U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2007, 10:22 AM

6,759 posts, read 10,762,041 times

Advertisements

Being new to the area, I really don't know how much of a drive it would be to different types of vacations. Was wondering if anyone could give any ideas as me and my wife will be looking for a 2-3 day getaway in the upcoming month.

Here's what we would prefer:

Relatively short drive (2-6 hours)
Non tourist trap area, quiet and peaceful.
Just want a decent place to stay that is pet friendly, hotel or cabin is fine.
Outdoor activities, even if its just some nice parks, museums, beaches, or leisure.

I know about some decent areas in the Smokies, but was wondering what else there is to choose from.

Thanks for any help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2007, 11:11 AM

12,388 posts, read 34,527,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Being new to the area, I really don't know how much of a drive it would be to different types of vacations. Was wondering if anyone could give any ideas as me and my wife will be looking for a 2-3 day getaway in the upcoming month.

Outdoor activities, even if its just some nice parks, museums, beaches, or leisure.

I know about some decent areas in the Smokies, but was wondering what else there is to choose from.

Thanks for any help!
Have you checked out Fall Creek Falls State Park? It's the most popular state park in Tennessee, it's about 2.5 hours SW of Knoxville. It's one of Tennessee's "resort" parks, so it's not very rustic. It's got two different kinds of cabins: cabins that are over the water (for fishing) and cabins that are on slopes overlooking the lake. There's also a really nice lodge with an excellent restaurant. The highest waterfall east of the Rockies is in the park, as are several other waterfalls, miles of paved trails, bike rentals, horseback riding, swinging bridges, and just incredibly beautiful, peaceful countryside.
http://state.tn.us/environment/parks/FallCreekFalls/

Old 02-04-2007, 12:10 PM

35,747 posts, read 35,538,308 times
Quote:

Thanks for any help!
Since you don't say where you are, try the State Parks:

http://www.state.tn.us/environment/parks/findapark/

The website divides the parks up into what's in East, Middle and West Tennessee. You can then click on the park to find out more info about it and then ask us if there is anything to do in the surrounding area.

I'll just give you one idea. Recommend you do this in the Spring or Fall.

Stay in Oak Ridge (there are hotels you would be familiar with that you can stay at.) Pick up a picnic lunch in Oak Ridge (a number of places like Panera Bread are near the hotels). Drive up to Norris Dam State Park. The Lenoir Museum (items of early settlement and everyday life in East Tennessee, Native American artifacts) is right in the park. Norris Dam State Park is about 45 minutes away (north) from Oak Ridge and it is a pleasant ride. (Oak Ridge Turnpike turns into 61E (you'll be in Clinton), merge onto I-75 on the left, exit I-75 at Exit 128 US 441 toward Lake City. Follow the signs. You will be on a wooded windy road. The Park entrance will eventually come up on your left.

If you don't want to go into the Park, keep following the windy 441 road. You'll see several lookouts where you can pull off the road and view the dam, water and surrounding area. Stop at all of them especially the first one. They go from high to low elevations. That is, as you progress down the road, the lookouts (scenic views) will be at lower elevations. The last spot (water level) you can stop is the marina. (you are now heading in a south east direction). You'll see a sign on your right for a shortcut to the Museum of Appalachia. Take it. The Museum will come up quickly on your right. You can easily spend 4 hours there. Make sure you go when the weather is nice for walking around. You can get something to eat in there as well. They have a website so check it out. They have a few special events there that I am told are wonderful and you might want to time your visit to attend one of those events like Tennessee Homecoming, Christmas In Old Appalachia, July 4 Celebration and Anvil Shoot. Again, to find out about the museum and events, visit the Museum of Appalachia website. I missed Tennessee Fall Homecoming by 1 day when I visited. When you exit the Museum go right. You'll be on Rte 61 heading back to Oak Ridge.

Other things to do in the area: Google the "Oak Ridge Convention and Visitor's Bureau." Visit the American Museum of Science and Energy. Stop at the Visitor's Center/Wecome Center (next door to the Museum) and rent or buy the auto tour CD or Cassette that you can do at your own pace in your own vehicle to see some of the historic places in Oak Ridge. (You can download the auto tour brochure from the Visitor's website).

If you are in Oak Ridge during a scheduled rowing regatta, you might want to drive over to Melton Hill Lake. The 2007 schedule is here:

http://www.orra.org/regattas.html (broken link)

You didn't mention kids but the town also has a Children's Museum.

If you like to fish, there is a public fishing dock on Edgemoor Rd right after you pass Haw Ridge Park (same side of the street) and Centennial (public) Golf Course (opposite side of the street). If you have a boat, between Haw Ridge Park and the public fishing dock is a boat launch. (I was there in October. I saw 2 women fishing and 1 guy launching a boat on a weekday morning. Didn't see anyone else.)

In neighboring Clinton (you went through Clinton to get to Norris Dam), there are antiques stores.

Oak Ridge's big festival in their Secret City Festival June 15 - 16 which includes WWII reenactments, a bicylcle stunt show, a robot, antiques, collectibles and food vendors and entertainment to name a few things. This year the Oak Ridge Boys will perform.

The area where the hotels/motels are located is surrounded by places to eat.

If this area isn't your cup of tea, you might want to search this forum for the Tennessee Factoids thread for ideas.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:30 PM

6,759 posts, read 10,762,041 times
Oops! I meant to put that "we know some decent areas in the smokies because we live in Knoxville".

Yep, so 2-6 hours from K-ville.

Good recommendations so far, and all relatively short drives. We don't mind driving except our families live 7+ hours away, so we really don't want to drive that much for vacations too. And unfortunately, Knoxville's airport flat out sucks as far as flight rates go. You will easily pay 40-60% more for flights out of Knoxville compared to Nashville or Atlanta, but those are both 2+ hours of driving just to get to the airport.

The Fall Creek Falls is a place we've wanted to check out anyway, I just didn't know how good the lodging is, but sounds good. Also, have heard a lot of good things about Norris Dam State Park which would actually be a pretty short drive of about an hour or slightly more. Will do more looking in to these!

Old 02-04-2007, 05:07 PM

35,747 posts, read 35,538,308 times
Quote:
Oops! I meant to put that "we know some decent areas in the smokies because we live in Knoxville".

Yep, so 2-6 hours from K-ville.

Good recommendations so far, and all relatively short drives. . Also, have heard a lot of good things about Norris Dam State Park which would actually be a pretty short drive of about an hour or slightly more. Will do more looking in to these!
Try to stop at the Museum of Appalachia on the way home, if you go to Norris Dam. You could actually do both in the same day coming from Knoxville, wouldn't even have to stay overnight anywhere and would be home before dark. If you swing up Pellissippi (RT 162) from I-40, turn on the Oak Ridge Turnpike (north), and then follow the other directions I gave, you could do the park, the dam overlooks and the museum all in one day if you got to the park by morning and the museum by early afternoon. You might want to stop in a gas station and pick up an Oak Ridge/Anderson County Street Map. Think of it like a lollipop. You go up the stick, then the left side of the lollipop, around the top of the lollipop (Park and dam) and then drop right back down on the right side of the lolli pop (Museum of Appalachia) to the stick, again. In other words, you'll come full circle as the elevation drops and won't have to go back, the way you came up. Wouldn't do it in the winter. 441 is a windy mountain road.

Old 02-04-2007, 09:40 PM

12,388 posts, read 34,527,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Try to stop at the Museum of Appalachia on the way home, if you go to Norris Dam. You could actually do both in the same day coming from Knoxville, wouldn't even have to stay overnight anywhere and would be home before dark. If you swing up Pellissippi (RT 162) from I-40, turn on the Oak Ridge Turnpike (north), and then follow the other directions I gave, you could do the park, the dam overlooks and the museum all in one day if you got to the park by morning and the museum by early afternoon. You might want to stop in a gas station and pick up an Oak Ridge/Anderson County Street Map. Think of it like a lollipop. You go up the stick, then the left side of the lollipop, around the top of the lollipop (Park and dam) and then drop right back down on the right side of the lolli pop (Museum of Appalachia) to the stick, again. In other words, you'll come full circle as the elevation drops and won't have to go back, the way you came up. Wouldn't do it in the winter. 441 is a windy mountain road.
The Museum of Appalachia and Norris Dam--as well as the little town of Norris--are definitely worthwhile.

However, they're right off I-75. There's no need to go into Oak Ridge and up through Clinton to get there, unless you just want to experience traffic and red lights. From Knoxville, just head up I-75 north, I believe it's Exit 122 (the exit for Norris). It's about one mile east of I-75.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or