Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 05:22 PM

409 posts, read 872,735 times

Advertisements

One thing I have noticed from reading the Knoxville media online is the treatment of the Criminal Defense Bar.

Some lawyers are almost treated like Rock Stars, given regular front page stories or paid to be TV play by play commentators about trials . I know that in other cities you see the occasional profile, but nothing like what I've seen in Knoxville.

Makes me wonder about the court system and if it might be tilted to the defendants in a way that doesn't really prevent repeat offenders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 09:24 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmagex View Post
One thing I have noticed from reading the Knoxville media online is the treatment of the Criminal Defense Bar.

Some lawyers are almost treated like Rock Stars, given regular front page stories or paid to be TV play by play commentators about trials . I know that in other cities you see the occasional profile, but nothing like what I've seen in Knoxville.

Makes me wonder about the court system and if it might be tilted to the defendants in a way that doesn't really prevent repeat offenders.
What???????

Old 07-31-2010, 02:13 PM

424 posts, read 1,293,959 times
I have lived in Lancaster, Ohio (Crime rating 352), Columbus, Ohio (621) Wilmington, NC (516) and now Knoxville and I can say that there is really little difference in crime rates between them.

It is much more important to pull crime reports for the specific area you intend to live which are available through the Knox County Sheriff. Most crime tends to be isolated to certain areas as with most cities.

Trying to compare cities based on crime statistics alone is really not comparing apples to apples. The cultures, economic structure and other variables that could impact the stats such as reporting variances render such comparisons inaccurate.

Pulling real crime reports allows you to see who called the police and what the outcome was. This is much more helpful than relying on news media or general City-Data crime stats for this.

Hope this helps!

Old 07-31-2010, 10:01 PM

187 posts, read 460,368 times
I went to college at UNCW in Wilmington for a year,And yeah i can agree that Knox and Wilmington does have about the same crime rate...Wilmington's crime was very focused on the downtown area tho with all the late nights and bars around,Robberies and fights were the norm in Wilmington mostly...I never felt at all unsafe in Wilmington tho..I liked it there alot,But i also stayed mostly in the Landfall area as well,So crime really was never a problem there...Knox's crime is much more spread out than it is in Wilmington,And most of the crime here seems to be mostly drug related,As in Wilmington it was only drug related in a few well known areas...I can't speak for Columbus and Lancaster Ohio,But i can speak for Cincy,And say that Wilmington and Knox's crime combined probably wouldn't add up to Cincy's crime problem..Not to mention Cincy is also probably the dirtest city i've ever spent some time in

Old 08-01-2010, 12:42 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,780,380 times
Quote:

Old 08-01-2010, 06:53 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
Quote:
I've heard they go easy on simple break ins but come down real hard on home invasions when somebody's home. I've found having an extra car in the driveway to be a great crime deterrant. That and vigilant neighbors.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:14 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I've heard they go easy on simple break ins but come down real hard on home invasions when somebody's home. I've found having an extra car in the driveway to be a great crime deterrant. That and vigilant neighbors.
It's like that everywhere and yes, I mean the court system. I worked as a newspaper reporter in a court system in Massachusetts. I saw crimes and sentences for ten solid years, day in and day out. It all depends on the defendant, of course, their record and such. But if it is a smaller crime with someone that has no record it is going to be less. If they have a long record, though, or were already on probation or parole, they are going to get a much higher sentence.

I know of no court system that looks favorably on home invasion. Even Florida, and it is BIG there, with all the rich retirees.

And the notion that we let people go because the attorneys are rock stars is ludicrous. Most defendants get court-appointed public defenders that get paid very, very, very little. No rock stars there. Most have less money than you and me.

And this is conservative country. No one is going easy on criminals around here. Law enforcement is highly professional, though, and has an excellent track record.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:52 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,784,754 times
Quote:

I'd love to see what it is you are seeing because none of the local media that I read or watch fits the description. The only heavily covered trials or court cases have been for the Christain-Newsome murder trial, and the various UT sport team miscreants. My personal favorite ended sadly... poor Popcorn, bless his heart.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:26 PM

358 posts, read 999,606 times
Based on "feelings" and not stats...I was born and raised in New Orleans and lived in Jackson, MS for 25 years before moving to Knoxville. I would walk around downtown Knoxville alone at midnight in furs and diamonds, holding $100 bills before I'd EVER feel safe sitting locked up in a house in either N.O. or Jackson. And it still amazes me how the police here seem to actually SOLVE crimes within a relatively short amount of time.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:46 PM

187 posts, read 460,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inave View Post
Based on "feelings" and not stats...I was born and raised in New Orleans and lived in Jackson, MS for 25 years before moving to Knoxville. I would walk around downtown Knoxville alone at midnight in furs and diamonds, holding $100 bills before I'd EVER feel safe sitting locked up in a house in either N.O. or Jackson. And it still amazes me how the police here seem to actually SOLVE crimes within a relatively short amount of time.

I can totally agree with the comment about N.O...I spent 5 days in the 504 last year,And by like the 2nd night there...I was ready to leave..No one really is safe from crime in that city...Its always been like that really,But it seems like after Katrina it just has gotten worse...Far as Jackson Miss goes..I went there a few times when i was younger,But i never really thought of it as being crime ridden or anything...To me it felt more like a slightly poorer version of Knox...And i agree,The Police dept here does do a really good job of solving crimes..The only thing i have somewhat of a beef with,Is the justice dept now...To many repeat criminals walking around with only slaps on the hand,But its also not like murders are getting out after 5 to 10 years either,So its not really as bad as some other places atleast
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville