Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 10:16 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,805,731 times

Advertisements

And what a wondrous, magical sight it was! I coaxed my parents into joining me and we arrived at Sugarlands Visitor Center at 7:45 pm -- and not a minute too late, as they only allowed one more car into the parking lot after us. Once that lot is full, you're out of luck since only those who park there are allowed to ride the trolleys that shuttle you to Elkmont.

The trolley ride is about 15 minutes long and costs $1 round-trip. Once we arrived, everyone headed up the trail (over 1,000 visitors last night). The rangers have a greeting station at the trailhead w/ red cellophane & rubber bands to cover your flashlight.

Based on what I'd read on the Web, I assumed that there was a big field where everyone sat and watched the show...huh uh. Folks were spread out everywhere -- along the creek, beside the cabin ruins, atop huge rocks, deep in the woods, and in one small clearing where we plopped ourselves down.

The show didn't really get cranked up till about 9:55; the half-moon was very bright and the fireflies shied away from its light. We soon had some very nice synchronous flashing on both sides of us but we decided to get a little closer to the action. At the back of the meadow we found a trail that led deeper into the woods. As we walked back, the concentration of fireflies became increasingly dense. And after about 150 yards we stopped, utterly enthralled.

We were surrounded on all sides by hundreds of bright, blinking lights that would go dark for six seconds, and then flash six times in perfect unison before going dark again. I would guess that 95% of them were between 6 inches and 5 feet above the forest floor and their flashes so bright that they illuminated the ground below them. And while the cluster in one area would be in synch, a cluster 50 yards away would flash away to their own beat but still in perfect time w/ their immediate neighbors. Floating through occasionally were the beautiful blue ghost fireflies, every bit as spectral as their name suggests and adding their part to the amazing overall ambience. As much as I hated to leave, we started back at 10:15 due to notoriously long line for the rides back. But we all agreed that the 20 minutes of pure bliss, beauty, and wonderment we experienced were well worth the 50-minute wait for the trolley, the 210-mile round-trip drive and arriving back home at 1:45 am.

A few tips:

* Be sure to get to the parking lot early enough to catch a trolley or you'll be sorely disappointed. It typically fills up on weeknights by 8:30, but for some reason folks got there early last night. On weekends, I'd aim for 7:00-7:30.

* Good idea to bring snacks & drinks if you're going to be there for a few hours. Coolers aren't allowed but chairs & small backpacks/bookbags are OK.

* If you arrive at Elkmont before 8:00 or so, set up your chairs and explore a bit. It's really a neat area with an interesting history.

* There's no real need to walk 1/2 mile up the trail like many do. Some of the best displays are just 50-100 yards from the trailhead, on the left.

* I didn't see a lot of fireflies along the creek itself. It's a great setting w/ the rushing water and all, but not your best choice for viewing once it's dark.

* Be sure to bring a tripod for your camera if you want to capture these ephemeral floating beauties on film or memory card.

* A bear walked right by some startled visitors last night. You might see one yourself, but just sit tight and enjoy the experience...no need to panic.

* The best time to go is if its rained earlier in the day and then stopped by the time you venture out, as the fireflies love the extra-moist air. A volunteer ranger told me that Wed. night's show, following a shower that day, was "four times better than last night's." She said that it was so beautiful that she had to walk away from the information table into the woods for a minute so she could cry.

* By all means, go this year or next if you get a chance...I promise you won't regret it!

Great Smoky Mountains National Park - Synchronous Fireflies (U.S. National Park Service)

Pigeon Forge Tennessee-Synchronous Fireflies

Appalachian Voice - The Synchronous Fireflies of Elkmont
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 10:28 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
What a beautiful experience! And you sure know how to write, I felt like I was right there with you. Thanks for sharing this. I sure would like to go see it myself sometime.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:25 AM

4,951 posts, read 2,537,899 times
Thank you for sharing this with us. I too felt like I was there reading your account of the beautiful happenings. Maybe next year I will be able to see this myself, but for now I will live it through your experience. Thank You kamoshika!!!

Old 06-13-2008, 11:51 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,349,268 times
I too felt like I was there with you. This is a definite must do for next year.
Thanks for sharing about it.
Pam

Old 06-14-2008, 06:35 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,822,190 times
Agreed, thanks VERY much for all the info, because we tried to go the same night you did, got there at 8:15 which was too late. I didn't know what time we needed to be there, and I didn't want to sit in an uncomfortable chair for 5 hours. Really appreciate the tips, cause next year we are thinking of staying in the campsite. The part about the bear was funny!

Old 06-14-2008, 06:42 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
I love the bear story, too.

This is the first thing that I read that didn't leave me thoroughly confused about how to go about viewing them. Thanks! Wonderful writing.

Old 05-24-2009, 04:47 PM

1 posts, read 6,658 times
Default I'm going back!!

I must post here to say I to have witnessed the beauty of the firefly dance. How AMAZING it is to witness another one of GOD's breathtaking miracles. This should be a must see on everyones bucket list. I'll be back this JUNE!

Old 05-27-2009, 09:56 PM

15 posts, read 54,258 times
Thank you so much for this I never knew this. I have put it on our calender for the kids this summer.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:47 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,805,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmacandme View Post
I must post here to say I to have witnessed the beauty of the firefly dance. How AMAZING it is to witness another one of GOD's breathtaking miracles. This should be a must see on everyones bucket list. I'll be back this JUNE!
Me too! I reserved a campsite right next to the river @ Elkmont so I can spend more time with the fireflies. My parents are going back as well, this time with several friends. Can't wait!

Smokies 'light show' scheduled June 6-14 : Local News : Knoxville News Sentinel

Old 06-10-2009, 06:57 PM

623 posts, read 1,542,524 times
Went this year and it was surprisingly awesome. I'm not certain how much longer they'll be "putting on the show," but anyone can message me and I'll tell you a good spot that's a short walking distance from the Sugerlands Visitors Center; no Trolley ride or lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville