Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 01:12 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times

Advertisements

When I lived in Farragut I heard it termed "Far West Knoxville". Whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 04:21 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,388,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Oh come on, Bob. I have never ever said that everyone in Farragut is a snob or that the only snobs in Knox County live in Farragut. Nor have I ever said that the only bonehead students I've ever had were from Farragut. I don't hide the fact that I dislike suburbs, but I have actually recommended Farragut/West Knox occasionally to people in this forum.

The point I have tried to make is that Farragut is NOT the only good high school in Knox County, and there are plenty of other very nice areas of Knox County that are worth considering. So get used to it; anytime someone comes on here and announces that the only good high school in Knox County is Farragut, I'll chime in and slap us all back to reality.

By the way, how's this for irony: you've accused me of making unfair and sweeping generalizations of Farragut, yet you've made unfair and sweeping generalizations of me based on a couple of posts out of 3,000+ that I've made. Funny, huh?
sorry Jmt, I must admitt,I should not have judged you on a couple of comments. Glad to see you admitt you do not like suburbs, but Knoxville is full of them. I agree with your statements about good education in all parts of the county, as I have been in about all the schools, doing a drivers ed safety program, and you find all kinds from all schools. I promise that when I am working with clients, I show no favortism, as are too many good folks and areas, in all parts of our county and I do not dislike any of them. Its all about what we all like as individuals, and the things we look for in our choices of residence. As many old timers have said, "Home is where you heart is".

Old 06-12-2008, 11:25 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,244,635 times
I'm considering Knoxville for relocation, and I am appreciative of the wonderful information on this forum. I can say though that the West side would NOT be for me. I can't stand sprawl, consumersim, and all the self-absorbed personalities that go along with it. In fact, I'm trying to get away from that right now. For me, older, established neighborhoods where I know my neighbors are more attractive. Since I have no children, schools are not a concern for me. I just want an area that is safe for a single female who wants to buy her own little house, plant a garden, talk with the neighbors, volunteer in her community.....

Old 06-12-2008, 04:31 PM

611 posts, read 1,459,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
…and all the self-absorbed personalities that go along with it.
Thankfully, we're not all self-absorbed.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:30 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
I happen to believe that self absorbed people are found in all four corners of an area; just like the non self absorbed.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:06 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,392,558 times
I would have repped you for that, SMG, if I didn't have to spread it around first.

So consider yourself repped for that absolutely true observation!

Old 06-13-2008, 05:36 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
I happen to believe that self absorbed people are found in all four corners of an area; just like the non self absorbed.
That is very true. I've met a lot of self-centered people and they are from all neighborhoods and socio-economic backgrounds.

In Florida, I experienced a lot of neighborhoods that were full of these gated communities where they kind of created these Disney-like towns where the people seemed to be right out of "The Stepford Wives." They didn't seem to be grounded in reality. A lot of those people were maxed out on their credit, trying to keep up with each other. We now see what that got them.

Great for some, but not for me.

Maybe that's what cobalt is referring to.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:05 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,244,635 times
What Cobolt is referring to, and you wouldn't get this unless you've lived there, is the oversweeping "self-absorbed and entitled" attitudes of people in normal day to day interactions: the grocery store, walking, running errands, whatever. Although no place is ideal, when I was living in Tx, people made eye contact with you, greeted you, struck up small conversations and were generally welcoming. It was no Mayberry, but it was friendly. In the region where I currently live, it is NOT that way at all. If you walk down the street, on a trail and make eye contact or say hello, 9 times out of 10 the person will avert your greeting, ignore you, cross the street to avoid you. I remember walking out of a grocery story and greeting a woman with a "hello." She responded by yelling "I don't KNOW you." It's a pretty sad day when you can't even greet someone on the street unless you "know" them. No, I'm not exaggerating. THAT's what I'm trying to get away from. There is no perfect place, no utopia, I understand this. BUt there are places where people are less insular (I think due to the incredible gloomy weather we have here), less about their Northface jackets, less about their McMansion attitudes. Yes, when I was living in the South I met some self absorbed people, but they were not the oversweeping rule.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:13 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
I can say though that the West side would NOT be for me.
I agree with you, but want to offer a word of caution. Many people in Knoxville consider West Knox to be anywhere from Bearden to Farragut. So you might want to specify what areas you're looking to avoid, if in a situation where it would matter.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:15 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatTNGuy View Post
Right, Knoxville getting the last laugh and all. Thanks for reminding me.

But, in the end, it's basically in the western part of Knoxville (geographically speaking), and when I'm driving towards downtown, I never think to myself, "Alright, I'm exiting Farragut and entering Knoxville." Maybe it's just me, but that's how my mind works - it's all part of a bigger whole. It could be because I don't technically live in the town of Farragut, but who knows.
Agreed. When I lived there, West Knox was always Farragut. (I never referred to Bearden, West Hills, etc. as West Knoxville. Too much potential confusion.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville