Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 09:54 PM

6 posts, read 20,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I am not normally a baby about this. I was one I first moved to Florida, but I think I grew use to the crime. I don't think Knoxville has a lot of crime for a small city. I hated Lee County, Florida, because you could trust no one, I don't care where you lived.

I'm a bit of a crime buff. My parents were in law enforcement for awhile, so not much shocks me, but this crime was really brutal. It was two nice young people minding there own business, visiting a decent apartment complex in the city. A couple of guys jacked them. They poured gasoline on the young man and set him on fire. The girl they raped, tortured (even pouring bleach in her mouth) and killed her. They think she may have been alive for 24 hours. A woman actually watched this! They've arrested five people.

I just can't get this crime out of my head.

I really wanted to move to the city. From what I've heard, innocent people were not preyed upon here. This has really shook me up.

JMT may be able to give you better info than me.
thats why that sort of thing usually happens from an outsider......werent they from Jackson,TN?

thats quite a ways away

bless the hearts of the victims' families
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 02:01 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
No, they were locals. The girl was from Farragut and the guy from Halls. She was a UT student. This is one of the most senseless things I've ever seen. They've now arrested someone else. How could all these people be involved in this? What I wonder is, are people in that area really that angry? I just don't get it.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:44 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
No, they were locals. The girl was from Farragut and the guy from Halls. She was a UT student. This is one of the most senseless things I've ever seen. They've now arrested someone else. How could all these people be involved in this? What I wonder is, are people in that area really that angry? I just don't get it.
I think the culprits were from out of town, or at least some of them were. As I recall, one of them was recently released from prison and came to Knoxville to live with a cousin or half-brother or something.

But no matter where they're from, it's just absolutely horrible. How a human being could do such things to another human being is unconscienable.

Old 02-07-2007, 07:24 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,608 times
I've only read a bit of this thread and the double murder posts caught my eye.

If it's an isolated incident, I don't feel you can judge an entire community on the actions of a few. I know East Knoxville can be a rough area, but I would guess this is a bizarre exception to the typical goings-on there.

We see this sort of thing in the news every day here in the NY/NJ area, simply because of the density of people here.

There are crazy, senseless people everywhere and you can't control where they go...and unfortunately sometimes one (or some) of them wind up in your hometown and wreak their havoc. But that doesn't make your town a bad town.

Even in a quiet, small town you see on the news sometimes, they get a bad egg there who does something terrible and puts that town "on the map".

Obviously, if it's an ongoing pattern then that's another matter...I don't live there, but I don't have the impression this is an everyday occurrance.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:58 AM

I'm not saying the entire community is like that. This is not Detroit!

This is a very odd crime. I read a lot of true crime stuff and this incident is REALLY bizarre. I find two serial killers together to be an odd set of circumstances. But to have this many people involved, especially the involvement of a woman while they torture and rape a girl for 24 hours is just grisly.

I don't think we'll really know what happened until the trial and could take years.,

Old 03-26-2007, 07:40 AM

1 posts, read 3,121 times
I'm from Knoxville and I'm sick of people here dancing around the issue. Hell, this case was barely covered in the local media, most likely because it would inflame the racial situation (the media covers up so much senseless violence because of race).

People here act as if this is some sort of "isolated incident." I'm not going to have someone come here, looking for information on Knoxville and become lied to.

This happened "over the train tracks" so to speak, into Magnolia territory. Magnolia is a section of Knoxville with one main street, with many others, that is predomiately Black, crime-filled, and has project housing.

Two UT Students were going to visit a friend and got a good grasp of a diverse society. They were carjacked, raped, the girl was tortured for days and gang raped, their bodies were both cut into pieces and the girl had bleach poured down her throat.

Here's a picture of the four "suspects:" [url]http://mylifeofcrime.files.wordpress.com/2007/01/suspect-row.JPG[/url] (there's a women too who showed up and did nothing and just left but she is not pictured).

Here are the victims, two UT students who had their entire lives infront of them: [url]http://mylifeofcrime.files.wordpress.com/2007/01/newsom-christian-200.jpg[/url]

They were killed by people who had just gotten out of prison. One was the members of the "Black Disiples" prison gang (a multicultural organization I'm sure).

Why is the media covering this case up? How many more must die for the lie?

Either way, it doesn't matter. This was no "isolated incident" it's the kind of typical behavior that occurs everyday all over the country that is covered up.

Knoxville is safe, East Knoxville (around Broadway) is safe, it's not West Towne but it's fine. Don't bother going to Magnolia if you value your safety.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:44 AM

The problem is that it didn't happen in Magnolia territory. It happened NORTH of I-40, which changed my thinking about the whole area.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:53 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
I want to move to Knoxville and I know no place is completely safe, but what areas should I avoid? Where is the "safest" place in Knoxville?

Old 03-27-2007, 09:28 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I want to move to Knoxville and I know no place is completely safe, but what areas should I avoid? Where is the "safest" place in Knoxville?
There are only a couple of questionable areas of Knoxville, and they're primarily in the 37914, 37915 and 37921 ZIP codes. Even then, most of the 37914 ZIP code is very safe. Generally, the farther from downtown you are, the safer the area.

When I lived in rural East Knox County (37914) it was amazingly safe. My neighbor worked in the E-911 office and said in the 7 years he was there, there had never been a call in that part of the county for anything except a bolt of lightning hitting a barn.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:34 AM

17 posts, read 84,298 times
I currently live in West Knoxville (was born and raised here and am 31 years old) In my opinion, I would not consider living anywhere else in Knoxville except maybe N. Knoxville. The real estate market does very well in WEST knoxville... and it has the most development, nicest neighborhoods, lowest crime, and better schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville