Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2008, 12:09 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,780,380 times

Advertisements

This is very unsubstantiated information, but my architect girlfriend says that there is talk of Food City moving its headquarters to downtown Knoxville from Virginia. She seemed to remember something about the vacant TVA tower...Has anyone else heard this rumor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 12:25 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitties of Domination View Post
This is very unsubstantiated information, but my architect girlfriend says that there is talk of Food City moving its headquarters to downtown Knoxville from Virginia. She seemed to remember something about the vacant TVA tower...Has anyone else heard this rumor?
Wow, I hadn't heard that rumor but I hope it's true! While I don't wish any ill will to our friends in the Tri Cities, since Knoxville is growing so much faster and is where Food City is opening most of its new stores, it seems only natural. And with their HQ here maybe this means Food City is thinking of expanding south towards Chattanooga and west towards Cookeville and even Nashville.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:09 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitties of Domination View Post
I would not be a bit surprised! That would be a blow to Abingdon and the Tri Cities but I understand what the move would bring. Keep us posted!

Old 06-19-2008, 04:16 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
That would be a blow, mostly to Bristol workers. Abingdon is just too far a commute for me here.

I had no idea one of the TVA towers was vacant, anyway. Is the other?

Old 06-19-2008, 08:48 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
That would be a blow, mostly to Bristol workers. Abingdon is just too far a commute for me here.

I had no idea one of the TVA towers was vacant, anyway. Is the other?
Yeah one of those TVA towers has been vacant for a few years now. The other tower is still occupied by TVA. TVA had a buyer for the vacant tower a couple of years ago but he backed out at the last minute. If Food City wants to move its corporate headquarters to downtown Knoxville, there's certainly room and it can probably be had for a bargain.

Plus--and this is not meant to be a slight against the Tri Cities--Knoxville is growing a lot faster and is probably where Food City will see the bulk of its growth. I can see why they'd want to move their HQ here (if the rumors are true).

Old 06-20-2008, 06:03 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
A new Food City is going up in Clinton right now but it's just going to replace a pre-existing store. There's no news online, that I could find, of Food City Headquarters moving and that would probably be big news. They are apparently the cover story of that magazine we all subscribe to "Grocery Headquarters" and I would think if they were going to announce a move, that would have been the time/place to make the announcement.

Cover Story :: Smoky Mountain Majesty

They did just recently open a Super Dollar Discount Foods in East Knoxville:

US: Food City to open Knoxville's first discount store

Old 06-20-2008, 07:37 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
Not a slight at all, JMT. Were the Tri-Cities growing as fast as the Knoxville metro I think I'd be terrified.

Kroger and Ingles have the big monopoly here anyway. I think they're building a new Food City in Piney Flats, but it's the only new one that I know of. Poor White's, on the other hand, is closing stores left and right.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:03 PM

391 posts, read 1,359,475 times
I have spoke to four of my associates in the commercial world, two of which knew nothing about it, one of which said he had heard a rumor, and one, working for a non-mentioned company for obvious reasons, stated that there had been talks in the past about the TVA building and one or two other buildings within the surounding area. All press will be non-existent as all employees are on a gag-order until if or even when something where to actually transpire in the future. So, it appears that rumor may have been true to some extent. That would be great news to the Knoxville area for SO many different reasons. Perhaps to give them a good deal on the building we as a city could petition them to carry Sabrett's Hot Dogs SmokyMtnGal? Just a thought.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville