Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 08:11 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,238,005 times

Advertisements

I know Save a lot sometimes has tastyKakes.....

I totally agree on the demographics thing. We just came back from 9 days in NM and even the McDonald's have green chile cheeseburgers on the menu.
One thing that WAS hard to find down there was swe'tea (you drink as much as my husband does and it becomes one word) Only every other McD's had it and NO sit downs had unflavored sweet tea. Lotsa mango, blackberry, raspberry.... but no plain ol' sweet tea.

The biscuits and gravy was offered with green onions so he didn't even TRY to order it. I told him that opening a sutherin' cookin' restaurant would probably be a good idea to serve those transplanted southerners that get a little homesick at times.

I do have to say I ATE my way across New Mexico though... tastiest trip i've ever been on! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 08:45 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,104,290 times
Maine's McDonalds sells lobster rolls!

Old 07-10-2008, 03:26 PM

396 posts, read 1,305,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Maine's McDonalds sells lobster rolls!

I remember years ago going up to New England and seeing signs for the McLobster sandwich!

Old 07-10-2008, 04:30 PM

186 posts, read 483,266 times
I moved out of NJ when I turned 26. If Knoxville had a White Castle and a Jimmy Buff's, I'd be doing cartwheels!
Is there a store in Knoxville that sells Drake's cake products? Devil Dogs, Ring Dings, Yankee Doodles and Yodels were my fav!

Old 07-10-2008, 04:54 PM

396 posts, read 1,305,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1961 View Post
I moved out of NJ when I turned 26. If Knoxville had a White Castle and a Jimmy Buff's, I'd be doing cartwheels!
Is there a store in Knoxville that sells Drake's cake products? Devil Dogs, Ring Dings, Yankee Doodles and Yodels were my fav!
Isn't Krystal like White Castles? I think you can get frozen White Castles in the grocery store. I gave up Drake's cakes years ago but I'm surprised you can't find them anywhere. I used to loveeeeee Devil Dogs...Mmmmmmm.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:23 AM

2,116 posts, read 6,791,147 times
Krystal is crap. Doesn't taste like White Castle. I'm not a fan of either place. I dunno if it was Drake's but I liked these chocolate peanut butter things, can't remember the name right now. I remember Ring Dings!

Old 07-11-2008, 08:51 AM

Ring Ding's no longer come in the foil. I think that's an outrage!

No. Drake's aren't here, however, they can be ordered online.

My husband is from the midwest. You can get White Castle in the freezer section, as well as Skyline Chili sauce.

For those from Chicago, REAL Giardiniera at Food City. There's a place off of Holston Drive that sells Italian Beef. I haven't got over there, yet. If you want a good Italian Beef, my husband makes a great one. Come on over!

I wish I could replicate a clam fritter, but I can't. However, dry-packed scallops are sold at the Shrimp Dock, as well as some decent New England seafood and tons of stuff from New Orleans. Everyone from everywhere should by their seafood at The Shrimp Dock. ALL of it is AMERICAN!

Old 07-11-2008, 10:02 AM

780 posts, read 1,759,110 times
We had in Florida Royal Castles with cold mugs of Birch Beer. Sometimes I think if they would bring back some of the older restaurants and foods they would sell really well in todays world, we had Lums in Fl too and they had excellent items and big schooners of draft beer.

I do love Krystals though, once in a while I get a craving for them

Old 07-11-2008, 10:19 AM

We have lots of Krystals in Knoxville. Do you mean White Castle?

Old 07-11-2008, 10:22 AM

16,174 posts, read 32,375,194 times
Having lived both up north in PA and down here I think that Tastycakes and Hostess products taste a lot alike. At least the chocolate rolls and some of the others are similar. I don't think that Tastycakes carries Twinkies though do they? One of my bridal showers featured a Twinkie cake; but that's for another thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville