U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 02:03 PM

379 posts, read 772,164 times

Advertisements

I've been reading the News Sentinel online and looking at several websites of the Knoxville TV stations. Quite a bit of the coverage seems to be on violent crime. Is that just the habit of the media to play up crime stories or is the crime rate higher in the Knoxville area than in an urban area of the same size?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 06:58 PM

2,060 posts, read 6,382,102 times
you can do searches in this forum for crime information. It has been discussed recently. Yes I think the media loves to talk about it. I do not know what cities are equivalent to Knoxville in size / population, but it is my personal opinion that Knoxville is a pretty safe place to live.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:36 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,209,633 times
Sorry you found the bad, but Knoxville for its size, has relativley little crime, and a lot has to do with the parts of town. You can search on the city-data.com site, and see all areas.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:44 AM

1 posts, read 3,216 times
Actually, I disagree and Knoxville has a high crime index compared to the national average. It is ranked around 8 of 10 on a national average in violent crimes. I live in West Knoxville, the Sequoyah/ Lyon's Bend area, and we are supposed to be a safer part of Knoxville. Yet, our neighborhood has had 2 inhome robberies during the day within the past week. Also, our local Food City has criminals hanging out in the parking lot waiting to robb people of prescription drugs. I would NOT recommend moving to Knoxville (although, I have lived here my whole life....crime is increasing as is the gap between rich and poor).

Old 07-26-2010, 06:18 AM

187 posts, read 431,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah E.H. View Post
Actually, I disagree and Knoxville has a high crime index compared to the national average. It is ranked around 8 of 10 on a national average in violent crimes. I live in West Knoxville, the Sequoyah/ Lyon's Bend area, and we are supposed to be a safer part of Knoxville. Yet, our neighborhood has had 2 inhome robberies during the day within the past week. Also, our local Food City has criminals hanging out in the parking lot waiting to robb people of prescription drugs. I would NOT recommend moving to Knoxville (although, I have lived here my whole life....crime is increasing as is the gap between rich and poor).

Yeah i agree...Knox does have a pretty high crime rate for a city its size...Knox was the 41st most dangerous city in 2009 according to all the crime stats ratings...With an average of 12 murders per 100k people thats twice the national average of around 6 murders per 100k...The media is always gonna show and talk about violent crime..They wouldn't be doing there job if they didn't talk about it...Most of the crime here is drug related and sadly its really only getting worse and worse...I wouldn't be afraid to live here,But you do gotta be careful of your surroundings at all times thats for sure...I have never been a victim of any crime here and i have lived here all but 2 or 3 years of my 27 years...well once my car got broken into in my own driveway at like 4 am but i made the mistake of leaving it unlocked,So it was kinda my fault...I would say if you take Meds,then it would be the best bet to just get em online instead of going to a pharmacy to get em and then don't let anyone know you have em and that along could probably save you from being a victim of any sorts

Some cities with about the same Population as Knox..Would be Lexington Ky,Greensboro NC,Greenville SC,Huntsville Alabama,Chattanooga...You can check them out crime stats wise and all of those cities have a lower overall crime rate than Knox...I know for a fact that Greensboro population is around 220k and Knox is around 185k...In 2009 Greensboro had 18 total murders and Knox had 22...Lex and Chatt both had 16 or 17 i think..So yeah i would say compared to other cities its size..Knox does rank pretty high crime wise

Last edited by hondaguy83; 07-26-2010 at 06:26 AM..

Old 07-26-2010, 09:54 PM

22,583 posts, read 51,537,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah E.H. View Post
Interesting...

I own a business in the Bearden/Sequoyah area. Granted, we have not been in business very long, but I can assure you that I have a lot of very expensive equipment on my property and I have not heard anything like this. Food City? In the Bearden area? I've never seen such a thing. This is a very affluent area. Crime happens everywhere but I have never seen criminals hanging around in that parking lot.

TN counts their crime very differently than some other states, including Florida. If someone is charged with five crimes, in Knoxville it is counted as five incidents, while in Florida it is counted as one.

I can assure you that I am quite happy to move from Florida to Knoxville. Originally, I was a crime reporter in New England for ten years. Although I lived and worked in a low-crime area I can tell you that crime does, indeed, happen everywhere.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:58 AM

199 posts, read 489,595 times
Not that this is based on any sort of statistic, but I lived in New York City for a time and I always felt safer walking around there than I ever did walking around Knoxville, be it downtown or the neighborhood I grew up in. Maybe it was the lack of people?

Old 07-27-2010, 01:17 PM

22,583 posts, read 51,537,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwair View Post
Not that this is based on any sort of statistic, but I lived in New York City for a time and I always felt safer walking around there than I ever did walking around Knoxville, be it downtown or the neighborhood I grew up in. Maybe it was the lack of people?
My dad was born in the Bronx. Half my family is New Yorkers. Although New York City is one of the safest cities in the country comparing its crime to Knoxville is preposterous. But I can't argue with your "feelings." They are what they are. I do take the fact that you were born and raised in this area, and for whatever reason you don't lilke it, into account.

I think that, in the end, you are a Yankee that was born in The South and I'm a Southerner born in The North.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:42 PM

207 posts, read 609,570 times
One issue is that people will not only have very different perceptions of crime rates, but also different actual risk levels. An obvious factor is neighborhood, but another is lifestyle. If you are often walking through Fort Sanders, the Old City, or downtown around 2-3am, then you are at quite a bit higher risk than someone who is in bed by 9pm and only visits downtown during the day.

The first person may consider Knoxville to be dangerous and the second may consider it to be safe. In terms of personal risk level, they both may be right.

Also, if you have a prescription for pain meds, then you should apparently keep that very secret. If only the addicts would get hooked on birth control instead of Oxycontin...

Old 07-27-2010, 09:05 PM

199 posts, read 489,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
My dad was born in the Bronx. Half my family is New Yorkers. Although New York City is one of the safest cities in the country comparing its crime to Knoxville is preposterous. But I can't argue with your "feelings." They are what they are. I do take the fact that you were born and raised in this area, and for whatever reason you don't lilke it, into account.

I think that, in the end, you are a Yankee that was born in The South and I'm a Southerner born in The North.

I think you may be right!

I really do think it's just the lack of people/lights. To this day when I walk around my childhood neighborhood (Pleasant Ridge/West Haven/Norwood area) I am convinced a boogie man is going to jump out of the trees and get me because it's so dark and there's no one outside once the sun goes down. Even with my dogs!

New York is always populated and lit. There are some unlit parts, but smart people generally don't travel through those.

That's the comparison I was trying to make. Not the crime levels... just the overall sense of "holy crap it's dark and I'm by myself."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville