Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 05:00 PM

283 posts, read 899,744 times

Advertisements

There have been several threads about Oak Ridge. One way to get really quick information is to enter Oak ridge in the search and see what comes up.

I've been to Oak Ridge a few times, even stayed in hotels there for a few days at a time. It is a small town, not much of a downtown, and seems nice. I have read on here that the schools are really good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 10:00 PM

187 posts, read 460,105 times
Yeah there has been a bunch of recent threads on here about Oak Ridge...Oak Ridge does have good schools and good jobs...Far as the area itself tho..Its really just hit or miss...Some areas good,and some not so much...Typical small town stuff usually...They have a few really nice golf courses there,As well as some really nice lakefront areas...Other than walmart and grocery stores,there really isn't any shopping there at all,and the same goes for resturants also...For all that you would have to spend all your time in West Knox...Far as the bad goes...Just stay out of the Scarborough community and the area known as "the valley"...Other than that its pretty much like most small towns

Old 08-10-2010, 06:33 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,986,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorK View Post
We are currently looking to move to Oak Ridge from Texas. Anyone have personal experience there? Thinks to look for, things to stay away from?

Thanks.
Who is "we" so we can tell you something about it that might appeal/might not appeal to your ages and things that you like? What do you like/not like? For example, I could tell you that we have a really nice children's museum but if you don't have children, that would be a waste of time. I could tell you we have a community band but if you don't like music or play an instrument you might not care. I could tell you we have a great education program for retirees but if you are in your 20s - 40s, I'd be wasting my time.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:10 AM

610 posts, read 1,623,047 times
Big Ed's Pizza!!!

Old 08-10-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airen123 View Post
Big Ed's Pizza!!!

Ahh yes..How could i have forgotten about Big Ed's...I spent most of my high school years eating there

Old 08-22-2010, 07:42 PM

8 posts, read 14,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Who is "we" so we can tell you something about it that might appeal/might not appeal to your ages and things that you like? What do you like/not like?

Sorry for the long wait.

"We" are a couple in our mid 30's (35 to be exact) with a 13, 5, and 4 year old. I'm a plumber by trade, and my wife is Personal Banker for a local bank. We enjoy the outdoors (walking, running, biking, trails, 4 wheelers, etc.) but we also enjoy our time at home.

We visited Oak Ridge last weekend and had a look around (we didn't go to Big Ed's though ) We really enjoyed the city, and we stayed with a relative that lived around Kentucky street. We looked at a couple of houses in the area with a local Realtor. We found one that we were in love with, but we are waiting on the sale of our home here in Texas before we can move.

The town feels about like the town we live in now. We have a walmart here and a few grocery stores, but if you want anything bigger than that, and different restaurants, then you have to drive at least 20 miles to get there. Sounds like it will be about the same in Oak Ridge.

We did see "the Valley" and were told to stay away from that area (I think just about every town has a "Valley".

I have 3 job leads already up in Knoxville, and wife can transfer, so we should be alright.

People seemed pretty friendly, and I told my wife that I was amazed that in the 4 days that we were there, I never heard anyone honk a horn at anyone.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:18 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,259,284 times
It's about 13 miles to Turkey Creek.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:44 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,858,966 times
Depends on what you are looking for. I lived in Oak Ridge 12 years, moved away then moved back. Hated it both times. If you are babyboomer age you may like it. Otherwise there's nothing much to do. Lots of drugs, mostly meth and lots of crime and not just in Scarboro area. After moving back to OR I quickly moved to another nearby small town which is even more boring but at least there's less crime. Basically there's nothing to do but go to the gym or stay at home. There's literally no way of meeting people if you are in your 20's-40's most of the social outlets are geared to the seniors age group.

If you are into organic food or any sort of alternative way of thinking you will be lonely here. I spend all of my free time at the gym or martial arts classes in other towns otherwise there is nothing to do and no one to do it with. Half the town is abandoned stores and shops. No good restaurants, no good stores unless you like Super Walmart, nothing very cultural, everyone keeps to themselves unless you are a member of their church. If you ask people what they do they just all say they sit around at home or else they go out of town. Oak Ridge streets are like a ghost town on the weekends!

Old 08-24-2010, 01:56 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,259,284 times
Mtneer: I'm not a big fan of OR, either, but some people like it.

Definitely visit the farmer's market on Saturday mornings. It's over near Big Ed's Pizza. You might want to hook up with these people. Might be interesting. OAK RIDGE PLAYHOUSE

Old 08-24-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
Depends on what you are looking for. I lived in Oak Ridge 12 years, moved away then moved back. Hated it both times. If you are babyboomer age you may like it. Otherwise there's nothing much to do. Lots of drugs, mostly meth and lots of crime and not just in Scarboro area. After moving back to OR I quickly moved to another nearby small town which is even more boring but at least there's less crime. Basically there's nothing to do but go to the gym or stay at home. There's literally no way of meeting people if you are in your 20's-40's most of the social outlets are geared to the seniors age group.

If you are into organic food or any sort of alternative way of thinking you will be lonely here. I spend all of my free time at the gym or martial arts classes in other towns otherwise there is nothing to do and no one to do it with. Half the town is abandoned stores and shops. No good restaurants, no good stores unless you like Super Walmart, nothing very cultural, everyone keeps to themselves unless you are a member of their church. If you ask people what they do they just all say they sit around at home or else they go out of town. Oak Ridge streets are like a ghost town on the weekends!

I'm glad to see that i'm not the only one here that thinks that Oak Ridge has a pretty big drug issue for a town/city its size...I can't even count how many drug deals i've witnessed in the parking lot of the walmart and the "mall" there....Oxy and meth both are a big problem in Oak Ridge....But still it does have its really good areas too...The lakefront area of Oak Ridge is still a highly sought after area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville