Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2008, 11:57 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,869,325 times

Advertisements

Is it mostly described as suburban sprawl or are there older, charming neighborhoods and walkable downtowns? I ask because it seems the schools are a big draw. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 12:42 PM

611 posts, read 1,458,462 times
There's a good deal of suburban sprawl, but there are also some nice older neighborhoods to choose from if that's what you like. It's hard to characterize it as all one thing or all another thing, but right now you will certainly find lots of construction for new subdivisions, etc.

As far as downtown, I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, but when you say "walkable" I think I've got a general idea. There's a lot of room for walking and plenty of parks/other nature areas to choose from, but you'll also find retail stores and other similar businesses (Turkey Creek, for example, is a big retail outlet nearby). I'm pretty sure there are plans in the pipeline to enhance/renovate downtown, and I believe they're looking to make it more walkable (assuming I'm imagining something similar to what you had in mind).

Old 06-10-2008, 12:50 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
Is it mostly described as suburban sprawl or are there older, charming neighborhoods and walkable downtowns? I ask because it seems the schools are a big draw. Thanks.
Farragut is indeed a suburb and very sprawly. There is no downtown Farragut, no historical districts. It wasn't made a town until 1980. There are some older neighborhoods, however (meaning Brady Bunch era) and a few farmhouses left over from when West Knox County was very rural and before the old farms were carved up into McMansion neighborhoods. And as ThatTNGuy said, there are some parks in Farragut that are walkable.

If you want an older, charming neighborhood with a walkable downtown that's NOT Knoxville, check out Maryville, Clinton, Kingston, or Norris. Of those, Maryville arguably has the best schools.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:10 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
We left the Farragut schools and went into Maryville City Schools. We could have stayed and been fine there in Farragut but we have been more than pleased with the MC Schools. I think Farragut was "the" school system 15-20 years ago but like anything else, has undergone change over the years. Of your descriptions above I would go with suburban sprawl.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:18 PM

I've also heard lots of good things about Maryville's schools - some relatives live out that way and I like what I've seen. They know their way around a football field, too.

You can look through some of my previous posts, gimme it, for my impression of the Farragut school system. I graduated in '07 and had a great experience as a transfer student (moved during my junior year).

Old 06-10-2008, 01:37 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatTNGuy View Post
I've also heard lots of good things about Maryville's schools - some relatives live out that way and I like what I've seen. They know their way around a football field, too.

You can look through some of my previous posts, gimme it, for my impression of the Farragut school system. I graduated in '07 and had a great experience as a transfer student (moved during my junior year).
One of my sons is the same age as you (graduated last year) and started first grade at Farragut Primary. You graduated with many of his friends I am sure. There are some great parents in Farragut.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:41 PM

I bet I did! The people I met had a big part in shaping my experience, so I'm very greatful that I met all of them.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:29 PM

391 posts, read 1,358,748 times
Gimme, the schools in Farragut are still quite good, however there are some exceptional school systems in and around the Knoxville area that are making great strides to separate themselves from other programs. Specifically, Maryville as others mentioned and the Oak Ridge program has grown tremendously. Also, the new Hardin Valley Academy promises to be top notch.

There is a downtown Farragut project in the work, scheduled to start in about 6 months. I attended a conference a few weeks ago discussing this matter, and the plans for this project are quite ambitious. There will be loft apartments, boutique shops, an ampitheatre, a playhouse for acting performances, and quite a bit more that will add some attraction to the area. It will be in close proximity to Turkey Creek, which will make the West Side of Farragut a very desirable part of town. Below is a link that has pertinent information about the downtown Farragut project.
Welcome to Downtown Farragut

There are greenways throughout Farragut that do allow for fairly easy walking, and the downtown project plans to tie into the greenway trails, so that specific neighborhood greenway trails would have safe walkway access to the area.

As far as neighborhoods, there are some older neighborhoods with charm such as Fox Den, Village Green, Concord Hills. Also, there are newer construction neighborhoods abound, so there is really a good mix. Hope that helps.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:44 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Sold View Post
Gimme, the schools in Farragut are still quite good, however there are some exceptional school systems in and around the Knoxville area that are making great strides to separate themselves from other programs. Specifically, Maryville as others mentioned and the Oak Ridge program has grown tremendously. Also, the new Hardin Valley Academy promises to be top notch.

There is a downtown Farragut project in the work, scheduled to start in about 6 months. I attended a conference a few weeks ago discussing this matter, and the plans for this project are quite ambitious. There will be loft apartments, boutique shops, an ampitheatre, a playhouse for acting performances, and quite a bit more that will add some attraction to the area. It will be in close proximity to Turkey Creek, which will make the West Side of Farragut a very desirable part of town. Below is a link that has pertinent information about the downtown Farragut project.
Welcome to Downtown Farragut

There are greenways throughout Farragut that do allow for fairly easy walking, and the downtown project plans to tie into the greenway trails, so that specific neighborhood greenway trails would have safe walkway access to the area.

As far as neighborhoods, there are some older neighborhoods with charm such as Fox Den, Village Green, Concord Hills. Also, there are newer construction neighborhoods abound, so there is really a good mix. Hope that helps.
I love those plans for "downtown Farragut"! I was living in Smyrna, Georgia when Smyrna did the same thing: created a new downtown out of nothing. It worked, too. I really hope it works in Farragut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville