Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 07:00 PM

43 posts, read 122,474 times

Advertisements

Hello to all. I have started to speak to a real estate agent in Knoxville. She keeps telling me that to get a decent house I will need to spend about 100,000 dollars. I was asking her some questions about the homes in the Knoxville area that are 50 to 70 thousand...just because I dont want to move there and do the same thing I am doing here, meaning that I don't want to work my *** off just to pay for my house and struggle so hard. I would like to move there, possible start my own business, and make a future for myself and my family. I dont fully trust ANY real estate agent....so I wanted to ask the people that live there. She said that those houses are in very bad disrepair and in neighborhoods full of foreclosures and the condemed. What do you think? I dont need a perfect house...my house now needs some repairs. Please let me know in your experience. Thanks a thousand times over!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 07:50 PM

408 posts, read 1,977,351 times
Considering what my family members have paid for homes recently, sold homes for, and price of those listed in neighborhoods my family members live in- I would say yes, it will take $100,000 or close to it to find something good in a decent neighborhood. I can offer you more detailed/persona info in a private message if you would like.
Also, if you could tell us addresses/areas of some of those 50-70 thousand dollar homes those of us who know the area could probably tell you more about it.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:55 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insanesmooch View Post
Considering what my family members have paid for homes recently, sold homes for, and price of those listed in neighborhoods my family members live in- I would say yes, it will take $100,000 or close to it to find something good in a decent neighborhood. I can offer you more detailed/persona info in a private message if you would like.
Also, if you could tell us addresses/areas of some of those 50-70 thousand dollar homes those of us who know the area could probably tell you more about it.
I have to agree with insanesmooch.

Having said that, it is possible to find cheaper homes, but it depends on what you want and how far out you want to live. I live in a very clean neighborhood just north of downtown, and I paid $70k for my house in August. However, my house is also pretty small, just 2BR/1BA, 1000 square feet. My home is also old (1947) but has the creature comforts: dishwasher, central heat and air, gas fireplace, hardwood floors. So it is possible to find something decent. How large of a house do you want? Where in Knoxville will you be working?

Old 02-06-2007, 08:30 PM

390 posts, read 1,701,152 times
Default Also have questions....

I am also curious about housing prices in the knoxville area. I hope my questions piggy back on yours, as I do not want to hijack your thread, watotn. It seems most of the homes with the space and amenities we want run about 140,000+. My husband and I are 30 somethings (though my dear hubby is pushing 40 ) with an 18mo old daughter and hopefully future sibling(s) for her.

We like the idea of Knoxville, because my hubby does employee benefits, as well as individual health, life, disability, etc. and Knoxville is strong in employment and business according to our research.

I have my masters in social work and do therapy with foster kids (about 10 years post grad experience), and will be licensed prior to move (LCSW), but am not sure if I will be working upon moving due to wanting to be home to take care of the family until everyone's in school. But if I do need to work outside of the home, I should be able to find a position fairly easily, I would think.

For a family interested in nondenominational church, family activities, parks, nature, museums, music, and down the road schools (public or private), what areas would you focus on and which would you stay away from? I think another thread mentioned the west side is better than east? We ould like a nice sized yard, but don't need multiple acres, though we would not turn it down with the right price, either. We live in an area where yards are often postage stamp size now (lol), so a bigger yard for our daughter to run around and play in would be so nice. I want big beautiful trees!

Also, my inlaws would be making the move and they are on a fixed income, so we would like for them to live in a safe but extremely affordable neighborhood within 10-15 minutes of us. Any thoughts with that factored in, as well?

Thank you so much for your help!
Robin

Old 02-06-2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbyrd View Post
I am also curious about housing prices in the knoxville area. I hope my questions piggy back on yours, as I do not want to hijack your thread, watotn. It seems most of the homes with the space and amenities we want run about 140,000+. My husband and I are 30 somethings (though my dear hubby is pushing 40 ) with an 18mo old daughter and hopefully future sibling(s) for her.

We like the idea of Knoxville, because my hubby does employee benefits, as well as individual health, life, disability, etc. and Knoxville is strong in employment and business according to our research.

I have my masters in social work and do therapy with foster kids (about 10 years post grad experience), and will be licensed prior to move (LCSW), but am not sure if I will be working upon moving due to wanting to be home to take care of the family until everyone's in school. But if I do need to work outside of the home, I should be able to find a position fairly easily, I would think.

For a family interested in nondenominational church, family activities, parks, nature, museums, music, and down the road schools (public or private), what areas would you focus on and which would you stay away from? I think another thread mentioned the west side is better than east? We ould like a nice sized yard, but don't need multiple acres, though we would not turn it down with the right price, either. We live in an area where yards are often postage stamp size now (lol), so a bigger yard for our daughter to run around and play in would be so nice. I want big beautiful trees!

Also, my inlaws would be making the move and they are on a fixed income, so we would like for them to live in a safe but extremely affordable neighborhood within 10-15 minutes of us. Any thoughts with that factored in, as well?

Thank you so much for your help!
Robin
Is $140k your limit? If so, you probably won't be able to live in West Knox. North Knox County (Halls, Karns, Powell) is much more affordable and also has excellent schools. It's all one big school system anyway, so each school follows the same curriculum, has the same testing, the same salaries, the same goals.

Oak Ridge would be an excellent place for schools, museums, parks, etc., but I don't think $140k would get you much there, either.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:45 PM

No, our limit is about 175k....any suggestions given that?

Old 02-06-2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbyrd View Post
No, our limit is about 175k....any suggestions given that?
You can definitely find some decent places in Northwest Knox--Karns, Powell, Hardin Valley. In fact, they're building a brand new high school in Hardin Valley. And that part of Knox County is very convenient to West Knox and Oak Ridge.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:51 PM

Default Thanks!

Thank you, gives me a starting place until we can make the trip to check it out further! Appreciate the info!

Old 02-07-2007, 02:23 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
I am looking for a $100,000 home right now, and I know the MLS backwards and forwards. I'm on it everyday. The real estate agent is not lying to you. The $50,000 to $70,000 houses are exactly what she says they are. Prices have gone up since I first moved here 16 months ago. Stick with that Realtor.

Old 02-07-2007, 07:51 AM

43 posts, read 122,474 times
Thanks for the replies!! I just did not want to get taken for a ride!!! Educating myself on what to expect! Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville