Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 03:08 PM

11 posts, read 27,839 times

Advertisements

I am considering the Knoxville area, and have a couple of questions concerning the area specifics. I am 30 and single and will be moving to the area with my 2 dogs. I currently live in South Louisiana (about 45 mins South of New Orleans). I am looking for a town/area with people my age and close proximity to outdoor activities (and have some for my dogs). I'm not sure if Knoxville fits this, or if I should look into the surrounding areas. I have looked into some towns like Oak Ridge and Fountain City, but I'm not sure of others that may fit. I will be visiting the area in the next couple of months, and would like to get a couple of more ideas/places to evaluate when I'm there.

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 04:45 PM

120 posts, read 1,171,166 times
depending on how much you can afford I would think you would want to be close to the city in knoxville. they have nice bars and shop to go to for good coffe and such. Nice park for your dogs too. they always have things going on in the spring and summer like every thur they have a concert of some cool bands. they have also have fairs and such. good luck i hope you find what your looking for

Old 08-19-2008, 05:35 PM

As for Knoxville, would that be North, South, East, West or Downtown/UT? Also, I am not much in to the bar scene, and must more prefer outdoor activities... fishing, hiking, biking, dog parks. I also enjoy museums and other cultural activities.

Thanks for the info.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:50 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,388,986 times
hEY AMRACEL, LOTS OF QUESTIONS, TO BE ABLE TO HELP YOU. KNOXVILLE IS SO SPREAD OUT, AND PLENTY OF RURAL AREAS, WOULD MEET YOU NEEDS. PRICE RANGE IS SO VARIED, AND IF YOU WANT A HOUSE, OR CONDO, YOU CAN CHOOSE SEVERAL PLACES, THAT HAVE EITHER GREENWAYS FOR WALKING AND BIKING, AND ONCE YOU POST MORE, WE CAN BETTER HELP AND MAKE SOME SUGGESTIONS FOR YOU. YOUR BEST BET, IS TO COME, TOUR AND GET FAMILAR WITH ALL AREAS.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:13 PM

I have researched a couple of areas around Knoxville based on outdoor activities. I don't know any one in Knoxville, so I'd like to live somewhere where it's fairly easy to meet people with like interest (groups or meetups).

I finish my MBA in Technology Management earlier this year, and have a BS in Agri Economics. I have submited my resume to a couple of places and am looking for more. (So if you have any ideas there...)

I intend to rent when I get there; although not knowing the area I'm not sure where is suitable/safe for a single woman. Also, I am from a smaller town (bordering Houma) and prefer to move somewhere about the same. However, I am no opposed to living in Knoxville, I just don't know the area and am having trouble finding different demographics and information for North, South, East, West areas.

What neighborhoods should I avoid? Are there surrounding cities close enough for a commute, that offer outdoor recreation?

Thanks

Old 08-19-2008, 09:49 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,388,986 times
Several bordering cities, start south is Lenior City, only 20 minutes to west knoxville, going north is Karns, Powell, and Ft.city, and south is Seymour. Many condos areas, that are safe, and plenty of place to rent, all depending on your budget.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:01 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
You might want to check out Fountain City. While FC is part of Knoxville proper, it really does have a feel of a smaller town (which it used to be until it merged with Knoxville in the 1970s, or was it in the 60s?). FC has an intense sense of community. It's the kind of neighborhood where people walk across the street to talk to their neighbors rather than call them on the phone. I have quite a few friends in FC (including our very own hiknapster here in this forum) and they are all madly in love with the place. Fountain City Park is also very dog-friendly.

One piece of advice: find a church here. Attending church is a huge deal to many people here, and frankly it's an excellent way of meeting people. Since you don't have kids and therefore won't meet other parents at PTA meetings and such, as a single person you might enjoy being involved in a church group for other like-minded singles.

You also mentioned Oak Ridge. That's also a nice area that's got easy access to wonderful outdoor sports. But it's got an aging population. Many of the people who've worked in Oak Ridge have retired and don't want to leave. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but if you're interested in living in an area with lots of young singles, that might not be the best place to live.

West Knox also has a lot of younger single people (not college students), probably more than anywhere else in the area. West Knox is closer to lakes than the rest of Knox County, and it's probably the most "hip" part of the area.

Pretty much anywhere in Knoxville is good for outdoor activities. Even in the middle of the city there are bike trails. House Mountain is a beautiful state park in northeast Knox County that has some good trails and great views.

It's late and I'm rambling. Good luck with your search!

Old 08-20-2008, 06:45 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amarcel View Post
I am considering the Knoxville area, and have a couple of questions concerning the area specifics. I am 30 and single and will be moving to the area with my 2 dogs. I currently live in South Louisiana (about 45 mins South of New Orleans). I am looking for a town/area with people my age and close proximity to outdoor activities (and have some for my dogs). I'm not sure if Knoxville fits this, or if I should look into the surrounding areas. I have looked into some towns like Oak Ridge and Fountain City, but I'm not sure of others that may fit. I will be visiting the area in the next couple of months, and would like to get a couple of more ideas/places to evaluate when I'm there.

Thanks for the help.
I would not recommend Oak Ridge to a single 30 year old.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:46 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I have quite a few friends in FC (including our very own hiknapster here in this forum) and they are all madly in love with the place.
Yes. I am currently accepting neighbor reservations!

There is someone else on the forum that moved to Fountain City and made friends right away. I live in an older neighborhood, that is slowly transitioning, so the neighbors that we made friends with our retired, but that is okay, too.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:33 AM

197 posts, read 485,435 times
Do you like suburbs, more urban stuff, upscale-ish? Out in the country?
I'm 34 and a single woman. I have lived in west knox (Cedar Bluff area) for around 3 years. While it is totally safe and close to everything I might need, it is a very "suburban" feel. Minivans and SUVs, hummers, soccer moms. That is not a bad thing by any stretch! My neighborhood has a pool - it is filled with lots and lots of spirited children. I am about a mile from the dog park though, I have over an acre.
I am moving. I am going to rent out this house because it is not "me" and I am frankly tired of mowing so much grass and cleaning so much house.
I am moving to South Knoxville - in the South Woodlawn Neighborhood. A little more "earthy", a little less "polished". The house costs less than a third of my current house. It is half the size. There is a neighborhood association. There are city parks and an extensive greenway nearby. I am a couple miles from Ijams Nature Center. I am on the way to Seymore and the Mountains - which is nice since I go to Ober Gatlinburg to snowboard almost every weekend in the winter. It has easy access to the interstate. It has easy access to downtown. Crime is supposedly higher, but it can happen anywhere. My "beautiful" Cedar Bluff house was burglarized and cleaned out three months after I moved in... And I'm a more "Earthy" gal and I prefer to be more hands on and I would like to get involved in the Neighborhood association, the crime watch, etc. It depends on what you are looking for. There seem to be a lot of young/single/middle age/family folks/grad students in this area, but it is not a "rich" area as a whole (but be careful of stereotypes - Island Home, which is nearby, is absolutely BEAUTIFUL) Seems to be somewhat eclectic. Good if you like that.

There are other great places in and around Knoxville. These are just two I personally know. Both are great, but are very different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville