Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 07:24 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,805,731 times

Advertisements

Knoxville is often called “the couch” by the people who live there. It’s a place too unassuming to shout about but too comfortable to leave. The city, the third largest in Tennessee behind Nashville and Memphis, is also referred to as Knoxpatch, Knoxvegas and for those prone to irony and finger pistols, K-town, baby. The truth is, Knoxville, cheerfully ensconced in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains and banked against the Tennessee River, has an intrinsically lazy, soulful feel.

...most locals know their way around a banjo.

Seeing Knoxville, Tenn., in 36 Hours - NYTimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 07:59 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Well, the writer did go to DVX, so maybe that's why she has that impression. I've never heard Knoxville referred to as "the couch."

No matter. Lovely article. Wish my mom had a computer so that I could sent it to her. As it is, she finds microwave ovens to be suspect!

Do check out the pictures in the slideshow. Very nice and excellent publicity.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:06 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Well, here you go! Publicity, indeed.

The blog with the most hits in the universe (this is true), Knoxville's own instapundit has this to say:

IT MAY NOT HAVE BEEN ACCURATE, but it was smart! Allison Glock's New York Times piece on Knoxville contained this introduction: "KNOXVILLE is often called 'the couch' by the people who live there. It’s a place too unassuming to shout about but too comfortable to leave." That's a nice intro, but nobody in Knoxville can remember ever hearing it called "the couch." But thanks to that bit, Glock's story is the most-blogged item in the Times at the moment. My advice to travel writers -- always open your point with a minor error that's sure to get under local bloggers' skins, and watch your traffic and rankings soar!

Instapundit.com

Old 06-08-2008, 10:27 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
I've never heard it referred to as the couch, either... Or Knoxpatch, for that matter. But regardless, very cool article. Makes me hungry for Market Square!

Old 06-08-2008, 05:30 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,682,202 times
Smile Thanks for this informative site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoshika View Post
Knoxville is often called “the couch” by the people who live there. It’s a place too unassuming to shout about but too comfortable to leave. The city, the third largest in Tennessee behind Nashville and Memphis, is also referred to as Knoxpatch, Knoxvegas and for those prone to irony and finger pistols, K-town, baby. The truth is, Knoxville, cheerfully ensconced in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains and banked against the Tennessee River, has an intrinsically lazy, soulful feel.

...most locals know their way around a banjo.

Seeing Knoxville, Tenn., in 36 Hours - NYTimes.com
That's a site to be bookmarked for those of us wanting to know more about the area and the places to see, to eat and to just have a great time.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:54 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,134,645 times
Default Thanks, Kamoshika. Always on the beat!

That is a great article for locals as well as out-of-towners. It makes me want to take a quick 36 hr. vaca!

Hik, how about printing the article up for your mom? She might want to come for a visit and you can show her the beauty of Knoxville and your microwave.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:03 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Wow, in all of my years I have never heard of The Couch or Knoxpatch. Thanks for posting this Kamoshika.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:56 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,392,558 times
Knoxpatch I have heard-- that's a website and blog. But The Couch is a new one. I wonder if the writer used a little creative license. In the trade, we call that POO (Pulled Out of the Ozone).

Old 06-10-2008, 08:39 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
In the trade, we call that POO (Pulled Out of the Ozone).
Well, I'm not in the trade and I call poo on that too!

Old 06-12-2008, 10:34 AM

119 posts, read 384,411 times
Well I bet people will start calling it the couch now eh? That is so weird.....I wonder where the writer got that one??? The I think poo is probably the best guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville