Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 12:38 PM

16 posts, read 119,568 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am new to this thread and I was wondering if I could get some advice on my future move to Knoxville, TN. I was born and raised in New Orleans, La; then lived 10 years in Viña del Mar, Chile, and after that I moved to Miami. As you can see I am not afraid of moving or change... ..I have been living in Miami for 5 years now, and I have become extremely frustrated with the traffic and the bad educated people that live here. I am graduating from DeVry University in July 2007 with a Bachelor's degree in Technical Management with a major in Marketing. I have been working as a Marketing Assistant for a Commercial Real Estate company for 4 years now and I would really like to pursue a career in the marketing or advertising field. I am tired of commercial real estate. I like Knoxville, TN, because of its culture; it is very similar to New Orleans. I know the people are very friendly, and it seems like a great place to live, work and play; however, what concerns me is "finding a good paying job" I must find a job before I relocate. Any advice??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2007, 06:17 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
I would check knoxnews.com for jobs. I have never been to New Orleans, but I'm not sure I see the comparison with Knoxville. From what I have heard, I would think that there are a lot of differences. Maybe you're thinking that both areas are friendly. I think the south is like that, a lot. But Knoxville is not a Mardi Gras kind of place. Lot less crime, too.

I've heard Memphis compare to New Orleans, but I don't think that was in a good way.

Anyway, that was just hearsay and not based on fact.

But try knoxnews.com.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:13 PM

Thanks for your advice. I will research more on that site. My comparison to New Orleans was not really thinking about Mardi Gras...New Orleans is not only partying and crime, I was referring to the friendly people and the great food. To what it use to be....Not the bad part of New Orleans. It is sad to see what New Orleans has become today, but it was not always that way. I know Knoxville is quite different, I just thought that it had some cajun culture to it...

Old 01-08-2007, 09:22 PM

29 posts, read 196,639 times
Quote:
I've heard Memphis compare to New Orleans, but I don't think that was in a good way.
You're right. When we say it's the same, we mean the po-lice and other criminals.

I got knocked around by a bored cop once. Not the first and not the last.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:30 PM

My mistake comparing both cities so literally...I guess I still have a lot to learn about Knoxville, huh?...I left New Orleans a very long time ago and I still have the good image of that once beautiful city....Sorry to hear that you got beat up by a bored cop...hope it does not happen to you again...stay safe

Old 01-08-2007, 09:35 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
Oh, Scarlett...That is one of my daughters names.

I am so sorry that happened to you.

Knoxville is a fine place.

Not like New Orleans. Very sedate and southern.

I've live here for 16 months, I would be happy to help both of you.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:42 PM

29 posts, read 196,639 times
It's one of the reasons I moved, so all is well now.

That's why Chattanooga attracted me so much, it has such a laid back vibe. Knoxville is becoming my 2nd choice though.

Good luck with your search susana!

Old 01-08-2007, 09:50 PM

Oh, I would really like that...thanks!!! I sure need some good advice and some guidance....I am dying to get out of Miami, but do not know where to start. I have a lot to plan.....I must sell my home, find a job, a place to live in Knoxville...In fact, where is a good area to live in Knoxville? Like, what County? What place is a nice area to live and work...Job and pay is my main concern for relocating to Knoxville...

Old 01-08-2007, 09:57 PM

Interesting Scarlett...Why so??..besides your bad encounter with the police..I would really like to learn the good and the bad...you always need the pro's and con's..;however, any place can beat Miami...

Old 01-09-2007, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Oh, Scarlett...That is one of my daughters names.

I am so sorry that happened to you.

Knoxville is a fine place.

Not like New Orleans. Very sedate and southern.

I've live here for 16 months, I would be happy to help both of you.
What part is better to live, West, East, North Knoxville?? Maybe another city suggestion. I have been reading a lot of other threads here about a lot of Illegals, Hispanic gang issues in TN, poverty, homeless, etc..Is this true?? I am trying to get out of my situation in Miami, but I cannot possibly imagen TN with similar problems...what is going on???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville