Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 08:12 AM

35 posts, read 81,438 times

Advertisements

Hello Creeksitter and others on this thread -

I had to laugh when I read your post! Let's see, my stance on my urban adventurer scale would be that since I am a single female, I am open, but obviously, don't wish for bars to be on my windows, and to always be looking around every corner, as I would like to be able to walk in my neighborhood on the sidewalks without carrying protection - so for the most part, I am open, but do also hope for a revitalization coming around the corner in that neighborhood, which may one day increase my home's value....it happened here in Orlando for several neighborhoods that I grew up in - never in a million years would I have thought 20 years later in a decent area, 5-10 minutes from downtown, would prices have jumped $400K+ for a BASIC home (3/1), - but again, convenience is everything, and these homes were built very well, but long ago....

Yes, a mountain view does trump water, and yes, I sort of assumed that having both would be wistful thinking, but I am open to a fixer-upper, so one never knows where they might find something.....

So to address your other questions:

*Price range would be from $100K-$200K, or thereabouts - obviously, there is alot to be considered, and with the economy the way it is for probably a while longer, I may "luck out" and get something even nicer for the same monies it would have been a year prior.

*Where I would be working is anyone's guess at the moment, since I am still interviewing, but I don't mind a 30-40 minute drive, if it allows me the home I am looking for.

*Size of home would need to be at least 3 Bedrooms, but perhaps a 4th or study would be nice as well. A 2 bedroom would be much too small more than likely.....and I am not against a 2 story, but would prefer a single-level home, if possible - the main ingredient is that it is fairly updated with electrical/plumbing.....and plenty of parking.

*A fixer-upper is definitely fine - albeit, I am not a carpenter by trade, but I do have vision.....

*I might consider a newer home with jaw-dropping views, but my heart is really set on an older home with much character in an established older neighborhood - I definitely don't want a cookie-cutter area to live in, or a Housing Association to deal with - again, the convenience of walking to the downtown area, where it is actually alive and thriving, is what I am looking for.

*Tolerance level for a bit trendy home, but a bit of a crime issue: Well, that would all depend on the types of crime I would think for starters - car burglaries or drug busts can be worked on, depending upon city monies available, and future city earmarks/plans, but murders and other more violent crimes I can't deal with, being a single woman. So on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the highest tolerance level towards violent crime, I would have to say a 3 - in other words, the home would have to be showing incredible future promise with the city budget allocating much positive change, for me to even consider it. Hopefully that clarifies it some for you....

*Non-trendy, but lesser crime is much more preferable, providing that it gives me the walkability of the neighborhood, and I can walk to the downtown, that again, is an alive, and perhaps even thriving, area of downtown. A coffee shop/breakfast diner, (no, it doesn't need to be a Starbucks =) ), is always appreciated, a post office, general store, whatever, but just something that is nearby, and is neighborhly.

*Back porch views are just fine - as I assume the sunsets would be well worth the wait, and I can think the sun-ups reading the paper, would be just as nice...

Well, I believe I have answered them all - i I missed one, just let me know - was that at all more helpful?

Thank you for your insight - have a great day everyone! =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 10:24 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
I'll need to wait until I have more time for an essay on Knoxville, but I'm thinking for a small town consider Lenoir City, there are older homes above downtown with both lake and mountain views!

You'l find in E TN the vast majority of violent crime/murders occurs between friends, relatives and business(drug) associates. Outside the university area, rapes seem just as likely to occur in a respectable apt clomplex as in a neighborhood. Property crime is way lower than Orlando.

I'll get on my soapbox here and mention that you are far more likely to come to physical harm if you undertake a 35 mile commute than living in just about any neighborhood in Knoxville. Something to consider when looking for work & home.

What line of work are you in?

Old 07-27-2008, 05:59 AM

There are a dozen or more pockets of views around town but I think Old North Knoxville is the closest to what you are looking for. It has the beginnings of a quant cafe district on its west side and a utilitarian shopping area on the east. Look around Scott and Folsom and the uphill homes on Oklahoma. Oakhill is the next hill north and it is less trendy, less $, and a little less crime. But to get to downtown proper from either of these you have to pass through some pretty bleak territory. South Knox has a more pleasant walk to downtown but most of the homes will be smaller than you want and the views will be of the Cumberlands.

You'll really need to be here in person to find a great view home. Because of the pollution we only get views about 1/3 of the time. I'll suggest renting an apartment at crestridge or a condo at Cherokee at westcliff. Be sure to insist on a view unit - they will be jawdropping and you'll know what days to go house hunting.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:54 AM

35 posts, read 81,438 times
Smile Thank you Creeksitter!

I certainly do appreciate your insight on this matter, and as I keep my fingers crossed on finding a new career opportunity - btw, I have an MBA and my background encompasses a broad spectrum to include, sales, mktg, program mgmt, Director, and compliance/regulatory, in the fields of healthcare, I.T., banking, hospitality, and finally, government/non profit.

So I am hoping that I can find something reasonably soon - I don't want my 1/3rd mountain view to get less and less as it gets nearer to winter! Ha!

But again, thank you so much - I will definitely rent/lease before I buy, but I am printing off your suggestions, and God willing, something good will be happening soon! =)

Old 07-27-2008, 12:50 PM

Don't worry, Fall/winter are the best views. It's not just air pollution but all the moisture given off by the trees that blocks the view. In the winter we'll get blasts of cold clear air from Canada that provide crystalline views. Sometimes I've seen clear air swept in by a hurricane in the summer. It's unusual but you'll have a grey, cloudy day but a great view nonetheless.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 2,956 times
Smile Knoxville

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitytoCountry View Post
Hey - I am moving to Knoxville from Chicago. Have you found a place yet? My husband and I are being relocated and we are late twenties
hello City to Country, have you moved to Knoxville yet? I found these posts while browsing for young professionals of knoxville organization. I recently relocated, my fiance and I are in late twenties (me) and early thirties (him) and are looking for networking opportunities.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:16 PM

2 posts, read 4,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relocated_to_Knoxville View Post
hello City to Country, have you moved to Knoxville yet? I found these posts while browsing for young professionals of knoxville organization. I recently relocated, my fiance and I are in late twenties (me) and early thirties (him) and are looking for networking opportunities.
We are 24 and 26. Maryville isnt the easiest place to meet people .... have you moved here yet? its so funny, i never thought id be trying to find friends.... I have so many at home that miss me. Im from MI. Best of luck to you all....let me know if there are networking opps I could get in on!

Old 07-22-2009, 04:19 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,720 times
Try Metropulse, the free alternative weekly. It comes out on Thursdays. It will have events and meetings. It's geared toward your age group.
Slow Food Knoxville has all kinds of meet-ups and events.
Slow Food Knoxville
Glass Bazaar does some great cooking classes. You learn to make a meal and then eat it.
Glass Bazaar - Calendar (http://www.glassbazaar.com/calendar/ - broken link)
Mighty Mud offers great classes and workshops. Try their Raku firings. Those are great fun.
Welcome to Mighty Mud -Ceramic Supplies & More
I've always found it easy to meet people when you've got a built-in event to talk about.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:14 AM

9 posts, read 19,903 times
Hi all, My husband (32) and I (29) live downtown and moved here last year from the northeast. To the original poster, downtown seems like the place for you - if you can afford it. Rentals are more expensive here because they are in limited supply but you would be within walking distance of bars, sports, shops and restaurants. There are some apartment complexes within a short drive away, mostly for students, but if you could afford living downtown, I think that is better.

I would definitely recommend Kimberly at Downtown Realty - she was our realtor and we had a wonderful time working with her. She lives downtown and has done so for about 5 years so she can give you a lot of insight about the area. She works mostly with condos for sale but can help with rentals.

If you have more questions or are interested in having a tour of downtown, I wouldn't mind helping out. I live very close to Market Square - the center of downtown - and would encourage you to come by when there is something going on there - which is most weekends. You can search on the internet for Market Square and find their website.

I hope that helps!
Elizabeth

Old 07-24-2009, 11:16 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Here it is!

Market Square District Association
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville