Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 09:12 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by husbus View Post
Most door-to-door sales people aren't dangerous in any way, but it's still a nuisance. The neighbor kid came to our door to sell us a Knox News subscription, and I think it was fully legit. I don't want one though, and really, the thing that makes me the most annoyed about this type of thing is that it makes me feel bad to say no.
If it is the neighbor kid, then it is legit, unless you live in a weird neighborhood.

Many door-to-door sales people are involved in some sort of scam. Don't answer or if you are brave tell them to go the heck away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 03:38 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,520,148 times
They are going to make us all afraid to buy Girl Scout cookies. I need my cookies!

Old 09-06-2008, 05:48 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HengyMama View Post
They are going to make us all afraid to buy Girl Scout cookies. I need my cookies!
Actually, Girl Scouts in this area are told not to sell door to door anymore. You will see a lot of cookie stands in front of grocery stores and big box stores. So, don't fret, the cookies are available! Of course, I get hit up at work like nobody's business!

Old 09-09-2008, 09:11 AM

11,111 posts, read 9,753,246 times
We also get hit in California by the Travelers. They are clans (actual families) of folks whose mission is to get by on other people's money. They usually are trying to sell you some home improvement like roofing or driveway paving or sealing. They get you to pay "for materials" up-front and then either never come back with the stuff, or they pretend to be doing some work and really they just did nothing. The TV show "The Riches" was about a fictional traveler family. Never give anyone money in advance for a job, and always check references before agreeing to let anyone do work in your home or yard.
Some of the teen/young adults selling magazines are almost hostages to the adults running this scam. The adults take all the money and the kids have no way to get home once they go on the road with these guys. It's a total rip-off. Don't open your door to people who are selling things door to door, especially if you're home alone.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
We also get hit in California by the Travelers. They are clans (actual families) of folks whose mission is to get by on other people's money. They usually are trying to sell you some home improvement like roofing or driveway paving or sealing. They get you to pay "for materials" up-front and then either never come back with the stuff, or they pretend to be doing some work and really they just did nothing. The TV show "The Riches" was about a fictional traveler family. Never give anyone money in advance for a job, and always check references before agreeing to let anyone do work in your home or yard.
Some of the teen/young adults selling magazines are almost hostages to the adults running this scam. The adults take all the money and the kids have no way to get home once they go on the road with these guys. It's a total rip-off. Don't open your door to people who are selling things door to door, especially if you're home alone.
We get a lot of door-to-door sales people around here, too.

Alarms, gutters, the works.

There were these girls driving around in a scary-looking vehicle that wanted to pave driveways OR clean your house.

Multi-talented, I guess.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:47 PM

811 posts, read 2,009,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
There were these girls driving around in a scary-looking vehicle that wanted to pave driveways OR clean your house.

Multi-talented, I guess.
LOL--funny....but then again...not so funny, more sad.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:49 AM

By the way, Girl Scouts do walk door-to-door to sell cookies and should be in your neighborhoods now. Then they will set up at stores, beginning on February 7. On March 7 they will do their "Walk About" where they will, once again, go door-to-door.

Since I last posted a young man came by for the Knoxville Sentinel and I caved and bought a large subscription. Then he had to wait around for a ride, so we invited him back to our house where he told us his life story while he waited to be picked up.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:16 AM

391 posts, read 1,359,208 times
I love my Simoas and Thin Mints! Anyone on board I'll be happy to buy 5-10 boxes or so if your kids participate, I'm seriously addicted!

Interestingly enough, we had our first door to door salesman a while ago. He came to the door and simply said "Yeah, so I'm doing a meat thing, got all kinds in the back of the truck."

I said, "Well I'm doing a license plate thing, so let me jot yours down before I look at what you got."

He then tried to get out of it by saying he had just came to deliver an order to the "old" lady across the street, but she missed the appointment time and wasn't home, so he's gotta get rid of it. After I told him all three neighbors across the street were in their 20's and not old, he got the hint. I told him not to bother with anyone else on the street, that I had their phone number and would call as soon as he pulled in their driveway. He got a little frustrated and just drove off. I did score his license plate though as he pulled out...

Old 01-20-2009, 09:33 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Sold View Post
I love my Simoas and Thin Mints! Anyone on board I'll be happy to buy 5-10 boxes or so if your kids participate, I'm seriously addicted!

Interestingly enough, we had our first door to door salesman a while ago. He came to the door and simply said "Yeah, so I'm doing a meat thing, got all kinds in the back of the truck."

I said, "Well I'm doing a license plate thing, so let me jot yours down before I look at what you got."

He then tried to get out of it by saying he had just came to deliver an order to the "old" lady across the street, but she missed the appointment time and wasn't home, so he's gotta get rid of it. After I told him all three neighbors across the street were in their 20's and not old, he got the hint. I told him not to bother with anyone else on the street, that I had their phone number and would call as soon as he pulled in their driveway. He got a little frustrated and just drove off. I did score his license plate though as he pulled out...
LOL, very funny!

Old 01-20-2009, 12:30 PM

What is the deal with those meat guys? I've had several come to our door in the past few years.

Our daughter is a Girl Scout, Will. I'll DM you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville