want to live in West Knox, my votes are for Bearden or West.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:00 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,660,900 times
Try looking south of Kingston Pike and west of Gleason Road. That's in the Bearden District and a lot of that area is in the county but not the city, so you save on taxes.
There are some nice neighborhoods tucked away back off Gleason Road. Very private and not much traffic but very convenient to I-40 and shopping.
It's the Bluegrass and Concord area. Have no idea why there are called that. It's no where near Concord Road.
Also along Ebenezer up to South Peters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville