Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 05:26 AM

9 posts, read 34,894 times

Advertisements

I've been pretty silent lately and since I started the post so I thought I would give an update. My last day of work in Wisconsin was Friday and I've been in Knoxville trying to get a feel for the area, look at some houses and try and select a school district the last couple days. I must say, I'm impressed with the area in West Knoxville. By the way, when I (an outsider) am referring to West Knoxville, I'm referring to everything west of Downtown Knoxville, west of the 640 interchange in Knox county.

We found some houses in Bearden we liked near Northshore drive. We are looking at some houses today in Farragut and Hardin Valley. My impression of Farragut is I like it. It seems more rural and that is my personal preference, but the Northshore drive area in Bearden seems similar. I do like the idea of the Farragut High School and Middle School being next to each other.

I discovered Kingston Pike is a pretty busy highway, but WOW you have a lot of restaurants here!!! It does seem that West Knoxville doesn't seem very diverse - mostly white. That's OK I guess, but I was hoping to expose my kids to a little more diversity.

Hopefully, after today's day of searching I'll have a better idea of the area / school district we'll want to select. I want to be in the area by July 21st because that's when it seems a lot of the band camps, etc. start and school will be starting shortly after that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 05:49 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,392,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMatt View Post
By the way, when I (an outsider) am referring to West Knoxville, I'm referring to everything west of Downtown Knoxville, west of the 640 interchange in Knox county.
West Knoxville has always started right after Cumberland Avenue turns into Kingston Pike. If you want to get technical, it goes Sequoyah, Bearden, Rocky Hill, Bluegrass, Concord, Farragut and now Choto out near the county line. New surburban pockets keep cropping up, but to locals, it's always been just West Knoxville, then Farragut.

As for the diversity, it's here; it's just not at the overt level you may be used to. If you want stepped-up diversity, you're looking in the wrong place. The slowly revitalizing areas in East Knoxville, downtown or parts of North and South Knoxville are where you're going to find that. But I don't think that's what you want.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:42 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
West Knoxville has always started right after Cumberland Avenue turns into Kingston Pike. If you want to get technical, it goes Sequoyah, Bearden, Rocky Hill, Bluegrass, Concord, Farragut and now Choto out near the county line. New surburban pockets keep cropping up, but to locals, it's always been just West Knoxville, then Farragut.

As for the diversity, it's here; it's just not at the overt level you may be used to. If you want stepped-up diversity, you're looking in the wrong place. The slowly revitalizing areas in East Knoxville, downtown or parts of North and South Knoxville are where you're going to find that. But I don't think that's what you want.
Another option is maybe West High School. West High encompasses the very posh Sequoyah Hills area as well as some Section 8 housing projects and neighborhoods that are very popular with foreign students along Sutherland. In fact, within walking distance of West HS are several Asian grocery stores. It's not far from downtown/U.T.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:39 PM

9 posts, read 34,894 times
Decision made - we are very excited to be relocating to Knoxville in mid-July. We just arrived back in Wisconsin this afternoon after our second visit to Knoxville and did a lot of house hunting, apartment looking and school analyzing and the winner is...... Bearden High School, West Valley Middle School area, we really like the area.

There are a lot of good things about all the areas around here - we just had to make a decision. We based our decision on a number of things and here are a few: The number of houses in the area that fit our criteria (many near Northshore drive), our kids interest, physical location (near my new work, near Knoxville, near the airport, near a number of parks, near the TN river. etc. I don't think we could have picked a "wrong" area, but this is the one we selected. We are VERY excited about relocating to the area. I do have a couple of issues I'm dealing with on a personal basis. I haven't sold my home in Wisconsin yet and that's my biggest issue. The real estate market isn't that bad here, but it is slow like the rest of the country. We did select an apartment complex (The Reserve at Westland) and now we have all the fun stuff to deal with. Packing, finding a mover, getting moved, starting work, registering the kids for school etc. This brings a lot of anxiety, but also is an adventure and we are looking forward to it.

Thanks to everyone's feedback - it did help make a decision. My future posts will probably be related about things to do in the area, but I think I can find that out just by searching the forum.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:23 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Decision made - we are very excited to be relocating to Knoxville in mid-July. We just arrived back in Wisconsin this afternoon after our second visit to Knoxville and did a lot of house hunting, apartment looking and school analyzing and the winner is...... Bearden High School, West Valley Middle School area, we really like the area.

There are a lot of good things about all the areas around here - we just had to make a decision. We based our decision on a number of things and here are a few: The number of houses in the area that fit our criteria (many near Northshore drive), our kids interest, physical location (near my new work, near Knoxville, near the airport, near a number of parks, near the TN river. etc. I don't think we could have picked a "wrong" area, but this is the one we selected. We are VERY excited about relocating to the area. I do have a couple of issues I'm dealing with on a personal basis. I haven't sold my home in Wisconsin yet and that's my biggest issue. The real estate market isn't that bad here, but it is slow like the rest of the country. We did select an apartment complex (The Reserve at Westland) and now we have all the fun stuff to deal with. Packing, finding a mover, getting moved, starting work, registering the kids for school etc. This brings a lot of anxiety, but also is an adventure and we are looking forward to it.

Thanks to everyone's feedback - it did help make a decision. My future posts will probably be related about things to do in the area, but I think I can find that out just by searching the forum.
Congratulations! I used to live in a basement apartment off Northshore and loved living in that part of town. Not only is it convenient to just about everything, but it's just a nice area. I hope you and your family will enjoy living there. Best of luck selling your home in Wisconsin, and be sure to let us know when y'all arrive in Knoxville permanently!

Old 07-09-2008, 10:36 PM

11 posts, read 37,251 times
Default Karns has a country feel.

My husband grew up in Karns, public schools with no AP classes, and became a successful engineer. His father and many others worked at ORNL, and they were not scientists. Every year we drive by where he grew up and there seems to be something new in the area. But we still see the cows in the fields, it's a nice feeling. I grew up in Chicago, private schools, and just barely graduated. I also like Oak Ridge; if we didn't have to stay in GA for the Hope scholarship for our kids, I think that is where we would move.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:44 AM

26 posts, read 130,785 times
Welcome to the neighborhood! I live less a mile away...if I can help in any way, feel free to send me a DM. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding anything...The Reserve is very convenient to everything!

Old 07-10-2008, 04:23 PM

396 posts, read 1,310,777 times
Quote:
Congrats MadMatt! You picked a nice area. I think you're right in saying that you felt you couldn't really go wrong in any area. We felt the same way and based our decision solely on proximity to work and downtown. We wanted to live between the two. There are many, many great neighborhoods all around Knoxville and it's so hard to pick one. Best of luck on your move and let us know how you like the Reserve.

LCG

Old 06-02-2012, 10:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,208 times
U.S. News & World Report: FHS No. in 5 in state; BHS No. 11
[URL="http://www.farragutpress.com/pages/contact_us.html?article_number=15475"]Alan Sloan[/URL] - Thu, May, 24, 2012

http://www.farragutpress.com/article...pics/15475.jpgFarragut High School, 11237 Kingston Pike, continued its “Blue Ribbon School of Excellence” ways during 2011-12 with its No. 5 state ranking, according to U.S. News & World Report, among 351 public schools in Tennessee.- Alan Sloan/farragutpressAmong 351 public high schools in Tennessee, Farragut High School is ranked No. 5 according to U.S. News & World Report Best High School Rankings.

“I’m proud of our students and staff and their efforts,” said FHS principal Michael Reynolds, whose school of roughly 1,665 students, 104 teachers and six administrators ranked 705th nationwide among 21,776 high schools.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:42 PM

5 posts, read 10,220 times
I realize that this original thread is very old, but I have been reading all of the posts regarding west Farragut as it is the area that I am seriously considering relocating.

I have recently started a new job that has a branch in Knoxville and I would like to take this opportunity to relocate. I was born and raised in Louisiana, moved in my late 20s to Maryland and am now a single mom to a Guatemalan-born adopted 11 year old daughter. I knew years ago I made a mistake moving so far up north - I am a southerner at heart and miss the people, way of life, easier financial life and weather. I just cannot take any more deep snow winters!

I have read the conversation about good schools with interest, found many appropriate houses in many of these school zones and am ready to come visit to see which ones I like best. The problem is that I am starting to worry that I may be causing a big problem for my daughter, especially as the comments above have been made about how white the area is. Can the old timers there tell me how you think the transition for my sweet, shy, beautiful brown-skinned girl will be? It would break my heart if this were a reason for her not to fit in and make friends. The only neighborhood she has ever known is very, very diverse and the fact that we do not look like we "match" is very rarely even commented on. Am I worrying for nothing? I desperately want a change, but as she does not like change this move will be hard enough on her and do not want to make a mistake by ignoring this issue. Any input would be so appreciated!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville