Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2008, 11:54 AM

2 posts, read 4,716 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My family and I recently took a vacation to Pigeon Forge. We absolutely fell in love with the place. The people were so kind and nice, and the mountains are just beautiful. We loved it so much, we are planning on moving up there in the next couple of years. Right now we live in steamy, hot Florida. Don't get me wrong, Florida is beautiful in it's own right, but not like it is in Tennessee.
Anyway, we are thinking of the Sevierville, Knoxsville area and I was wondering if anyone knew where we could get some information on schools (for our grandchildren), employment, etc... It's hard to find on the internet when you don't really know where to look.
We can't wait to move. We don't want to go with out our daughter and grandchildren, and our oldest grandson wants to go to middle school here, but if we can find a good school, he might change his mind. At least, that's what we are hoping for.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you so very much, and God bless. You have a beautiful state!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 12:47 PM

611 posts, read 1,459,047 times
Just for starters, you can probably look through some previous topics that have been posted on the Knoxville board. You can use the search function if you're looking for something specific (it should be on the blue bar near the top of your page), but other than that, I suggest combing through as many semi-relevant threads as you can find - there's a wealth of information to be found from previous posts and questions that have been asked.

Aside from that, I'm sure the members here will be glad to give you some additional advice. Best of luck!

Old 08-08-2008, 01:32 PM

780 posts, read 1,765,763 times
Default Tn

Hi, moved here from Steamy Fl also, lived in FL all my life(64 yrs)and I love it here in Tn. We moved to a little town called Seymour, its about 15 minutes North of Sevierville/Pigeon Forge and about 20 min South of Knoxville, its in a valley surrounded by gorgeous mountain views. I dont know a lot about the schools here but I do know several of the entertainers that own Theaters in Pigeon Forge live here in Seymour in fact one of them's daughter just graduated from High School and got a Scholarship to TN so I guess that might speak some for the High School.

Its a nice quiet town, far enough from the tourist traffic but close enough that there is always something to do, we go to the shows all the time since we get locals specials and get in a lot of the shows for free or really cheap prices. Seymour has a lot of homes for sale/rent and the place I live in is Rentals/Townhouse and we love it here, its a place a lot of people start off in when they first move here to see if they are going to like living in TN, they have short term leases. If you want to know more you can DM me.

Good luck in your decision, I miss my family, they are still in Fl but I am here for the long haul.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:06 PM

49 posts, read 146,639 times
Default Findind info on schools

www.kcs.k12tn.net

That should get you started

Old 08-19-2008, 08:58 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,388,986 times
Gailli gives good advise, and that area affords many choices. Seymour is only 15 minutes to downtown K-town, so depending on your job, then you might want to look at other places. You can visit kgis.org and that has plenty of information, about schools. Good luck, and move on up.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:31 AM

52 posts, read 200,629 times
Default Moving to TN

Memeskids,

I concur with what gailli and oldmanbo have said. We are from MN and experienced the same feelings when we first visted the the area and fell in love with mountains. Our goal is to move to the Sevierville / Seymour area within 2 years. We have found the people there to be very warm and welcoming. In fact, we are going back there next week to visit with friends that we have made over the last few years.

Property taxes are very reasonable and the four seasons (with the mild winters) provide a nice climate. Keep us updated as to your future move to beautiful TN.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:11 PM

780 posts, read 1,765,763 times
Default Seymour

If you choose Seymour you will be happy, its beautiful here, convenient here and the people here are great, just wish I could meet a few to hang with, well, I guess I havent really tried in Seymour to meet people as most of the friends I have made are in Strawberry Plains, Maryville and Knoxville and I dont want to move from Seymour so I commute to my friends, someday I will meet some friends here I'm sure. good luck to all that plan to move here

Old 08-26-2008, 11:09 AM

2 posts, read 4,716 times
Thank you all so much for the information. We're wishing that we could move sooner, but we don't want to leave our grandkids. We're coming in December, looking forward to seeing what it's like then.
I will check out all of the information that you all were so kind to give me. We're hoping to start a business, but don't know what type yet. I would love a Bed & Breakfast, but hubby said that would be to expensive. We'll have to look into things. I will check out Seymour and see what's up there. We're looking for about 5-8 acres of land to build on, or we might buy a house. At least we have some time, but it goes so fast.
We survived the tropical storm, but now have a hurricane to maybe worry about. We won't miss that! What kind of winters do you have? Do you get any snow at Christmas time? I miss that.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:24 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,780,073 times
Not much snow, maybe a dusting here and there. Winters tend to be cool and rainy, with sunny periods and occasional cold periods. Typical day: 54/34
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville