U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-10-2008, 01:11 PM
 
8 posts, read 39,007 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

Hi there,
I am new to the forums,Me and my hubby currently are living in Iowa.We went to Gatlinburg on a very nice vacation and it was so peaceful,it felt like home away from home.So we have been wanting to move to TN but near Knoxville,We were considering Knoxville but then I had noticed most housing has burglary alarms so I checked on the crime rates and they seemed very high,so this is not something I want to fear when I move.Are there any low crime places to live not far from Knoxville? If possible.I love the privacy of TN living, walking outside in my tiny bikini ,but don't want the fear of someone robbing me ect.Thank you for all and any answers.
WW
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-10-2008, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Maryville, TN
339 posts, read 1,135,710 times
Reputation: 201
Maryville's crime index is below the nation's average, for 2006. 209.8

Maryville is within a 30 minute drive to Knoxville (or closer, depending on where you choose to work and live). It can be further also. We moved south of Maryville, with an awesome view of Chilhowee Mtn, and I commute to the west side of Knoxville. It's a 45 minute drive.

Maryville is a wonderful city. I've never regretted the drive to work, ever. But, we wanted to be close to the mountains and the extra drive was worth it for us. Others won't feel the same way.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2008, 02:59 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
780 posts, read 1,687,313 times
Reputation: 265
Seymour is also a great place, small suburb of Knoxville in Sevier county so you are halfway between Knoxville and Sevierville and surrounded by mountains. Its beautiful and very quiet here, you live close enough that you can go to Gatlinburg any time you want in about 30 minutes. Pigeon forge is only about 15 min.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2008, 03:31 PM
 
13,025 posts, read 37,075,628 times
Reputation: 10332
Quote:
Originally Posted by windywhipper View Post
We were considering Knoxville but then I had noticed most housing has burglary alarms
Huh? Where on earth were you in Knoxville that "most housing" had burglar alarms? That's news to me, and I've lived in 6 different neighborhoods throughout Knoxville. I currently live in what some would consider to be a so-so neighborhood, and only one house on my street has a burglar alarm. I was out of the country for a month last summer and accidentally left my front door opened and nothing happened.

But if you've made up your mind that Knoxville has a lot of property crime, then just about any suburb will probably be more to your liking. As has already been mentioned, Maryville is a nice small city with low crime. Seymour isn't an actual town (there's no town council or mayor) but it's a beautiful area with lots of space and friendly people (like gailli!) and it's convenient to downtown Knoxville and the Smoky Mountains.

Depending on how far out you want to go and how rural you want, you might also want to check out:
  • Kingston (right on a lake)
  • Dandridge (right on another lake)
  • Lenoir City (on yet another lake)
  • Norris (yup, on a lake--we have lots of lakes around here!)
  • Rutledge (one of the most beautiful drives around is the road between Rutledge and Knoxville. Rutledge is also home to East Tennessee's beloved Grainger County tomatoes and strawberries.)

Good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2008, 03:41 PM
 
8 posts, read 39,007 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Huh? Where on earth were you in Knoxville that "most housing" had burglar alarms? That's news to me, and I've lived in 6 different neighborhoods throughout Knoxville. I currently live in what some would consider to be a so-so neighborhood, and only one house on my street has a burglar alarm. I was out of the country for a month last summer and accidentally left my front door opened and nothing happened.

But if you've made up your mind that Knoxville has a lot of property crime, then just about any suburb will probably be more to your liking. As has already been mentioned, Maryville is a nice small city with low crime. Seymour isn't an actual town (there's no town council or mayor) but it's a beautiful area with lots of space and friendly people (like gailli!) and it's convenient to downtown Knoxville and the Smoky Mountains.

Depending on how far out you want to go and how rural you want, you might also want to check out:
  • Kingston (right on a lake)
  • Dandridge (right on another lake)
  • Lenoir City (on yet another lake)
  • Norris (yup, on a lake--we have lots of lakes around here!)
  • Rutledge (one of the most beautiful drives around is the road between Rutledge and Knoxville. Rutledge is also home to East Tennessee's beloved Grainger County tomatoes and strawberries.)
Good luck!
Two homes I have currently looked at online one in Powell and one in Knoxville both has alarms .
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2008, 03:51 PM
 
13,025 posts, read 37,075,628 times
Reputation: 10332
Quote:
Originally Posted by windywhipper View Post
Two homes I have currently looked at online one in Powell and one in Knoxville both has alarms .
Powell isn't in Knoxville.

I have a lot of friends here in Knoxville, and not a single one of them has an alarm at their house.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2008, 03:55 PM
 
Location: The Conterminous United States
22,583 posts, read 51,530,127 times
Reputation: 13563
Powell is the suburbs. Very nice area. Very low crime.

The reason that they mention alarms in the MLS is because it is a selling point. People like them like they like granite counter tops. It is "in" and not indicative of the crime rate.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2008, 03:59 PM
 
8 posts, read 39,007 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Powell is the suburbs. Very nice area. Very low crime.

The reason that they mention alarms in the MLS is because it is a selling point. People like them like they like granite counter tops. It is "in" and not indicative of the crime rate.
Humm,oddly you may be correct ,but it kinda turns me off ,to me not a good sell point but to each their own
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2008, 04:49 PM
 
Location: The Conterminous United States
22,583 posts, read 51,530,127 times
Reputation: 13563
I know I'm correct. I lived on one side of it and then on the other. We have a good friend that lives in a subdivision there. It is your standard suburb. In fact, probably LESS crime then your average subdivision. It's very white-bread.

For the past three years we took our daughter trick-or-treating there because it was safe and the people give out good candy!

The "town" center consists of a high school, a small park with water fountains for children to play in, two gas stations, two mom-and-pop restaurants, a locally-owned pharmacy. They just opened a fast food chicken place. Very exciting.

//www.city-data.com/city/Powell-Tennessee.html

Oh, and if you were checking on the crime stats, you were checking on the stats for the entire area, not just Powell.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2008, 05:16 PM
 
8 posts, read 39,007 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I know I'm correct. I lived on one side of it and then on the other. We have a good friend that lives in a subdivision there. It is your standard suburb. In fact, probably LESS crime then your average subdivision. It's very white-bread.

For the past three years we took our daughter trick-or-treating there because it was safe and the people give out good candy!

The "town" center consists of a high school, a small park with water fountains for children to play in, two gas stations, two mom-and-pop restaurants, a locally-owned pharmacy. They just opened a fast food chicken place. Very exciting.

//www.city-data.com/city/Powell-Tennessee.html

Oh, and if you were checking on the crime stats, you were checking on the stats for the entire area, not just Powell.

So Powell is low crime, Sweet! Thanks how can I find others opinions on Powell or people who live there?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:44 PM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top