Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2008, 06:17 PM

4 posts, read 11,863 times

Advertisements

Great! We will tell the realtor to look for homes in that area. Moving from DC to Knoxville is a bit stressful but we are very excited!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 06:20 PM

16,174 posts, read 32,368,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Oh! SMG, aren't you fairly close to Louisville. You COULD play Auntie!
Yep, I could at that!!! This would help my "I want a baby" hormones calm down. Now, if I could only calm my "I want a new house" feelings.

Back to the OP; let us know what you decide when you come here to look. We all love showing off all of our areas of town.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:01 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,638,419 times
You'll adjust quickly from D.C. I lived there most of my life (Georgetown, Mt. Pleasant, Foggy Bottom). I miss some things, like great artisan bread, but the traffic, random violence, drugs and Yuppie A-types I do just fine without.
You won't believe what they call "rush hour" here!
I've had several gay couples as neighbors here and they were quite happy.
Check out Metro Pulse, Knoxville's version of the City Paper.
Metro Pulse: Knoxville News, Issues, Entertainment, Culture, People
They had some interesting stories a couple of weeks ago about the Gay-Straight Alliance in local high schools.
Lining Up a Gay-Straight Alliance : Features : Metro Pulse
I hope you find a good home in East Tennessee.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:27 PM

2,116 posts, read 6,789,623 times
Congratulations and all the best with the twins. I recently met a gay male couple who moved to the Halls area and they love it there, with their 4 cats, 2 dogs and a pig. But I guess that's a bit far from Louisville.

My concern is that Maryville is not as gay-friendly as Knoxville. Maryville is very blue collar, does not have the progressiveness that UT brings. Maryville has less transplants and more natives. I could be wrong, but this is my perception so far.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:36 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,852,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhlindc View Post
Gay male couple moving to Knoxville in July seeking advise of friendly areas to purchase a home. We are also expecting twins in November and we want to live in an area where people will be welcoming and or tolerant. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks!!
Congrats on the twins !

Welcome to Tennessee !

Old 06-17-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
My concern is that Maryville is not as gay-friendly as Knoxville. Maryville is very blue collar, does not have the progressiveness that UT brings. Maryville has less transplants and more natives. I could be wrong, but this is my perception so far.
I live smack dab in Maryville and I disagree with this. My next door neighbor is co-owner of a major regional oil company and the other side is an executive at Alcoa. There are lots of progressive folks in Maryville. If you want to see different people from different walks of life go by Lemon Grass, The Tomato Head, Sullivans, Foothills Milling, or one of the coffee shops or sandwich shops, etc. on a weekend. Go to the Foothills Festival and you will see families of all shapes, colors, persuasions, etc. Go by the library and chat with the Maryville College professors along with the farmers that have seven figure bank accounts. I think you find what you are looking for in any situation or town. I know for a fact that my church has g/l couples/families (white homosexuals with black children at that). While a lot of Maryville is blue collar a lot of it is not. In many ways Maryville is more diverse than many neighborhoods in Knoxville.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:41 PM

7,507 posts, read 17,131,483 times
Ooh, I forgot that Maryville has the other Tomato Head. I may have to go there sometime soon, when I'm in the mood for the Vegan Sandwich but not in the mood for Market Square!

Wait, did you say farmers with seven figure bank accounts? What're they farming! No, wait - don't answer that.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Ooh, I forgot that Maryville has the other Tomato Head. I may have to go there sometime soon, when I'm in the mood for the Vegan Sandwich but not in the mood for Market Square!

Wait, did you say farmers with seven figure bank accounts? What're they farming! No, wait - don't answer that.
hehehe - have you seen some of the old farms that now have shopping centers, neighborhoods, etc. on them? old money and new sales, kaching!

Old 06-17-2008, 07:09 PM

7,507 posts, read 17,131,483 times
Very true. The guy that owned most of North JC is now rolling in the dough, too.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:39 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,237,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Twin babies?! Next door to me so I can be an Auntie!!!

Good call. I was thinking that they're gonna NEED some Aunties.

Good luck on the move AND the babies and I hope you get settled and comfortable- you're heading for the most WILD ride
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville